Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What a great event at the Trailblazer 10k today. Lovely scenery although I spent most of my time looking at the floor dodging horse & cow shit as well as negotiating uneven ground.

In retrospect I made a bad mistake thnking I could race 10k in that heat and with no hill running since May with tight hamstrings. Started fine and was about 9th at halfway but at 4.5 I had nothing left in the tank and had to have 60 second brisk walk, allowing about 4 or 5 to overtake. Managed to get past one on my restart and with a sprint finish got home in 42:06 in around 15th position I think but would have to check the results when they're out.

Definitely up for it next year and hope to be a little fitter with plenty of hill prep prior to the run. Only £12 for a friendly well organised event with free cakes and biscuits afterwards.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
There's no parkrun at Hove Prom or Preston Park this week (6th Aug) because of Pride. Hove Park therefore likely to be very busy so definitely considering an out of town jaunt - possibly Worthing or Tilgate

Have you or anyone else tried Bevendean yet? I think [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] incorporated it into his Park Run bonanza day about 4 weeks ago. I may well give this a go on the 6th.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What a great event at the Trailblazer 10k today. Lovely scenery although I spent most of my time looking at the floor dodging horse & cow shit as well as negotiating uneven ground.

In retrospect I made a bad mistake thnking I could race 10k in that heat and with no hill running since May with tight hamstrings. Started fine and was about 9th at halfway but at 4.5 I had nothing left in the tank and had to have 60 second brisk walk, allowing about 4 or 5 to overtake. Managed to get past one on my restart and with a sprint finish got home in 42:06 in around 15th position I think but would have to check the results when they're out.

Definitely up for it next year and hope to be a little fitter with plenty of hill prep prior to the run. Only £12 for a friendly well organised event with free cakes and biscuits afterwards.

Sounds good. Excellent time on narrow , rutted paths. Wish I could walk for 60 seconds and get 42:06.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Really good performance nonetheless, very well played. Enjoyed the race, it came a bit quickly after the Lunar-Tic for me, but still happy enough with 47:14, all things considered. I'll include that route in future trainings, the snake hill at the end is glorious preparation for Beachy Head. I'll add it to my calendar of events for next year but if it's always going to be a week after the Lunar, I'm probably going to be resigned to not running the quickest time I can. The Arena 80c Hove Prom is coming up though, that's where I set my PB last year so depending on where that falls in my training plan I might get to have another go at it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sounds good. Excellent time on narrow , rutted paths. Wish I could walk for 60 seconds and get 42:06.

I would like to get into more trail running ideally. I would say this along with the Mince Pie 10 are my favourite races. It could be because they are a break from the road running norm, but the courses are far more interesting then your usual out and back.

Barns Green is my next confirmed entry but tempted to look at the Littlehampton 10k for another shot at a sub 40 pb.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Really good performance nonetheless, very well played. Enjoyed the race, it came a bit quickly after the Lunar-Tic for me, but still happy enough with 47:14, all things considered. I'll include that route in future trainings, the snake hill at the end is glorious preparation for Beachy Head. I'll add it to my calendar of events for next year but if it's always going to be a week after the Lunar, I'm probably going to be resigned to not running the quickest time I can. The Arena 80c Hove Prom is coming up though, that's where I set my PB last year so depending on where that falls in my training plan I might get to have another go at it.

I'm going to be drinking heavily at Burton Albion the day before so unlikely to enter the Arena 80 race this year.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I would like to get into more trail running ideally. I would say this along with the Mince Pie 10 are my favourite races. It could be because they are a break from the road running norm, but the courses are far more interesting then your usual out and back.

Barns Green is my next confirmed entry but tempted to look at the Littlehampton 10k for another shot at a sub 40 pb.

Be away for Barns Green.
October 16th the Hasting's Half crew have organised a 950 anniversary Battle of Hasting's run from Pevensey to Battle. 17 miles. A few doing it from here. You and more sign up. Should be good.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Be away for Barns Green.
October 16th the Hasting's Half crew have organised a 950 anniversary Battle of Hasting's run from Pevensey to Battle. 17 miles. A few doing it from here. You and more sign up. Should be good.

