Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Oh and also, much as I have huge sympathy with promoter, would much of this chaos and confusion not have been avoided if a venue with a track record of hosting live music had been booked in the first place - not sure how many tickets were sold for a Clarendon but surely TOM, Haunt, Corn Exchange, All Saints, Concorde 2 etc would have offered a suitably sized space?

Only because a friend of mine looked into booking them very recently, I know the economics wouldn't have worked at Haunt or ToM, Corn Exchange isn't open at the moment I don't think. Not sure on All Saints, I get the feeling that they might be pretty picky about who and what they hire out for, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone apart from OiB hire it.

Leaving the Concorde, that intriguingly has nothing on their website for that evening. Could mean they must have something big and secret that night (like this Royal Blood date that's just been announced) though.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Very enjoyable evening at Future Islands at the Dome who put on a wicked show. Really life affirming stuff. Chose to sit and drink white wine after the exertions of Saturday which I actually rather enjoyed.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was there!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The only time I've seen them! I think members of both bands were rather out of it that night. I remember standing outside at the end and seeing Yan being thrown out of the venue!

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Very enjoyable evening at Future Islands at the Dome who put on a wicked show. Really life affirming stuff. Chose to sit and drink white wine after the exertions of Saturday which I actually rather enjoyed.

They were really rather good, weren't they?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gorrilaz have just announced a European tour with a Brighton date.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I saw Beach House there last year. Nice venue, great gig but no bar! Not even Communion wine...

I've only been once for Josh T Pearson and was alerted to the situation so had a well dosed hip flask.

I also Christopher Owens play one the of the worst shows I've ever seen a professional musician do that night so it came in handy.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror and Wormrot are all playing Glastonbury this year. Looks like an Earrache Records takeover of the Truth stage in Shangri-La on the thursday. I am well up for that!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Anyone else at The Necks show last night?

Up there with Sun Ra in my gigs of the year.

The Necks were superb last night. I've seen them quite a few times over the last 15 years and that was up there as one the best I've experienced from them. I was also able to pick up the new album which seems unavailable, so a double delight!

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I've only been once for Josh T Pearson and was alerted to the situation so had a well dosed hip flask.

I also Christopher Owens play one the of the worst shows I've ever seen a professional musician do that night so it came in handy.

All Saints is an atmospheric building but the sight lines are terrible and they criminally oversell it - with those massive pillars down either side it is impossible for everyone in there to have a view of the stage. Will also not forget the acoustics on the Deerhunter gig there for a while (not in a good way).

I really enjoyed Future Island son Sunday. Predictably full of people who don't know how to behave at gigs (sorry to sound a snob!) but they certainly got the crowd going. I actually agree with that Source review - find it really awkward the way everyone cheers little dance moves. Luckily they have a set of really great songs so they just about get away with it, for now,

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
All Saints is an atmospheric building but the sight lines are terrible and they criminally oversell it - with those massive pillars down either side it is impossible for everyone in there to have a view of the stage. Will also not forget the acoustics on the Deerhunter gig there for a while (not in a good way).

I really enjoyed Future Island son Sunday. Predictably full of people who don't know how to behave at gigs (sorry to sound a snob!) but they certainly got the crowd going. I actually agree with that Source review - find it really awkward the way everyone cheers little dance moves. Luckily they have a set of really great songs so they just about get away with it, for now,
I was told on very good authority that the Deerhunter show was particularly bad because Bradford Cox and Deerhunter's tech wouldn't listen to the in-house engineer who has worked that room a number of times. It sounds plausible to me, Cox does have a bit of a reputation for divaish antics.

I thought it really worked for Josh T but that was seated and a totally different affair.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bagged some Gorillaz tickets in the pre-sale. Should be fun

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did anyone else go to the GNOD gig on Saturday? It was one where I was nervously glancing at the ceiling worried for the structural integrity. Ferocious.

I like the album, and can appreciate your characterisation of them as ferocious. I think they play regularly, so will try to check them out next time they play, but was busy eating on Sat night, eating a curry recommended by HT

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I like the album, and can appreciate your characterisation of them as ferocious. I think they play regularly, so will try to check them out next time they play, but was busy eating on Sat night, eating a curry recommended by HT

They're regular visitors so it'll be 6 months to a year. Venue may need to be a bit bigger though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I saw Thee Oh Sees last night and they were totally on form (and a little manic at times). Best I've ever seen them. Crowd we're going nuts as well. I'm not sure exactly what had fired up John Dwyer so much but whatever it was it worked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here