NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some studies show (based on identical twins that were separated at birth) that it's generally 60% nurture and 40% nature.

This has interested me for a while. When I was in grad school (as they call it in Canada) we we tought about Cyril Burt (factor analysis). Interesting, but he also fabricated a whole bunch of twin study research. This stuff is hard to subject to proper experimentation (due to ethics) anyway, without cheating. After all these year, however . . . I suspect your % are about right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thats ok chump its aimed at the smart people.

Look at you!

loony takes selfie.jpg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree, thats because you have got nothing to say that cant be easily picked apart.

Almost anything is easy to pick apart when you only have the slightest grasp of logic and reason.

Lets face it Looney, this is why you spend so much time de-railing debate.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Almost anything is easy to pick apart when you only have the slightest grasp of logic and reason.

That sounds a lot like a confession. Like when your caught blowing a donkey and saying your just getting some trombone practise in before the orchestra meets up

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
That sounds a lot like a confession.

:lol::facepalm: Ahh the 7 year old response. I know you are but what am I?

Only a short exchange of posts with you and I remember why I don't bother with your nonsense. Your posts contain nothing of worth.

See ya Snowflake.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
This has interested me for a while. When I was in grad school (as they call it in Canada) we we tought about Cyril Burt (factor analysis). Interesting, but he also fabricated a whole bunch of twin study research. This stuff is hard to subject to proper experimentation (due to ethics) anyway, without cheating. After all these year, however . . . I suspect your % are about right.

Very interesting, had not heard of him.
As for the ethics, it does tread into the area of eugenics, which is never going to be pretty.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Even with the increased understanding of brain plasticity? I would have thought that given the brain's ability to rewire itself we would be looking at larger increase on the nurture side.

Yes, i guess there's some 'hard wiring' that will always show itself. But these studies can be taken with a pinch of salt i guess, the numbers are so low, and presumably many of them grow up in the same culture.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
IOW he is thick and you are running round kissing butt of all those who disagree with me as your an emo owned bitch.

I recognise a Google translation when I see one, but what language was this translated from?

....and WTF has the Isle of Wight got to do with anything? On second thoughts, don't bother - I'm not really interested........................

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, i guess there's some 'hard wiring' that will always show itself. But these studies can be taken with a pinch of salt i guess, the numbers are so low, and presumably many of them grow up in the same culture.

We recently did some work on 'Growth Mind Set' an the idea of limited innate ability was at the core of the ideas. Along a similar idea as the '10,000 hours' from books like Bounce. Basically the idea is that we can succeed in any area with enought quality practise and coaching/training. Obviously this is tempered by physical constraints to some degree, for example someone short is going to be up against it when trying to become an elite basketball player. I haven't found time to look into the references presented but it was certainly food for thought.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
We recently did some work on 'Growth Mind Set' an the idea of limited innate ability was at the core of the ideas. Along a similar idea as the '10,000 hours' from books like Bounce. Basically the idea is that we can succeed in any area with enought quality practise and coaching/training. Obviously this is tempered by physical constraints to some degree, for example someone short is going to be up against it when trying to become an elite basketball player. I haven't found time to look into the references presented but it was certainly food for thought.

After a quick google, i'd have to agree, i've seen this with my own experiences. It's more important to teach how to learn, critical thinking seems to be on the wane in the our social media world.
I still think there will be an innate predisposition towards various characteristics, as much of a hippy as i am, i don't think we're all born equal.
Don't the buddhists select the Dalai lama from a young age, based on things like inquisitiveness (although they would say the same 'spirit' i guess)? Then load him with the right teaching and environment to make sure they get a decent leader.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
After a quick google, i'd have to agree, i've seen this with my own experiences. It's more important to teach how to learn, critical thinking seems to be on the wane in the our social media world.
I still think there will be an innate predisposition towards various characteristics, as much of a hippy as i am, i don't think we're all born equal.
Don't the buddhists select the Dalai lama from a young age, based on things like inquisitiveness (although they would say the same 'spirit' i guess)? Then load him with the right teaching and environment to make sure they get a decent leader.

The presenter used the analogy of being born with a certain type of car and learning to drive. In simple terms this means that if I was born with innate talent I would be driving a Ferarri without the innate talent maybe someone else would be driving a mini. So on simple tasks and activities the fararri driver would be 'winning' and succeeding. However as tasks become more complex and difficult the person who has learned to drive those roads is going to be more successful even is they are in the mini.

the inquisitiveness idea is also interesting as often we give these labels to children to an incredibly early age and they grow into the label we give them. "Oh look at little johnny playing with the guitar, he is going to be a musician" often this is followed by "we should get him music lessons".

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-Myth-Talent-Power-Practice/dp/0007350546

This is an interesting book on the subject by a UK ping pong player. ( i beleive the 10,000 hour idea has been debunked as an arbitry number and should be replaced with 'many hours'.)

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No two snowflakes are identical. I've always found that extraordinary.

Why? No two humans are the same either. That's a typical generation snowflake remark ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here