I got in early for the Bright 10 this year as I missed out last year due to a holiday. The Battle of Hastings run looks very good, but I'm all paid up now so the Bright 10 it is.

For my next off road action I'll be looking out for Mince Pie entries.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I got in early for the Bright 10 this year as I missed out last year due to a holiday. The Battle of Hastings run looks very good, but I'm all paid up now so the Bright 10 it is.

For my next off road action I'll be looking out for Mince Pie entries.

I forgot the Bright10. 5 weeks trekking in the Himalayan Annapurna puts me out of the Mince Pie but it is a good one.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Absolutely agree. I've been running for a few years now but that was my first proper off-road race and the one I've enjoyed most by a long, long way. So much more varied and keeps you thinking/poses numerous challenges with all the different terrains and gradients (and horses racing about). Not to mention the views. It's gonna feel a little dull going back to flat road races again!

I managed it in around 47 mins, so can't have been far away from Ninja. Definitely going back next year.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Bright10 or 1066 run, Mince Pie 10 or Downland Devil 9. Decisions, decisions-it's all getting a bit much:mad::mad::mad:

A real shame the Downland 9 and Mince Pie 10 are always on the first Sunday of December. Would be good if they were the 1st and 2nd so you could have a go at both.

For those who have completed both what is your preference and why?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
A real shame the Downland 9 and Mince Pie 10 are always on the first Sunday of December. Would be good if they were the 1st and 2nd so you could have a go at both.

For those who have completed both what is your preference and why?

They're both good. I do like the low key feel of the DD9, finishing in a farmhouse tea room with unlimited tea as opposed to a sports hall. Agree though it's a real shame they coincide.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Have you or anyone else tried Bevendean yet? I think [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] incorporated it into his Park Run bonanza day about 4 weeks ago. I may well give this a go on the 6th.

Was talking to [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] about Bevendean on Saturday. Granted we did it when there was no-one else there, but it is pretty much like running around a big field – twice! A bit long gradual hill that goes on for about a mile, and then back down again. Views are good though and with all of the runners and stuff set up it is probably a bit of fun. Guaranteed a high place too, I reckon, because not many people go there...

After flirting with the 23s at Worthing parkrun last week, I'm back under with 22:36 at HP this week. Still lost so much pace – confirmed by my plan to run 8min/mile pace for an hour yesterday morning. Started fine and then tailed off massively and average was 8:01 for the 60 mins. Intervals is key I think. Plus losing the weight that seems to have crept up on me in recent weeks. Seems like there are so many good races at this time of year to choose from. I'm considering CTH 10K at Littlehampton, Barnes Green, Henfield, Bright10 and probably some others that I haven't looked into yet. Sadly, [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION], a sub-40 is out of my reach for Littlehampton, but I'm interested to see how the course has changed.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
So I finished the target I set myself for July, to run a minimum of 10k a day every day for the month. Managed to clock up 340k in the end. Some nights were hard after a long day's work, but well chuffed that I completed it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So I finished the target I set myself for July, to run a minimum of 10k a day every day for the month. Managed to clock up 340k in the end. Some nights were hard after a long day's work, but well chuffed that I completed it.

Didn't you say you weren't much of a runner before this? Regardless, that's very impressive.

I'm 70 days into my intended 80 day streak. I picked up a foot injury mid-month so I had to lay off running for a few days and take my bike over the Downs instead.

My stats for July are:

Running: 32 runs, 172.1 miles (276km), 8,099 feet climbed and 31,950 calories.
Cycling: 3 rides, 64.5 miles (104km) , 3,658 feet climbed and 4,015 calories.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Didn't you say you weren't much of a runner before this? Regardless, that's very impressive.

I'm 70 days into my intended 80 day streak. I picked up a foot injury mid-month so I had to lay off running for a few days and take my bike over the Downs instead.

My stats for July are:

Christ! You must weigh about 15 kgs after this!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

My stats for July are:

No I've always run, for enjoyment & fitness. Only ever ran competitively in my Navy days.
I

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here