Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Locadia

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So people are judging him on being totally isolated with no ball against the champions league finalists?...

Better see your local GP's guys.

Anyone doing that is clearly a bit dim. But what about judging him on the fact that he was subbed off at Palace when he was trusted with a start, with the suspicion that his lack of tracking back and failure to look after the ball had us under constant pressure? Or the fact that Hughton entrusts 58 year old Glenn Murray with a lone starting role, presumably based on what he's watching in training?

It's not unreasonable to wonder whether he actually isn't all that? I seriously hope he has a great pre-season and shows why we paid £17m, but so far it's been a disappointment. A bit like Izquierdo, who was ordinary for about 15 games and then found his feet. I hope Locadia can do the same. I am certainly prepared to believe he has the right attitude, because otherwise Hughton would never have given him the chance to start yesterday.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So people are judging him on being totally isolated with no ball against the champions league finalists?....

My thoughts entirely.

Except it really isn't 'this' is it?

Who is judging him solely on yesterday?

I'm forming an opinion of him based on:

1. His performance against Coventry, where he looked decent (you'd hope so) but missed three good chances.
2. The fact he clearly hasn't been good enough /worked hard enough in training to be trusted to start.
3. The fact that he was IMO, poor, and even worse - lazy - in the home league game he started. Hughton dragged him off after the umpteenth time he'd let the full back wander past him.
4. His performance at Palace where his failure to concentrate / track back led (indirectly) to us conceding after a minute or two.
5. His performance yesterday, where he fed off scraps, certainly, but did nothing at all with them.

You carry on, though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Except it really isn't 'this' is it?

Who is judging him solely on yesterday?

I'm forming an opinion of him based on:

1. His performance against Coventry, where he looked decent (you'd hope so) but missed three good chances.
2. The fact he clearly hasn't been good enough /worked hard enough in training to be trusted to start.
3. The fact that he was IMO, poor, and even worse - lazy - in the home league game he started. Hughton dragged him off after the umpteenth time he'd let the full back wander past him.
4. His performance at Palace where his failure to concentrate / track back led (indirectly) to us conceding after a minute or two.
5. His performance yesterday, where he fed off scraps, certainly, but did nothing at all with them.

You carry on, though.

Yeh I will carry on thanks. :lolol: How many players has NSC written off after a handful of appearances who turned out to be quite good in the end? I see the usual ****wits are falling for it again. You've written him off after about 400 minutes there? Great job, well done.

10 full games minimum to form an opinion, otherwise sit down and shut up and stop making yourself look stupid.

Do you get up and storm out the cinema if you don't like the opening sequence of every film you go to see? :dunce:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If Chris can climb out of the away form fear box, and play to at least score away from home (against most teams), then I think Locadia could do FAR better than we have hitherto borne witness to.

Otherwise we will probably never see his potential truly fulfilled, which would be a genuine pity.

Obviously at home we tend to set up to 'give it a go' - that might suit his game better, but he needs a run of starts, and we clearly can't rely on Murray to save us for too much longer.

Here's hoping he a a storming pre-season, and the rest may well fall into place.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Terms like 'Lynch mob' being thrown around, are laughable. People have every right to question Locadia, on his showing so far.

Personally, I think the lad is being given an incredibly easy ride, by the fanbase. “Lack of opportunity / tough opposition / needs a pre-season / played out of position /etc”.

Doesn’t show enough in training, or off the bench, to get in the side = “Lack of opportunity”, or even amazingly “Badly treated”
Gets a game (out wide), but plays poorly = “Can’t judge him as that’s not his best position” (Even though it IS where he generally played for PSV)
Gets a game up front, but is totally anonymous = “No support” or “Opposition tough” (Well that’s the league you’ve signed up for Jurgen. You don’t get to bang in 4 against Go Ahead Eagles or Excelsior I’m afraid)

Sincerely hope I’m ridiculed for this in a year’s time, but I just don’t think he’s very good at playing football. No decent touch means he can’t look after the ball, and he’s not (very) quick, so can’t run in behind. It’s true he had little support yesterday, but all the things he could have done (pressure the opposition / hold the ball up for more than two seconds / play in team-mates) he failed to do.

I managed to scab some plum seats from Corporate on the halfway line yesterday and watched Locadia more than most - I was interested to see how he did. There are without doubt issues with being on the same wavelength as his team mates which will improve (him and Solly getting all mixed up in he 15the minute springs to mind) as well as having very little to go on yesterday but as someone who hasn't been playing every week he didn't seem to be making the greatest of cases to nail his place down. His runs into the box were either non existent - as I spotted him jogging towards the box in one of our rare forays forward - or completely failed to get across or away from his markers. Equally, his work rate off the ball was poor and he has physically out battled on the few occasions the ball came his way albeit by a centre half who is as good as any I've seen all season. He wasn't alone yesterday in playing badly but he was the player with the most to prove in that starting 11 and threw up most questions than answer.

I'll admit to being less than impressed with Duffy and Ryan when they started and proved wrong there so here's hoping I'm wrong again but I can't imagine there were many watching yesterday who thought he looked like 15 million quid well spent.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I managed to scab some plum seats from Corporate on the halfway line yesterday and watched Locadia more than most - I was interested to see how he did. There are without doubt issues with being on the same wavelength as his team mates which will improve (him and Solly getting all mixed up in he 15the minute springs to mind) as well as having very little to go on yesterday but as someone who hasn't been playing every week he didn't seem to be making the greatest of cases to nail his place down. His runs into the box were either non existent - as I spotted him jogging towards the box in one of our rare forays forward - or completely failed to get across or away from his markers. Equally, his work rate off the ball was poor and he has physically out battled on the few occasions the ball came his way albeit by a centre half who is as good as any I've seen all season. He wasn't alone yesterday in playing badly but he was the player with the most to prove in that starting 11 and threw up most questions than answer.

