Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 101st Tour de France, thread.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Every year I watch this. I always find it cringeworthy in the extreme, and this year is no exception. It's like Eurovision on wheels.

It was shocking, wasn't it? :lolol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Funny really: amid all the Yorkshire hype, you'd barely know there was also a stage from Cambridge to London.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Funny really: amid all the Yorkshire hype, you'd barely know there was also a stage from Cambridge to London.

This is very true. The race comes past my house and I can only gauge the level of excitement based on this straw poll:

We have brought our holiday plans forward so we could be out of here by Sunday night. My neighbours left the area yesterday and will return Tuesday. Our other neighbours are escaping to LegoLand for the day and the people over the road are going on a mini-break to London and will return Monday night.

I don't know if it is because the Yorkshire stages are at the weekend and we have had this foisted upon us on a Monday, which is a complete nightmare? All the roads round here will be locked down from 7am till 3-4pm which is massive imposition. The organisers have been in the local media saying "don't worry - just take the day off work, or if you run a business, close for the day and give all your staff the day off etc etc." This has really pissed people off. Even if your place of work isn't shut for the day, loads of parents are having to take a day off work as all the schools are shut for miles around.

Attached is a photo of Saffron Walden earlier this week in full on TdF mode... at least they have resurfaced the road, every cloud and all that...

Attachments

• tour de france.jpg
    tour de france.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 92

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK it's game face time:-

Stage details

Distance: 190.5km

Category: Flat

Highest point: 532m

The Tour de France peloton will land on British shores for only the fourth time in the race’s history, previously visiting in 2007, 1994 and 1974. With Britain winning the last two Tours and the sport enjoying a resurgence, the return is particularly timely.

For the second consecutive year the race begins with an open stage, giving the sprinters a chance to wear yellow for a few days.

Marcel Kittel will be looking to spoil the British party. He was the undisputed king of the sprints in last year’s race and the pressure will be on for him to do it again. However, Mark Cavendish has double reason to want to win on this day, as his mother is from the finishing town, Harrogate. He will also want to get revenge on Kittel for taking ‘his’ yellow jersey in Corsica.

Yorkshire might not be the Pyrenees, but the tight roads and steep climbs could end anyone’s general classification challenge before it even begins. The unpredictable Great British weather is likely to have its say at some point too.

The three climbs will be hard but short, so the sprinters should be able to hang onto the peloton easily. Provided we don’t have an accident like last year, this stage will be a battle of the world’s best sprinters.

stage_01_map_670.jpg

stage_01_profile_670.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This is very true. The race comes past my house and I can only gauge the level of excitement based on this straw poll:

We have brought our holiday plans forward so we could be out of here by Sunday night. My neighbours left the area yesterday and will return Tuesday. Our other neighbours are escaping to LegoLand for the day and the people over the road are going on a mini-break to London and will return Monday night.

I don't know if it is because the Yorkshire stages are at the weekend and we have had this foisted upon us on a Monday, which is a complete nightmare? All the roads round here will be locked down from 7am till 3-4pm which is massive imposition. The organisers have been in the local media saying "don't worry - just take the day off work, or if you run a business, close for the day and give all your staff the day off etc etc." This has really pissed people off. Even if your place of work isn't shut for the day, loads of parents are having to take a day off work as all the schools are shut for miles around.

Attached is a photo of Saffron Walden earlier this week in full on TdF mode... at least they have resurfaced the road, every cloud and all that...

Such a shame.

An event like this comes to a picturesque town like Saffron Walden once in a lifetime, and if you and your fellow nimby neighbours were to embrace it rather than worry about one day's disruption, it could provide you with memories that stay with you forever, memories that veer away from the everyday torpor that means life passes by in a haze, the mortgage gets paid, the lawn gets mowed...and then you die.

For God's sake, wake up! This should be an excuse for a massive party, but people are escaping to Legoland.

I despair.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jeeez [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] we get it - You don't like the tour.

We noticed you didn't like it when you started a thread slating it.
We noticed you didn't like it when you first popped up here, to slate it.
We noticed you don't like it now.

Surely with every other thread on NSC being doom and gloom for one pathetic non reason or another, you can find somewhere else to spread your repetitive moaning.
Just leave this one clear for all the Tour fans to actually enjoy.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Such a shame.

An event like this comes to a picturesque town like Saffron Walden once in a lifetime, and if you and your fellow nimby neighbours were to embrace it rather than worry about one day's disruption, it could provide you with memories that stay with you forever, memories that veer away from the everyday torpor that means life passes by in a haze, the mortgage gets paid, the lawn gets mowed...and then you die.

For God's sake, wake up! This should be an excuse for a massive party, but people are escaping to Legoland.

I despair.

I know, people are very intolerant to minor annoyance. Don't see people doing this for the London marathon; that happens every year and this is a rare and special event.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Jeeez [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] we get it - You don't like the tour.

We noticed you didn't like it when you started a thread slating it.
We noticed you didn't like it when you first popped up here, to slate it.
We noticed you don't like it now.

Surely with every other thread on NSC being doom and gloom for one pathetic non reason or another, you can find somewhere else to spread your repetitive moaning.
Just leave this one clear for all the Tour fans to actually enjoy.

