Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio 5 Live

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I listen to Up All Night between 4:30am and 5 on my drive to work and is usually very interesting (other than when they have the Formula 1 podcast on). Enjoy the breakfast show too. The afternoon bloke is dreadful.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One theme emerging is that R5 has moved from its Radio Bloke roots to something a bit more (er) inclusive. So the boy Nihal (too cool for school) is clearly there to bring in the yoof at the expense of old gits like me who re-tune as soon as he starts up. I'm afraid he joins David Mellor in my 'unlistenable' list. I like Adrian Chiles. One constant though: Alan Green is and has always been a knob.

Exactly....which is why I said I am no longer their target audience ....Drive is okish (bring back Peter Allen), although the interviewing is a bit lightweight...friday afternoon with M & K is ok...I like films! But they sometimes are a bit up themselves and you feel like you need to have some major qualification to fit in....the evening sports slots like the Friday and Monday night 7pm slots are interesting

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
That’s Nihal who at every miscoscopic chance pushes social agendas, and who sneers at anyone who supports Brexit, or likes TV progs he can’t stand. He recently interviewed Roger Daltry ... who was bloody interesting talking about Keith Moon, Pete Townshend etc. Yet Nihal couldn’t believe that RD believed in Brexit. “REALLY!!!!” Talk about unbalanced presenting.

Presenters past and present such as Chiles, Bacon, Livesey, Burden and Campbell somehow hand all such issues with charm and fairness, whatever their own strong views.

I go back as far as Sybil Roscoe(?) used to like her afternoon slot

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One theme emerging is that R5 has moved from its Radio Bloke roots to something a bit more (er) inclusive. So the boy Nihal (too cool for school) is clearly there to bring in the yoof at the expense of old gits like me who re-tune as soon as he starts up. I'm afraid he joins David Mellor in my 'unlistenable' list. I like Adrian Chiles. One constant though: Alan Green is and has always been a knob.

I love Alan Green. He stood up to bullies Fergie and Pulis, when the rest of the media world were literally scared of them, or of getting a lifetime OT ban for not towing the corporate ManUre line.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Baker was excellent in the original incarnation of 606, trouble is he did let himself get carried away towards the end, he is still good value on the radio but 606 had run it's course some time ago, how could anyone allow David Mellor to host it FFS !

To be fair Mellor last presented it 17 years ago.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I go back as far as Sybil Roscoe(?) used to like her afternoon slot

Yep, I remember it all, overall 5live’s been brilliant.

Isn’t it incredible that poshboy and general cock David Mellor used to present 606?! It wasn’t because he was a Conservative, I just thought he was crap and I had my doubts as to whether he’d been truly part of Chelsea’s match attending crowds when they were small.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Same as - going to give LBC a go during the day.

Shame that Richard Bacon left (years ago now) but love Dotun and Rhod Sharp (who actually works from a home office in the US following moving there during presenting up all night)

I had no idea that Rhod Sharp had moved to the US. I listen to a lot of 5 Live and a lot of Up all night and I think Rhod is one of the best and most knowledgeable presenters that the BBC has. I struggle a bit with Dotun just because of his desperate need to interrupt and, like many on here, I find Nihal so hard to listen to. But other than that I think 5 Live is as good as it always has been with a decent balance of presenters. Breakfast, Drive and the 10pm slot being especially good.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I love Alan Green. He stood up to bullies Fergie and Pulis, when the rest of the media world were literally scared of them, or of getting a lifetime OT ban for not towing the corporate ManUre line.

Totally off topic...saturday night bbc4..have you been watching Beck?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I had no idea that Rhod Sharp had moved to the US. I listen to a lot of 5 Live and a lot of Up all night and I think Rhod is one of the best and most knowledgeable presenters that the BBC has. I struggle a bit with Dotun just because of his desperate need to interrupt and, like many on here, I find Nihal so hard to listen to. But other than that I think 5 Live is as good as it always has been with a decent balance of presenters. Breakfast, Drive and the 10pm slot being especially good.

I really like Nicky Campbell’s slot all the way up to 10.

It’s funny ... a right wing mate can’t stand Campbell because he’s a leftie, and a Corbynista mate can’t stand Campbell because he’s part of the anti-left elite.

He must be doing something well.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Hardly listen to 5 Live anymore.

I can't stand the way Nicky Campbell is the nation's self-appointed moral compass on virtually every subject. Nor the way whenever they want a member of the public's opinion on anything they stick a microphone in front of the first thick person they encouter in Salford. It's become a north west regional station that broadcasts nationwide.

The only show I lsiten to is Danny Baker on Saturday morning and the Saturday afternoon football commentary.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Dotun is good for the world football phone in on a Friday night.

After reporting on the 11 September attacks, while taking a sabbatical, Sharp and his wife fell in love with the fishing town of Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA. Since 2004 he has presented his part of the show (Monday to Wednesday), from the town. Initially using the studios and ISDN line of local radio station WESX to connect him to Broadcasting House, London,[6] since 2007 he has presented the show from a home-studio within the couple's 18th-century property.[3][5] Broadcasting from the United States makes Sharp "pretty unique" among BBC radio hosts, according to the then BBC deputy news director Stephen Mitchell.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
That’s Nihal who at every miscoscopic chance pushes social agendas, and who sneers at anyone who supports Brexit, or likes TV progs he can’t stand. He recently interviewed Roger Daltry ... who was bloody interesting talking about Keith Moon, Pete Townshend etc. Yet Nihal couldn’t believe that RD believed in Brexit. “REALLY!!!!” Talk about unbalanced presenting.

I like Nihal these days, but have noticed the sneering too.

Was listening to a chat about diversity/integration a few months back. He and ALL the guests were extremely condescending to listeners who dared to text in with different views.

I remember thinking that thousands and thousands will have switched off at that point.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
You have to ask why does Nihal ask so many rhetorical questions? Turn off.

Shelagh Fogerty was good as well (as long as the topic was not Liverpool) and going further back Fi Glover was great.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Nihal these days, but have noticed the sneering too.

Was listening to a chat about diversity/integration a few months back. He and ALL the guests were extremely condescending to listeners who dared to text in with different views.

I remember thinking that thousands and thousands will have switched off at that point.

Nihal set up a show like that a week or two ago, on a social subject he hoped would be divisive, with his shit-stirring questions directed to antagonise anti Government sentiment.

To his obvious surprise and against his best efforts, it did not go to plan. The ‘left’ and ‘right’ panelists spoke gently and agreed on things, texts fron listeners concurred.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
R4 (news, the odd bit of comedy and the odd 'highbrow' show), R5 (football) and R6 (Marc Riley, a few others, I really ought to listen to Giles Peterson more, but his show is on when the football's on) for me.
People might get cheesed off with the BBC's cross-promotion, but the alternative is tosh adverts, and I know which I prefer

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here