I'll admit to being less than impressed with Duffy and Ryan when they started and proved wrong there so here's hoping I'm wrong again but I can't imagine there were many watching yesterday who thought he looked like 15 million quid well spent.

So he isn't on the Craig Mackail Smith level of chasing lost causes. So what?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeh I will carry on thanks. :lolol: How many players has NSC written off after a handful of appearances who turned out to be quite good in the end? I see the usual ****wits are falling for it again. You've written him off after about 400 minutes there? Great job, well done.

10 full games minimum to form an opinion, otherwise sit down and shut up and stop making yourself look stupid.

Do you get up and storm out the cinema if you don't like the opening sequence of every film you go to see? :dunce:
You appear to be misunderstanding the point of a message board. HKFC is *not* saying he's shìt, he's saying he hasn't performed well in the 400 minutes game time. What's wrong with that? Do you want everyone to act like a seal on here until he either comes good or is sold off for half the paid fee?

Let's flip this on it's head. What have YOU seen so far that you like about Locadia? That would be the counter discussion to have rather than accusing anyone a bit concerned of being a ***wit, which is something you've had form in (albeit several years ago now).

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
far too early to say if will be a flop but hasn't proved otherwise as yet.

Not a fan of signing from the dutch league personally but will give benefit of the doubt at the moment.

It is a shame he hasn't proven anything yet as it does leave a slight question mark up front and what is needed. If he is to flop then we wont know until the window is shut.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yeh I will carry on thanks. :lolol: How many players has NSC written off after a handful of appearances who turned out to be quite good in the end?

'NSC' hasn't written any players off. 'NSC' doesn't have a unanimous collective opinion (of anything).

You've written him off after about 400 minutes there? Great job, well done.

No I haven't. I've done no such thing, at all. The opinion I am FORMING of the player, SO FAR, isn't brilliant - that's all. He may turn out to be amazing. Let's hope so.

10 full games minimum to form an opinion,

10 full games? Seriously? You've to prove yourself pretty good at this level to even hope to GET ten games. Are you still waiting for the tenth, to decide how good Agustien and Manu are?

otherwise sit down and shut up and stop making yourself look stupid.

I'd suggest respectfully, that those throwing abuse and accusations of Lynch mobs about are the ones looking stupid, rather than those actually watching the player in front of us, rather than the one we ALL want him to be.

Who is 'storming out'? If I sit watching a film, and the opening isn't very good, I imagine I'd sit there thinking "This isn't very good so far. I really hope it gets better"

:dunce:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Blimey, the immediate polarization of arguments that the internet causes is absolutely rife here.

"Hasn't been up to it in training"? Unless you watch all our training sessions you can't know that. It's likely that Murray has seen he has competition and has upped his game. Locadia may have trained well but Murray slightly harder. And Murray is more suited to 4-4-1-1 AND Hughton is notoriously cautious, tending to stick with a starting XI that he's comfortable with. What's more when he has branched out - Chelsea at home, yesterday - it's gone incredibly badly, results wise, so he's right to do so.

Nor did Locadia get any support at all yesterday. Our passing was shithouse and we totally crumbled under pressure. We had 28% of the ball according to the BBC and I reckon they've overegged that. And then, what happened when we did get it forward? March froze on the spot, or Knockaert turned in to trouble or Kayal got knocked off it or Schelotto fell over his own puppy-dog legs again FFS. With no Gross we had no outlet and we coped with the pressure about as well as a nun with anxiety issues.

That's not to say ANYONE is writing off Locadia. With a decent preseason, a bit of strength work, maybe another signing to gee him up plus the chance to work with Gross in pre-season matches we could see a different player.

But I am slightly nervous of HKFC, Simster and Bold Seagull's assessment of him, as normally all three are decent posters with an eye for a player (or not). There is no doubt that even with all the mitigating factors above, Locadia has had a very weak start to his Albion career. But there ARE mitigating factors.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For all your self-righteousness towards people who are concerned about his ineffectiveness so far, can I just point out that this isn't evidence at all, as approximately half of EreDivisie is Championship or even League One standard. He doesn't get to bang in 4 goals against league one standard teams like VVV Venlo and being surrounded by Champions League standard players whilst he's at the Albion. Why don't you post a montage of CMS at Peterborough in league one whilst you're at it, another player whose deficiencies you were laughably unaware of, for around 2 seasons?

Ultimately, you might want to look at the fact that Chris Hughton hasn't trusted him to start until now, and then ask yourself why. I haven't seen a great deal of him but from what I hear, he's not great at doing the basics, like tracking back. Sounds to me as if he needs to change his attitude a bit. Poor first touch I hear, too. Not much use at this level if we can't look after the ball after winning it. Quick? Not sure. A bit of pace but not lightening fast, that's for sure.

Acting all happy clappy and attempting to belittle those who query this signing is laughable. He may turn out to be a great signing and I hope he does, but so far it really doesn't look good. Sadly, I'm expecting a whinge in the Dutch press at some point in the next 6 weeks where he bemoans a lack of opportunity and would consider coming back to Holland if PSV, Ajax or Feyenoord came in for him.

Oh and it's "lone", by the way.
On a level I agree, because none of us have properly seen what he can offer.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that transfer doesn't work out.
He sure as hell doesn't look anything like the player in that montage, irrespective of the opposition.

I just don't understand the dogs abuse he's getting esp on the back of yesterday's team (and management) performance.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
It is always difficult for a player to come in during January. Especially when they aren't even fit.

Let's take a view after he has had the benefit of a full pre-season. Only at this time, when there is no 'established' starting XI going into the new season will we be able to see how CH favours him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here