Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staying away from updates & result of an Albion match

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I don't try and avoid as such, but when I'm not at a game, I don't watch on TV or listen on the radio as I get too nervous. I tend to watch the goal updates on one of those footie score apps, and every now and then, I'll cover the score and slowly reveal it, starting with the opposition, to break it to myself as gently as possible! Odd I know!

I do yearn for someone to make an app that shows scores like Ceefax used to. Waiting for the 1/5 pages to refresh was a sport in itself!

Plus, you'd occasionally get a *correction* flash up for a goal ruled out, or wrong scorer. Love it, absolutely love it.

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'll be working until 12 tonight so have decided to record the Bournemouth game, stay away from any updates and watch it back tomorrow without knowing the score beforehand.

If I'm not at a game, I'm usually glued to the commentary or live updates so this is a first for me.

What experiences to people on here have of doing similar or the longest you've gone before finding out the result of an Albion game?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

I have done this a few times when at work like yourself, usually just a couple of hours.

Best story I have though is the Forest game a few years back to make the playoffs, I had an interview for a job that day so had to give away my ticket, already pissed off I decide to just avoid all spoilers and watch it later on. Throughout the interview process and on the way home my phone is going mental, to the point where I just turn it off. Allowing myself to stay spoiler free for that was the best decision I ever made, that Ulloa header would have been so much less special if I'd not have done what I did. I got the job too.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Before this season I'd always made a point of avoiding the Prem scores, as prefer to watch MotD not knowing them.

I couldn't willingly avoid the progress of an Albion game though - I couldn't stand not knowing what was going on.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I'll be working until 12 tonight so have decided to record the Bournemouth game, stay away from any updates and watch it back tomorrow without knowing the score beforehand.

If I'm not at a game, I'm usually glued to the commentary or live updates so this is a first for me.

What experiences to people on here have of doing similar or the longest you've gone before finding out the result of an Albion game?

Your plan won't be possible
You will be hurting inside during the game not knowing the score and yearning for info

I do yearn for someone to make an app that shows scores like Ceefax used to. Waiting for the 1/5 pages to refresh was a sport in itself!
Indeed, I recall staring at the teletext screen one Friday night showing 0-0 for a whole 90 minutes. I wasn't going down town drinking until that 'FT' came up though, and I distinctly remember the sceen flicker as it came up with SWANSEA 0 BRIGHTON 1, followed shortly by 'FT'. It was almost as if I'd seen the ball hit the net myself!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have done this a few times when at work like yourself, usually just a couple of hours.

Best story I have though is the Forest game a few years back to make the playoffs, I had an interview for a job that day so had to give away my ticket, already pissed off I decide to just avoid all spoilers and watch it later on. Throughout the interview process and on the way home my phone is going mental, to the point where I just turn it off. Allowing myself to stay spoiler free for that was the best decision I ever made, that Ulloa header would have been so much less special if I'd not have done what I did. I got the job too.

Back in the old days when we played on Saturday afternoons, I had a second interview at Corals the bookies on a Saturday. We were playing Palace. I decided that if was too difficult to get to an interview when a game was on, I couldn't possibly work on Saturdays as well. So I didn't go.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Watched the game this morning, having successfully stayed away from any updates last night.
After taking the lead in the second half, I generally thought the worst we'd do is come away with a point so disappointed to let that slip.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here