Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banter - just an excuse for otherwise socially unacceptable behaviour

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What is most worrying is the way the line keeps creeping imperceptibly forward. What was acceptable yesterday will cause offence tomorrow. I don’t generally have a problem with this. Society evolves, values change. Once upon a time I felt superior to racists, male chauvinist pigs and apologists for an outdated unaccountable establishment. Today I instinctively see the value of tradition, the wisdom of middle-age and the tragedy of common sense being eroded by the baleful influence of the snowflake generation.

That is my immediate (emotional?) response but, on reflection, I can appreciate thati it is me who is struggling to find the energy to adapt. Just like I once leapt out of bed to face the day, I now have to sit down to put my socks on. What was once easy is now bloody hard work.

Anyway, all of this is as it should be. I am the problem. However, what really worries me is that what I do today may be judged by the values of tomorrow. And if that insidious line has crept too far I will be unjustifiably found guilty for something that would have been laughed out of court today. From the outside looking in and unburdened by facts or details to support this argument, I really do sense that an ever-increasing number of people leading ordinary lives are being caught in this pernicious trap.

Mind you, one of the universities I work with has replaced M/F with 15 different gender identities. WTF?

Great post and how I feel.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Did i say every soldier or every soldier I'd met?
I'd happily say it to your face, try not to get violent though, I know they drill that into you.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

What a stupid little boy or girl you are. No idea whatsoever.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Banter has fast become the code word for "rubbish humour".

I've found in my group of chums it has gone full circle now and we use "banter" ironically to signify said rubbish humour.

To further emphasise the crapness of it, "Banter" can be shortened to "Bantz" or inserted into "That's LOVELY Bantz".

Once one has fully engaged in the world of Bantz he or she can soon rise to the role of Archbishop of Banterbury

Last edited:

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
As an ex-soldier with 12 years’ service, including 4 tours of Iraq and Afghanistan, I would suggest that at 32 years old, I still fall into that younger generation bracket (I hope anyway). Military banter is certainly something quite unique to the military and things I say to ex-army friends I would never say to my current work colleagues, it doesn’t make either one right it's just different, the environments you work / worked In make it that way.

People will cross the line with "banter" all the time, I wouldn’t say the military is any different, the line is just beyond what a civilian would expect. Are we all dickheads? well I hope not, actually my 20-year-old self would consider me quite boring now, I'm married with a young daughter work an office 9 - 5 and drive a ford focus!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What is most worrying is the way the line keeps creeping imperceptibly forward. What was acceptable yesterday will cause offence tomorrow. I don’t generally have a problem with this. Society evolves, values change. Once upon a time I felt superior to racists, male chauvinist pigs and apologists for an outdated unaccountable establishment. Today I instinctively see the value of tradition, the wisdom of middle-age and the tragedy of common sense being eroded by the baleful influence of the snowflake generation.

That is my immediate (emotional?) response but, on reflection, I can appreciate thati it is me who is struggling to find the energy to adapt. Just like I once leapt out of bed to face the day, I now have to sit down to put my socks on. What was once easy is now bloody hard work.

Anyway, all of this is as it should be. I am the problem. However, what really worries me is that what I do today may be judged by the values of tomorrow. And if that insidious line has crept too far I will be unjustifiably found guilty for something that would have been laughed out of court today. From the outside looking in and unburdened by facts or details to support this argument, I really do sense that an ever-increasing number of people leading ordinary lives are being caught in this pernicious trap.

Mind you, one of the universities I work with has replaced M/F with 15 different gender identities. WTF?

I think you worry unduly with reference to being legally judged for past behaviors in a present context. I mean a real life example is the legislation to safeguard the rights of same sex relationships in recent times. No one has been prosecuted for discrimination relating to a time when such actions were legal.

Gender identities have only come from people's lived experiences and for the minor inconvenience of the rest of us having to scan through a few more boxes or ask for an appropriate pronoun, I'm not sure I really understand what the problem is. All that's being asked of us is to treat all individuals with respect.

I see that well known bastion of socially liberal politics the Telegraph did a relatively well meaning piece about all this a while back. To be frank we don't need to know it all anyway, we just need to be respectful of and listen to all people that we encounter in life.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-...ossary-of-gender-identities-for-your-next-ce/

Last edited:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Point proven.

The only point that has been proven is that you are naive on how a Soldier is trained, and that you have a stereotypical view on soldiers in general.

I so hope one day, in this ever increasing violent world we live in that you and your family need the help of a soldier, and as he or she holds his or her arm out to you, you can look them in the eye and say thanks for this but all soldiers I have ever met are c*nts.

With that I hope they turn their back on you.

Its because of so called soldiers like me and others, that you even have the right to write on this board in the first place.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The only point that has been proven is that you are naive on how a Soldier is trained, and that you have a stereotypical view on soldiers in general.

I so hope one day, in this ever increasing violent world we live in that you and your family need the help of a soldier, and as he or she holds his or her arm out to you, you can look them in the eye and say thanks for this but all soldiers I have ever met are c*nts.

With that I hope they turn their back on you.

Its because of so called soldiers like me and others, that you even have the right to write on this board in the first place.
Thanks, I didn't realise you were in WW2

Anyway the next world war that happens, our tiny little island will be wiped out first so an arm won't do me much good

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Here's an example of that.

https://twitter.com/FSF_FairCop/status/920689473054298112

[tweet]920689473054298112[/tweet]

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When writing essays of any sort at school several decades ago, we always had it drilled in to us that we needed to be clear about the terms we were using and so on, so maybe we need to define banter! And I'm not going to try and do that now.

The report I've read about it this morning makes comments about things like "ill judged attempts at humour" and similar, and being someone who has more time for chaos theory than conspiracy theory, I just think that some of what has gone on here was just crass stupidity on the part of those who made the comments.

But in terms of the FA and what they seem to have tried to do to "resolve" it more recently with the victims, it is just completely inept - and that is probably a massive understatement.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
During the height of the BSE crisis in the UK, I went to France to visit a (French) friend of mine. Before I set off for France, he joked: “Don’t go bringing that Mad Cow Disease over here with you.” Did I take that as racist joke? Did I heck?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Thanks, I didn't realise you were in WW2

Anyway the next world war that happens, our tiny little island will be wiped out first so an arm won't do me much good

Your naivety is laughable.

FYI. WW2 is not the only war that the UK has been involved in, we are still fighting today.

Your limp attempts at humour are a shameful.

It may not be a world war when you need help, it maybe when you are on a bus, tube or just walking in the street like Lee Rigby was.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
During the height of the BSE crisis in the UK, I went to France to visit a (French) friend of mine. Before I set off for France, he joked: “Don’t go bringing that Mad Cow Disease over here with you.” Did I take that as racist joke? Did I heck?

Was this person your boss?
Have you as an English person been affected by the impact of centuries of discrimination at the hands of French people?
Did that person subsequently remove you from your employment in what you perceived to be an unjustified fashion after you mentioned this 'joke' to authorities?
Did you have a relationship where previously these sort of jokes had previously been exchanged without complaint?

This kind of blithe false equivalency looks good on paper but falls apart under examination. Surely people understand that different relationships we have in life have different 'rules.' I assume you don't treat your mother in law the same as your best mate do you?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Your naivety is laughable.

FYI. WW2 is not the only war that the UK has been involved in, we are still fighting today.

Your limp attempts at humour are a shameful.

It may not be a world war when you need help, it maybe when you are on a bus, tube or just walking in the street like Lee Rigby was.
I'll blame the government if something happens to me, something you fight for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here