Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BEST and the WORST places to live in Sussex...?

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Lewes has grown on me over the years but it's still has that Royston Vasey feel to it for outsiders all very local for local people

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
South East Today hate hastings, but it has a lot going for it. The old town is beautiful and the views from the east and west hills are stunning. 4.5 miles of beach with a walkway completely along it is a bonus. Old town carnival week. Bonfire night. Jack in the Green celebrations with 10s of 1000s of motorbikes on the seafront. Pirate day. Live music scene. Great pubs...

Given the disproportionate number of pissed up locals with missing eyes, limbs and teeth I'm afraid I have often found it difficult to distinguish Pirate Day from any other in Hastings. They seem to have more than their fair share of parakeets too. Just sayin.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
And I'm another who thinks Hastings Old Town is lovely. In fact Hastings generally gets a very bad rep.

Havent been there for years. Drove through along seafront & was surprised how big / long seafront is & nice it looked

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lewes has grown on me over the years but it's still has that Royston Vasey feel to it for outsiders all very local for local people

Not many people live there that actually grew up in Lewes though, I find Lewes is full of people from London etc.
Nearby Kingston village is full of people from London.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Lewes is probably one of the best towns in Sussex TBF, great pubs, restaurants and very nice countryside on the doorstep.
I really like the history of the town and every time I visit I see something of interest.

I would not live there though TBH, because-
1) I don't own a pair of red trousers or a trilby hat.
2) My kids are not called Felix and Tarquinius ( I did mean to type Tarquin, but I like what Apple changed it to ) :wink:
3) I haven't got a beard.
4) I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan.
5) I haven't got a degree in media studies or similar.
6) I'm not from London.
7) Real ale, I can take it or leave it.
8) I haven't got a bike with a trolley on the back to take the kids to school.
9) I'm not an artist, a poet or a yoga instructor.
10) I would rather have a big house in Newhaven for the same price as a 1 bedroom flat in Lewes.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
How dare you! Hare & Hounds is a splendid proper little pub with bar billiards!

My dad was darts captain there in the late 50's, so I'm told.....what was the big pub in the centre called before it became a co-op? That was a bit grim from memory...

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
St. Leonards has a bad reputation, but the seafront is beautiful. The coast along from Bexhill to Hastings is amazing and there's some great characters in Hastings :D

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Lewes is probably one of the best towns in Sussex TBF, great pubs, restaurants and very nice countryside on the doorstep.
I really like the history of the town and every time I visit I see something of interest.

I would not live there though TBH, because-
1) I don't own a pair of red trousers or a trilby hat.
2) My kids are not called Felix and Tarquinius ( I did mean to type Tarquin, but I like what Apple changed it to ) :wink:
3) I haven't got a beard.
4) I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan.
5) I haven't got a degree in media studies or similar.
6) I'm not from London.
7) Real ale, I can take it or leave it.
8) I haven't got a bike with a trolley on the back to take the kids to school.
9) I'm not an artist, a poet or a yoga instructor.
10) I would rather have a big house in Newhaven for the same price as a 1 bedroom flat in Lewes.

I do live in Lewes.
But,
1) I don`t own red trousers or trilby hat
2)My kids aren`t called Felix or Tarquinius
3)I haven`t got a beard
4)I`m def not Veggie
5)I haven`t got a degree at all
6)I`m not from London.
7)I do like Harveys
8) I haven`t got a bike.
9) I`m not an artist,poet or yoga instructor.
10) I would rather live in Lewes than have a big house in Newhaven.

However I do know what you mean!!

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think we should give Crawley and Gatwick back to Surrey and Tunbridge wells should be moved back to Sussex and the boarder should pushed be further East so Burwash is back in Sussex.:facepalm:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I think we should give Crawley and Gatwick back to Surrey and Tunbridge wells should be moved back to Sussex and the boarder should pushed be further East so Burwash is back in Sussex.:facepalm:

Burwash IS in Sussex.

One of the nicest villages to live in is Horsted Keynes. Nice larger villages include Cuckfield and Lindfield, but Lindfield does suffer from too much traffic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here