I wonder his attitude to people who moan about all these football fans disrupting the Falmer area, parking on people's drives etc. Bloody football!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

The contrast is curious. Having just been in Yorkshire for a couple of days it is so evident they are doing their best to embrace the TdF. Virtually every community has created imaginative displays - including many not on the route. Further afield in adjoining counties the overhead traffic motorway information signs are all giving TdF traffic info. Saw several convoys of TdF support vehicles, which added to the 'buzz'. There are excellent spectator guides available for Stages 1 and 2, encouraging punters to get out there and amongst it. All in all it would be very difficult to miss that it is 'happening'....

It's not quite 'apathy' in East Anglia, there are a few signs here and there - but doesn't seem to be the same degree of TdF fever within the region, unless you are a cycling geek. :tumble: To be fair Yorkshire is hosting the start of the TdF and associated build up plus the 2 stages over a weekend, rather than an intermediate stage on a workday. I'm sure there will be a decent turnout nonetheless.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stage 2 looks to be a real cracker so early in the race. Bit of a mini Liége Bastogne Liége to the parcours.

Two riders in particular I have my eye on for this Tour are France's very own George Formby - Cyril Gautier, and young Rudy Molard for Cofidis. I'm interested to see if Cyril will go out for the KOM points on offer for stage 2. Either to have a bash himself, although not likely, or hoover them up for a Rolland challenge on that jersey. I'm think between them , with Tommy V in the mix as well, Europcar can get that jersey.

I'm tempted to start my Molard breakaway betting already for stage 2 as he did well in LBL last season at what I think was his first go at it (U23 aside). Gautier also had a good LBL and has really impressed me this season. But I expect Molard will hold back and go for some more likely breakaway stages to come later, starting from stage 8 and straight into 9 and 11. Found Molard at 200/1 for stage 2 but no odds up for Gautier. Perhaps he's under orders to take it easy for dom duties for Rolland later on?, but I'd like to think Europcar will be aggressive for stage wins right from the off.

I think best value for stage 1 could be e/w on Demare at 14/1. Stage 2 seems to have Sagan or Gerrans written all over it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So now for the bet that I dare not speak it's name:-

Heart and a little of my head says Cav.
Most of my head says Kittel.
I guess there's a little dusty corner in my head mumbling Gripel.

But I have a feeling in my bones it won't be any of them, in order of preference for the win (not my predicted 1-2-3):-

Kristoff - 18/1
Demare - 12/1
Sacha Modolo - 20/1

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If it wasn't so lumpy I'd go for a repeat of last years bet on youngest rider Danny Van Poppel for stage podium after a crash from the big guns - came in nicely for me last season :) I'm not so confident here though.

I agree with SB. Kristoff well worth an e/w punt on this type of finish.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The contrast is curious. Having just been in Yorkshire for a couple of days it is so evident they are doing their best to embrace the TdF. Virtually every community has created imaginative displays - including many not on the route. Further afield in adjoining counties the overhead traffic motorway information signs are all giving TdF traffic info. Saw several convoys of TdF support vehicles, which added to the 'buzz'. There are excellent spectator guides available for Stages 1 and 2, encouraging punters to get out there and amongst it. All in all it would be very difficult to miss that it is 'happening'....

It's not quite 'apathy' in East Anglia, there are a few signs here and there - but doesn't seem to be the same degree of TdF fever within the region, unless you are a cycling geek. :tumble: To be fair Yorkshire is hosting the start of the TdF and associated build up plus the 2 stages over a weekend, rather than an intermediate stage on a workday. I'm sure there will be a decent turnout nonetheless.

It's also Yorkshire, the county that likes to tell the world whenever it's doing anything.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For great stage previews each day, these blokes are pretty good :thumbsup:

[yt]-ZFT6vl822Q[/yt]

You can look ahead to upcoming stages too.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It's also Yorkshire, the county that likes to tell the world whenever it's doing anything.

There are also a few dour stereotypical complainers whose views of the TdF in Yorkshire make Bry Nylon look like a rank amateur......:D

Plus a few Geoffrey Boycott types happy to moan that 'my Granny could ride her bike faster ooop t'fells faster than that.....and didn't need no poncey soft southern girly clothing to it in either....' blah blah.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There are also a few dour stereotypical complainers whose views of the TdF in Yorkshire make Bry Nylon look like a rank amateur......:D

Plus a few Geoffrey Boycott types happy to moan that 'my Granny could ride her bike faster ooop t'fells faster than that.....and didn't need no poncey soft southern girly clothing to it in either....' blah blah.

Wi' a stick o' rhubarb!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

That's what I like to hear! :lolol:

I sincerely hope everybody who is into cycling enjoys the spectacle. Not all of us are - and for those on the route the attitude of the organisers has hardly won over converts - but I willingly concede many are, so have a good time.

To answer an earlier (rather odd) comment I would regard anybody parking on / across someone's driveway whilst they go to watch a football game as a selfish wanker. Who wouldn't?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
That's what I like to hear! :lolol:

I sincerely hope everybody who is into cycling enjoys the spectacle. Not all of us are - and for those on the route the attitude of the organisers has hardly won over converts - but I willingly concede many are, so have a good time.

To answer an earlier (rather odd) comment I would regard anybody parking on / across someone's driveway whilst they go to watch a football game as a selfish wanker. Who wouldn't?

Meanwhile I wonder how many punters will enjoy parking across your driveway to watch the TdF while you are away...........?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Meanwhile I wonder how many punters will enjoy parking across your driveway to watch the TdF while you are away...........?

They would be very welcome to do so as I shall - hopefully - be long gone. However they will probably get towed by the bomb squad and have a controlled explosion conducted on their boot lid!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here