Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Charlie Webb Memorial Plaque

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Thank you everyone, heroes. There's a plaque in Frith Road, Hove, on his family home but last i saw the current owners had let it get overgrown.

Unveiling the plaque was a lovely little event at a terribly difficult time for the Albion. I believe the story was told that Charlie Webb often took the turnstile takings home with him - Frith Road is the shortest of walks from the Goldstone. He must have had help - 10,000 threepenny pieces must have weighed something. Presumably he kept them under the bed until Monday morning.

On a related subject... later on, not long before we left Withdean, a tree to commemorate our presence was planted in the woods near the entrance. Invitations were sent out and quite a few press turned up, including the telly, and a small gathering waited for the council parks & gardens department to deliver what was needed. They arrived just before the BBC and brought everything except... the tree. Martin Perry's recovery from this awful situation was one of the finest pieces of management initiative I have ever seen. He dashed into the undergrowth and returned with a medium-sized branch. As I recall (others may correct me) it was stuck in the ground and everyone pretended it was actually a sapling.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No vote from me. I clicked on 'password reset', and then on the link provided in the council's subsequent email. This resulted in message "Error. Page not available"

Bloody council.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
... and the Southern League winners shield if I am not mistaken.

Petition signed - what good is a commemorative tree without a plaque?

Good work.

078.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here