Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would be the consequences of RELEGATION ?

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Taken from : http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php re FFP in League 1 - probably need [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]'s comfirmation though.....

Clubs in the League 1 and League 2 operate within a Spending Constraint framework termed Salary Cost Management Protocol (SMCP). SCMP limits spending on player wages to a percentage of club Turnover. In League 1 clubs can spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on wages - in League 2, the limit is 55%. There are no restrictions (in themselves) on the amount a club can lose or spend on transfer fees.

The process is interactive with clubs providing the Football League with projections for the spending for the coming season. During the season the clubs provide regular updates on their Turnover and wage bill. Any club that is forecasting a wage spend within 5% of the figure will be scrutinised more closely. Where a club is on course to exceed the limits, the Football League will apply a Transfer Embargo. Crucially, a club doesn't have to overspend to incur the embargo, it only needs to shown to be heading for an overspend. This interactive approach enables clubs to increase their wage bill if their circumstances improve - a successful cup run will generate increased income and the Football League may be able to sanction additional wage spend. Because SCMP doesn't rely on the retrospective scrutiny of club accounts, it is also extremely effective at stopping overspend before the spending actually occurs (something that has been a problem for the Championship's version of FFP).

The Football League's website's doesn't go into a great deal of detail about how they operate. However they have responded to enquiries and confirmed a number of areas that help us to better understand the rules.

Relegated clubs
The rules apply to all clubs and there is no moratorium for clubs relegated from the Championship. However, Transitional Arrangements are in place whereby clubs are allowed to exclude the wage costs of all players that the club signed pre September of the relegation season, if they were signed on contracts in excess of 3 seasons.

Turnover definition
Under the SCMP rules, the definition of 'Turnover' is particularly important as Turnover is used to determine the maximum wage-spend. Within a traditional accounting perspective, there are usually only three elements of turnover:
• Match-day Income
• Commercial Income (such as sponsorship)
• TV revenue (and any 'merit payments' based on league position)
However the Football League use a is broader definition of Turnover. Crucially, the FL Turnover figure includes donations from the owners to the club and injections of equity. Loans from club owners are understandably not included in the Turnover figure as these would result in growing club debts. up club debts. In League 1 and League 2, a wealthy owner can therefore fund the club spending in a way that is not permitted in other divisions. Manchester City and Leicester for example seem set for punishment for their excessive losses (from UEFA and the Championship respectively) despite the fact that the owners have injected hard cash into the club to finance the spending.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Should the unthinkable happen and we did get relegated what would be the consequences ? Would we /Could we do a Wolves and bounce right back as we would have the financial muscle to snap up everyones decent players ? Or would we be like Sheffield United , Preston etc and find it harder to get back up ?

Tickets obviously would have to be a lot cheaper but could the club thrive if the gates went down to the 15000ish mark ?

Even if we change managers and the coaching team there is no guarantee of any improvement in the team unless a lot of money is thrown at the squad and FFP would scupper that plan.

It's no good saying it won't happen, Blackpool looked doomed but Birmingham may pick up now and the other teams below us are in better form now so I just hope Bloom is not doing an ostrich and acting when things are too late.

Would tickets be cheaper?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The lanyard-toting 'customers' would all bugger off pronto tonto and the fans would remain the same. For The Withdean Five Thousand it would be temporarily heaven. Doubtless unsustainable beyond the first couple of weeks tho eh?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It would make the money we quibbled with Ward over seem like childs play.

If we get relegated we've only ourselves to blame for taking our eye off the playing field.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It would make the money we quibbled with Ward over seem like childs play.

If we get relegated we've only ourselves to blame for taking our eye off the playing field.

That IMHO would be the defining requiem for the club. As you say, nobody else to blame, apart from maybe the FFP bean-counters who appear to have had the final word.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The first all-Sussex league derby?

....and if you think the prices will drop, dream on!

Back to 12000 or lower crowds if they don't and we are not a top of League One side. The prices will have to drop or the ground will be 1/3 full. Grim days

SAC

May 21, 2014
Don't care as we're Premier league ready and will have the proud record of being the only club that have met FFP :)

FFP wasn't met in year one, year two accounts are not out yet.

Did no clubs meet FFP in year one?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
As ever, you'd be renewing before you knew which division we would be in.

You might, but with the large areas of empty seats appearing and if in a deep relegation battle, I think I would not be alone in holding off as there would be no rush to buy.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
15000 in a 30k seater staduium is not nice. Seen it plenty of times Boro being a prime example.

Would I renew*? Not on your nelly. Would I go? Think I would pick and choose. Im not enjoying it much now. The thought of facing Hartlepool and Doncaster and Oldham and Orient etc I have had my bellyfull of them. (unless they find themselves in the Championship)

*I would cancel if I renewed and we found ourselves relegated.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
[ QUOTE=Tony Meolas Loan Spell;6621972]15000 in a 30k seater staduium is not nice. Seen it plenty of times Boro being a prime example.

Would I renew*? Not on your nelly. Would I go? Think I would pick and choose. Im not enjoying it much now. The thought of facing Hartlepool and Doncaster and Oldham and Orient etc I have had my bellyfull of them. (unless they find themselves in the Championship)

*I would cancel if I renewed and we found ourselves relegated.[/QUOTE]

Crowd at about 88 mins on Saturday was probably that

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
15000 in a 30k seater staduium is not nice. Seen it plenty of times Boro being a prime example.

*I would cancel if I renewed and we found ourselves relegated.

I don't think you would be alone. The days seem lost where you had to buy season tickets to ensure tickets for big games at Withdean and the early Amex days.
Being a season ticket holder that can't attend every game, the incentive would be to pick and choose on a match by match basis and I think the Albion's cash flow would take a massive hit.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It would be the end of the world as we know it.

Tony Bloom and the rest of his JCL thousands would disappear quicker than sausages in the Cliftonville.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here