Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The ultimate REFERENDUM thread

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Because you might think it's a good idea?

Any other ways my life will be tangibly better by leaving?
So democracy isn't your thing?... that's fine, looks like the middle east may be your spiritual home.

From democratic process, all areas of your life are affected one way or another, and change is in your own hands.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Well, if we vote to stay part of the EU we will have democratically elected for this, whatever the result we will have democracy.

In addition if we do stay, we wouldn't have to necessarily have to stay in the EU forever, things always change.
You will be democratically voting for less democratic say in your own countries affairs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, if we vote to stay part of the EU we will have democratically elected for this, whatever the result we will have democracy.

In addition if we do stay, we wouldn't have to necessarily have to stay in the EU forever, things always change.
You seriously think the political establishment will ever give us another chance to vote out? Blimey!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So democracy isn't your thing?... that's fine, looks like the middle east may be your spiritual home.

From democratic process, all areas of your life are affected one way or another, and change is in your own hands.

Democracy is my thing, I'll be voting and I vote in all elections.

If I don't like something I vote a certain way or campaign for it to change, much like what UKIP have done by ensuring an EU referendum, i.e. democracy and the democratic process. I like it so won't be moving to the middle east!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
You seriously think the political establishment will ever give us another chance to vote out? Blimey!

If a minority party like UKIP can grow to have enough influence to ensure a referendum then yes I do think so.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Democracy is my thing, I'll be voting and I vote in all elections.

If I don't like something I vote a certain way or campaign for it to change, much like what UKIP have done by ensuring an EU referendum, i.e. democracy and the democratic process. I like it so won't be moving to the middle east!

Of course you are entitled to abdicate democracy to the unelected EU commission,... that fine its freedom of choice, whatever floats your boat... I think most will want a say in their future, and in fact the future of their children and grandchildren.... OUT for me unless something dramatic happens between now and 23/06.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
A sensible article from The Economist: http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ould-also-deal-terrible-blow-west-real-danger

This quote tidily sums up why it would be so damaging to leave.

The real danger of Brexit

That would be grave news—and not just for Britain. A vote to leave would damage the economy, certainly in the short term and probably in the long run. (As financial markets woke up to the prospect, the pound this week fell to its lowest level against the dollar since 2009.) It would imperil Britain’s security, when threats from terrorists and foreign powers are at their most severe in years. And far from reclaiming sovereignty, Britons would be forgoing clout, by giving up membership of a powerful club whose actions they can influence better from within than without. Those outside Britain marvelling at this proposed act of self-harm should worry for themselves, too. Brexit would deal a heavy blow to Europe, a continent already on the ropes. It would uncouple the world’s fifth-largest economy from its biggest market, and unmoor the fifth-largest defence spender from its allies. Poorer, less secure and disunited, the new EU would be weaker; the West, reliant on the balancing forces of America and Europe, would be enfeebled, too.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Of course you are entitled to abdicate democracy to the unelected EU commission,... that fine its freedom of choice, whatever floats your boat... I think most will want a say in their future, and in fact the future of their children and grandchildren.... OUT for me unless something dramatic happens between now and 23/06.

The EU commission draws its authority from democratically elected governments. It also acts as the EU executive rather than its legislative body - that is the EU parliament, which is elected.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The EU commission draws its authority from democratically elected governments. It also acts as the EU executive rather than its legislative body - that is the EU parliament, which is elected.

The parlianment only votes on legislation that comes before them, sadly the legislation always emerges from the commission, and is thus formed by their collective agendas,.... NOT the other way around.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
The parlianment only votes on legislation that comes before them, sadly the legislation always emerges from the commission, and is thus formed by their collective agendas,.... NOT the other way around.

Yes fair point. But it does have to be voted on so it has a democratic mandate. Albeit a ropey one.

D

Deleted member 22389

Sensible because it agrees with your opinion obviously. Did the Economist magazine support us joining the Euro?

The Over 60s will be the ones who help save this country, they have seen the best times and they don't want their own children or grandchildren to suffer any longer. This country could be so much better than it is now.

Willie Walsh BA, Brexit will not have material impact
http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/new...exit-will-not-have-‘material-impact’-business

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
A sensible article from The Economist: http://www.economist.com/news/leade...ould-also-deal-terrible-blow-west-real-danger

This quote tidily sums up why it would be so damaging to leave.

The real danger of Brexit
If we have to go backwards to go forwards then so be it...Personally I think we will be much better off out in the long term.
I'm not even that interested in all the money money money money bla bla bla rubbish as there's far more to this than finances.
I'd say security would be better as well....The big dangers are within the country and letting in hundreds of thousands of refugees throughout Europe was as daft as you could possibily get regarding security...Yeah what a smart organisation the EU is.

It's ifs and buts and to be successful on a personal level you need to take risks....this is no different when voting out as its a risk worth taking and we will succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here