Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

D

Deleted member 22389

Rudd was asked a Question by Caroline Lucas about Saudi Arms sales last week in the leaders debate, completely ducked the question.

UKIP where asking the same questions years ago, as usual they where name called by the left, now all of a sudden it is OK, double standards. 10 years too late I'm afraid.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I wish, anything other than a Labour win will see the BS continue to rumble on, look at Brexit, if it had gone the other way I wonder if we would even be talking about it now!

And we'd be getting on with life, instead yet another election.

Anything to keep the Tories in check from this election, either a tiny majority or a coalition. It took them 23 years to win outright, they've proved they can't be trusted to govern alone

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
dbe0e8dd6572b260c4a109d844105de2.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The IFS said Labour's figures don't add up.

The alleged tax take from corporation tax and high earners will never materialise, and will diminish by half over a 5 year Parliament.

Companies and individuals will make alternative arrangements - relocate abroad, invest in plant and pensions, work less, draw less from their companies.

Supported by a principle well established in taxation, that you the higher you raise tax rates beyond a certain extent, the £ take actually falls. And in the global economy, the lower CT rates in many countries such as Ireland will prove enticing.

The IFS have also said the Conservative figures (or what they can actually comment on in that regard...) don't add up.

Reduced corporation tax requires extra growth and investment to increase the tax take - of course it does, sell cheap you need to sell more. That growth is not sustainable, and not predicted to happen. We have had 7 years of predictions on growth that have not materialised. The IFS have suggested the initial cut to corporation tax will cost us £19bn. The CT take on the last financial year was larger than 2011, but that growth isn't necessarily on the basis of CT cuts, that growth may well have happened anyway, and there should have been more of a take on CT.

This whole 'well established' principle isn't well established in that you cannot sustain the economic growth required to increase tax receipts with lower tax rates. That growth requires external investment, and to put it bluntly more people / more immigration - hence we have seen rises in immigration over the past 7 years, not cuts. The growth model doesn't work without attracting outward investment which in turn requires a skilled and increased labour force. The numbers prove this, and hence the Tories will not promise any immigration cuts over the next 5 years, at least.

We shouldn't be a low CT country enticing investment, because we have the world's largest institutions operating here, we have established sectors that attract the business investment, existing infra-structure - we are where companies want to be. We are not Ireland needing to undercut to get people in.

Forget Labour's rise to 26p for a minute, this is about having some confidence, belief in our country, that even at 20, 21, 22, we are still the lowest of the G7, and that is still an attractive offer that the IFS isn't saying would mean you lose revenue.

Relocating aboard etc. etc. where are they going to go, because we have the lowest CT already? You think they are all going to go to Ireland?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I wonder how many existing senior police officers would like to say the same thing? Our PM is our former Home Secretary afterall...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I wonder how many existing senior police officers would like to say the same thing? Our PM is our former Home Secretary afterall...

Met Police Chief Cressida Dick said this morning that she has all the resources she needs. Make of that what you will.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Met Police Chief Cressida Dick said this morning that she has all the resources she needs. Make of that what you will.

Yes, it is hard to know to be honest, but I don't think senior career police chiefs will be making political statements against the government, or at a time when the public require reassurance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's odd that they seem to be doing well in the polls then, isn't it?

Doing well? They're second (also known as 'last') in a two horse race.

They are 28-1 to have a majority by the time this election is fully played out.

It's quite something that the Corbyn era of shambolic politics has the left seemingly considering this a success.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...The IFS have suggested the initial cut to corporation tax will cost us £19bn.

they have? that's about ~40% of CT revenue so pretty unlikely, or is that cumulative over an unspecified time?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

doesn't contradict the other statement made. no civil service department will ever say that they couldn't do more with more money.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
they have? that's about ~40% of CT revenue so pretty unlikely, or is that cumulative over an unspecified time?

I may have got that figure from another source, in this IFS report it is a predicted reduced revenue of £16.5bn a year (this is a per year figure based on the cuts since April 2010 when CT was 28%). You'll note that each time the government estimated the cost of the rate cut, it turned out to be a greater loss in revenue than predicted.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9207

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Doing well? They're second (also known as 'last') in a two horse race.

They are 28-1 to have a majority by the time this election is fully played out.

It's quite something that the Corbyn era of shambolic politics has the left seemingly considering this a success.
They have improved enormously, as Corbyn has been effective, and May's campaign has been a shambles. I don't expect a Labour win, though.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's odd that they seem to be doing well in the polls then, isn't it?

Latest ICM/GUARDIAN poll - Westminster voting intention:

CON: 45% (-)
LAB: 34% (-)
LDEM: 8% (-1)
UKIP: 5% (-)
GRN: 3% (-)

(via @ICMResearch / 02-04Jun)
Chgs w/ 02Jun

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Corbin has personally performed better than expected but his policies and previous beliefs are being ignored. The man is a disaster. That said, the Tory campaign has lost its way. May really needs to show some proper leadership over terrorism and very very quickly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here