Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
That known weakness we've failed to score against in 180 minutes so far this season despite arguably having the better of both games you mean ? The one that's only conceded 27 goals this season (one more than the runaway leaders) ?
To be fair, that's more to do with the quality of the keeper behind them.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still not mathematically safe, so start the strongest 11 (which did the business at home to Arsenal and Tottenham).

I'm sure we'll see more of Locadia next season, after a preseason of building an 'improved playing style' as NSC would want.

Propper back in for Kayal ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Can't play as a lone striker . Baffling signing .

Quite.

It ASTOUNDS me that so many people think he should start. Based on what? No idea.

I don't really get this. We spent the entire summer looking for quick, powerful strikers, going through a whole load of Dwamena types, eventually getting one of these strikers in the January window. But if this kind of striker doesn't fit Hughton's strategy, what were we doing spending so long trying to get this kind of player?

I prefer to think that CH does want this kind of player but didn't want to upset the team formation that was working so well with Murray. And its bit late in the season now to change things.

Still, it was commonly accepted knowledge that we couldn't stay up without adding strikers, and yet it appears we have effectively done so, so one in the eye to the naysayers I suppose :)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He actually said he wasn't "good at heading" - compared to his team mates [he mentioned Ulloa]
That doesn't mean he "cannot head a football"
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/160...fter_missed_chance_against_Manchester_United/

I have mentioned his statement too, then I checked his scoring statistics and the last time he scored in a competitive fixture with his head was 14 February 2016 (I stand to be corrected of course). Nothing definitive about that, but there is probably some truth that his head isn't that effective in directing footballs into the onion bag.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Give him a go. All i want to see is a centre forward that can run at defender. Dare i say like Barnes did on Saturday

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We were told that he is a number ten when we signed him.
We have Gross owning that position at the moment.
Locadia needs to either fit in as a square peg in a round hole, presumably out wide.
Or..
Show that he can add more value than Gross.

You'd have to provide some evidence to support that claim about a number 10. I've seen evidence to the contrary, as [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION] has revealed, and who has made a number of valid contributions to this thread.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I think Locadia is a replacement/first option for Baldock who I think will get shipped out in the summer.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't really get this. We spent the entire summer looking for quick, powerful strikers, going through a whole load of Dwamena types, eventually getting one of these strikers in the January window. But if this kind of striker doesn't fit Hughton's strategy, what were we doing spending so long trying to get this kind of player?

I prefer to think that CH does want this kind of player but didn't want to upset the team formation that was working so well with Murray. And its bit late in the season now to change things.

Still, it was commonly accepted knowledge that we couldn't stay up without adding strikers, and yet it appears we have effectively done so, so one in the eye to the naysayers I suppose :)

One glaring fact you are over looking(conveniently?) is that Murray admitted himself he has raised his game since brining in two new strikers in Jan. Competition is vital in keeping players on their toes.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He is a goalscorer ffs.....why not see if he can be as good as Ulloa or Murray, he is younger, faster, probably hungrier, want to show he is more than a bench warmer......what better stage than playing in front of a full house against one of the most famous clubs in the world. Start him Chris......let's see if can justify his hefty tag, and if he doesn't. .....There is always another game, it's not as if Murray and Ulloa are a hit EVERY game.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
But Barnes also gave Dunk a physical work-out.

No he didn't. He skilfully attracted fouls from Dunk which the ref bought. Even the commentators said Barnes does that well. Fair play to Barnes though in doing a job he is paid to do.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
He is a goalscorer ffs.....why not see if he can be as good as Ulloa or Murray, he is younger, faster, probably hungrier, want to show he is more than a bench warmer......what better stage than playing in front of a full house against one of the most famous clubs in the world. Start him Chris......let's see if can justify his hefty tag, and if he doesn't. .....There is always another game, it's not as if Murray and Ulloa are a hit EVERY game.

Agreed. In the next three games we will have limited possession and be defending for most of them. Would the oppo defences rather cope with a team hoofing the ball to a slow forward who may or may not win it then wait for support or a pacy striker that can stretch and outpace defences?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm sure there is nothing Chris wouldn't like more than Locadia to come good and score some goals – but he's obviously not seeing it day to day and football management is about judgement rather than gambling. Fans can gamble, like you're doing, but a manager has to look at every touch in training, how he looks against our own defenders, his fitness, his attitude, his commitment. So easy just to say start him, but I very much doubt CH is leaving him out through some kind of pig headedness, it is because he thinks it would weaken us, and I'd have to agree on the impact he has made so far.

I'm sure everyone would love Locadia to come good, but only start him because you think he makes you better, not on hope alone that he will.

boik

That known weakness we've failed to score against in 180 minutes so far this season despite arguably having the better of both games you mean ? The one that's only conceded 27 goals this season (one more than the runaway leaders) ?

Anyway, back on topic, can't see us starting Propper behind Locadia. Unlikely CH will move Gross from the position where he's been such a success, and Locadia can't operate as a target man for a team that works around wingers (he's self-confessed an inability to head the ball). He must be a 'signing for the future' - presumably we're thinking about 442 at some stage.

Why do we people think playing with wingers means crossing it onto someone’s head? A ball from wide, along the ground for a nippy striker to get on to it is probably more dangerous.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yes it does look like we're staying up, personally I feel near certain ŵe will. :smile: I was one of the many gutted NSC posters last 1st September, knowing that goals keep teams in the PL. If we do, it may well be by just a couple of points (Spurs H, Burnley A), so by a tiny margin. The club admitted last September in 2 statements, that the window didn't go as planned, and shown by the 11th hour desparate attempt for Janssen.

I'm sure the transfer secretive foursome won't let that happen again.

My complete guess is that Ulloa and Locadia were much needed calculated punts, to get us over the line and give the club another slug of £100m. If Locadia never works for us, it won't be the end of the world. Winstanley can't get it right every time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do we people think playing with wingers means crossing it onto someone’s head? A ball from wide, along the ground for a nippy striker to get on to it is probably more dangerous.

Does that not depend on the attacking and defending strengths of the two teams. ie VVD for Liverpool and Kompany for City. where as United are notoriously weak in the air at CB.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here