Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Bowie

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for letting us know

My opinion, for that's what it is, is just as relevant as the opinions of the majority on here who think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I obviously missed the sub-heading on the thread stating "all posts must be unfailingly positive".

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
My opinion, for that's what it is, is just as relevant as the opinions of the majority on here who think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I obviously missed the sub-heading on the thread stating "all posts must be unfailingly positive".

I suspect many people have opinions regarding you (particulalry at the moment!), but you don't always hear them as it isn't always appropriate to voice them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

To be frank, if you can only name ONE song, your opinions on the musical worth of his 5 decade output, are actually NOT valid, are they?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I don't generally do celebrity mourning but I am truly gutted that David Bowie has gone. First album I ever bought when I got my first record player was Scary Monsters (Super Creeps) outstanding showman and I am sad that I never had the chance to see him live in concert. The ultimate showman and a legend that will be missed. RIP Ziggy

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It makes you wonder if he was holding on until Blackstar was released, if he knew that those seven tracks would be his last.

I thought this myself earlier, if he was seriously ill and on medication to survive it would not be unrealistic to think he wanted to get that out as a last hurrah then stop taking anything. What a legend and someone that played many different genres and broke down barriers without showing a care. RIP

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe you didnt realise? I assume you know Life on Mars to name just one.

Song name not familiar so I just listened to it on YouTube. Not impressed and definitely had not heard it before. I spent the 70s and most of the 80s in North America; maybe he didn't make it big over the pond.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He clearly was a superb talent. Openly bi attached time it was dangerous to admit it. Didn't play safe, always trying something new. There will be few who liked all his music, but there will be a large proportion of society who will adore part of his catalogue.

I may even forgive him tin machine.....

Probably in my view alongside the feelings had when lennon died. I can't think of another musician whose death has had this impact on me

I LOVE Tin Machine!!!!!!!!!!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Oh no love! You're not alone
You're watching yourself but you're too unfair
You got your head all tangled up
But if I could only make you care
Oh no love! You're not alone
No matter what or who you've been
No matter when or where you've seen
All the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

Just turn on with me and you're not alone
Let's turn on with me and you're not alone (wonderful)
Let's turn on and be not alone (wonderful)
Gimme your hands cause you're wonderful (wonderful)
Gimme your hands cause you're wonderful (wonderful)
Oh gimme your hands

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I obviously missed the sub-heading on the thread stating "all posts must be unfailingly positive".

You don't really need such a sub-heading on a thread which is clearly for tributes/stories/memories, because it's pretty bloody obvious that anything negative wouldn't really be welcomed or appropriate.

If this was a thread discussing his music in general then fair enough.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Song name not familiar so I just listened to it on YouTube. Not impressed and definitely had not heard it before. I spent the 70s and most of the 80s in North America; maybe he didn't make it big over the pond.

An odd choice, to come onto a tribute thread to a man who has just died explaining how you never liked him.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Quote Originally Posted by goldstone View Post

The reason I chose that one was due to it being the theme tune of a somewhat popular TV show. I guess you missed that too. As for making it big in the US, he made a bit of an impact: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_David_Bowie

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
I got the chance last year whilst in Berlin to visit the Bowie exhibition, absolutely fascinating.
The word legend is banded around a lot these days. A remarkable human being who has lived the life of ten people.
Absolutely gutted.
RIP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here