Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton - King of Cool; the most hipster city in the world.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would move back to sussex in a flash, if my husband would agree and my daughter was finished with school. Reading is not as bad a people try to make out, and I live in Shinfield so it has quite a nice village, but Brighton will always feel like home to me. My mum still lives in Hove, and I back about every two weeks, I can see how it has changed since the 20 years I moved away, so I am not nostalgic for how it was when I grew up, I miss the beach.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wouldn't say Hipster City, heavily polarised more like. Last Saturday Mrs V and I stopped off for a drink at The William IV before the gig in the Dome, it was £14.70 for two large house wines, while we sat outside we were approached by street beggars 3 times in 10 minutes. Heaven or Hell ? Sodom and Gomorrah ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A lot of locals of a certain age(under 40, certainly under 35) can't afford to live there. Not all obviously, but plenty can't.

The proportion of 20-44 year olds living in Brighton is well above the national and regional average
https://www.bhconnected.org.uk/sites/bhconnected/files/City Snapshot Report of Statistics 2014 2.pdf

Nearly every house in my street appears to have local-born 20-44 years living there as virtually every family has grown-up children

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Brighton/Hove (mostly Hove) is a decent place as far as the UK goes though.
I'm glad I grew up there, but there's not a chance I'll ever move back, nor would I want to grow up there now.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
There's a lot I really like about Brighton, but I appreciate that as I enter the glory years of my middle age I'm likely to find the list is going to get shorter. If I was a student, or heavily into daytime drinking, or casual sex, or drugs, I'd probably think the place was paradise.

The thing that I really don't like about Brighton is the idea some people have about living there. That however tedious their personality, they can move to Brighton, get some tattoos and piercings and somehow achieve a level of "coolness" that is well beyond their natural reach. Walk around the North Laine most afternoons and you encounter an endless supply of these identikit people, all revelling in their uniqueness yet all looking exactly the bleedin' same.

I have a natural aversion to anything that is "cool" and people that aspire to be "cool". The really interesting people I've met don't shroud themselves in all that rubbish. Brighton is sometimes far too self-obsessed for its own good and that certainly goes for most of the professional Brightonians I've come across.

This, with the exception that as an old git, there is very little that I now like about Brighton.
Used to love it as a young git, but can't stand the fu---ng pretentiousness of the place and some of the inhabitants.
As the lovely Shania Twain sang...'That don't impress me much.'

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The proportion of 20-44 year olds living in Brighton is well above the national and regional average
https://www.bhconnected.org.uk/sites/bhconnected/files/City Snapshot Report of Statistics 2014 2.pdf

Nearly every house in my street appears to have local-born 20-44 years living there as virtually every family has grown-up children

That's a pretty interesting link, thanks.

I probably should have been clearer, I meant afford to buy a house/flat.

I don't think having a significant number of 20-44 year old's is relevant to locals being able to buy a place. It's a young city many people move there and there is a significant student population. For locals I can only go on what I know and that is the people I grew up with (who are 40 or under). Not many of them can afford to buy in Brighton.

What part of Brighton do you live in? Did the local born 40 year olds who live their buy their houses?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
For locals I can only go on what I know and that is the people I grew up with (who are 40 or under). Not many of them can afford to buy in Brighton.

What part of Brighton do you live in? Did the local born 40 year olds who live their buy their houses?

No one I grew up with in 90's & 00's have bought their own place in B&H.
They are either; still living with parents (in their late 20's and 30's), sharing with multiple house mates, or have left the City/Country.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I would move back to sussex in a flash, if my husband would agree and my daughter was finished with school. Reading is not as bad a people try to make out, and I live in Shinfield so it has quite a nice village, but Brighton will always feel like home to me. My mum still lives in Hove, and I back about every two weeks, I can see how it has changed since the 20 years I moved away, so I am not nostalgic for how it was when I grew up, I miss the beach.
Shinfield is only good if you live south of the blackboy pub otherwise it's the Whitley overspill:lolol:
I'm the opposite to you as would hate to live back in Brighton as just don't like it and find it full of scruffy weirdoes and geeky students:lolol:

I liked reading (30 years)to be fair although it's become to overcrowded to quickly and the traffic was shite:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The comments on these things always make me laugh as there is ALWAYS someone that says they have lived in the city for 20+ years and its not as good as it used to be, too noisy and loud and drug fuelled etc. I think these people just have to accept they got old! Of course it isn't as suited for you now as to when you were 20 years old. I love the city, it changes all the time but that is what makes Brighton so great, if you want a place that stands still then move somewhere else.

Fantastic city for young people but seedy run down grubby dive to me now :shrug:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Shinfield is only good if you live south of the blackboy pub otherwise it's the Whitley overspill:lolol:
I'm the opposite to you as would hate to live back in Brighton as just don't like it and find it full of scruffy weirdoes and geeky students:lolol:

I liked reading (30 years)to be fair although it's become to overcrowded to quickly and the traffic was shite:thumbsup:

Yes I am south of the blackboy up from the garage and school green. Lived here 12 years now, the amount of new house being put in is incredible at the moment, soon there will be no gap between Shinfield and Spensers Wood

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I live in Coldean. It used to be a council estate but it's pretty much owner occupied now (there are still some council tenants). So, yes, the people who live near me (who are all locally born) bought their own houses - it's relatively cheap by south-east standards.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The summary of the article rather redeems it.

Brighton isn't pretentious- it's just comfortable with itself.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
The original comment answers made me laugh. Brighton is so awful according to them but they won't reveal where they live!!!

One actually said Doncaster was better. Need to say no more.

Brighton for me and always will be.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Walk around the North Laine most afternoons and you encounter an endless supply of these identikit people, all revelling in their uniqueness yet all looking exactly the bleedin' same..

I don’t think any of them have ever claimed to be unique.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I wouldn't say Hipster City, heavily polarised more like. Last Saturday Mrs V and I stopped off for a drink at The William IV before the gig in the Dome, it was £14.70 for two large house wines, while we sat outside we were approached by street beggars 3 times in 10 minutes. Heaven or Hell ? Sodom and Gomorrah ?

So presumably you haven't noticed that this is currently a problem in city centres everywhere in the UK?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
This, with the exception that as an old git, there is very little that I now like about Brighton.
Used to love it as a young git, but can't stand the fu---ng pretentiousness of the place and some of the inhabitants.
As the lovely Shania Twain sang...'That don't impress me much.'

Blimey mate if you can quote Shania Twain songs I would consider it an insult to the city if you still felt at home there...try Dagenham.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Yes I am south of the blackboy up from the garage and school green. Lived here 12 years now, the amount of new house being put in is incredible at the moment, soon there will be no gap between Shinfield and Spensers Wood

Wait until they build the Grazeley 'garden village', 15,000 new homes:mad: Add that to the developments around Arborfield and Wokingham and it will be 'Greater Reading' before too long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here