Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like. Brooks. Started with Addiction but realised I had been given poor advice half way through BM when my feet blistered. Switched to Adrenaline for past 6 years and they are ok but still a bit clumpy. What are Ghost like? Any good for pronation?

They work for me and fit well, support me well and have what I would call medium cushioning ie they’re not too spongy but not rock hard either. The support is neutral so prob not good for you. I’ve been using the Ghost for about 6 years now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How many pairs of running shoes do people generally have on the go? I used to be in the "wear a pair until they're worn out then a buy a new pair" camp. Nowadays I have:

Saucony Ride 9 - for normal runs
Ride 10 GTX - for runs where there's rain or snow around (they are GoreTex)
Ride 10 - older pair which are still fine for a treadmill run
Brand new Ride 9 - Ready for race day in May, need breaking in.
New Balance 1400 - Bought last year. Discovered they're only really good for short runs. Don't get worn often.
Merrell Trail Shoes - For trail races

Not to mention the older pairs which I find hard to throw out.

It's an expensive business!

Uh oh. Off the too of my head, so missing a couple......

Hoka Clifton 3 x 3 - two at home, rotated, one at work. Road use
Brooks Racer ST x 2 - one at home, one at work, short road work and treadmill
Hoka ATR - trail - normal conditions
Hoka Rapa Nui - trail - dryish conditions
Inov-8 Rocklite - heavy duty very muddy trail
Inov-8 mudclaws - lighter, shorter distance (mostly) but muddy trail
Brooks GTS - occasional road use
Vivo barefoot neo - occasional light offroad use
Vibram Bekele - occasional light offroad use
Saucony Peregrine x 2 - trail

It’s good practice to vary your footwear, apparently can help stop niggles developing. That’s what I have to tell the Mrs anyway........[emoji23][emoji23]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

It’s good practice to vary your footwear, apparently can help stop niggles developing. That’s what I have to tell the Mrs anyway........[emoji23][emoji23]

That's quite the collection. I'm particularly enjoying the very specific justification for each one. I was almost expecting to see something like:

Saucony Guide - These are good for Tuesday nights in March

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's quite the collection. I'm particularly enjoying the very specific justification for each one. I was almost expecting to see something like:

Don’t be ridiculous. I always use Hoka Cliftons on Tuesday night in March [emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
How many pairs of running shoes do people generally have on the go? I used to be in the "wear a pair until they're worn out then a buy a new pair" camp. Nowadays I have:

New Balance 1400 - Bought last year. Discovered they're only really good for short runs. Don't get worn often.

One pair of Asics road shoes.
One pair of Asics trail shoes.
One pair of lightweight Nikes that I use when I decide to attempt a SB at parkrun – they haven't been used for a while...

I generally make them last – each pair probably averages about 1,200-1,500 miles.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

:lol: we should start calling you Imelda.

Serious question though, what's your take on Hoka Cliftons? I don't think I'll personally move off the Saucony but I have heard such mixed reports of these from "best shoes ever" to "instant knee injury". All around the additional padding - people either seem to love the extra bounce and support or their knees cannot cope with it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Serious question though, what's your take on Hoka Cliftons? I don't think I'll personally move off the Saucony but I have heard such mixed reports of these from "best shoes ever" to "instant knee injury". All around the additional padding - people either seem to love the extra bounce and support or their knees cannot cope with it.

I’m a massive Hoka convert after being equally sceptical at first. There is no ‘bounce’ unless perhaps you’ve got a very loping style, but even then the cushioning would be even more beneficial I would think.

If you look around the ‘marathon regulars’ (like the lot I was with on Sunday for example) I suspect you’d find they were by far the most popular shoe (not necessarily Cliftons, that’s just a model). Certainly true in the ultrarunning community based on my casual observation.

Definitely worth a go, particularly for us runners of a certain age who are more prone to bits falling off.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

“Occasional road use” :lolol:

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Just checking in. Am now on the penultimate week 8 of couch to 5k so it’s 28 min runs this week and finishing just shy of 5k so am right on target. Thankfully no injuries to report so am chuffed it’s gone so well this time after having to abandon my first attempt with a 6 month layoff.

Also I am now an official member of the “All the gear, no idea” club having acquired 7 running tops at a factory outlet site for about £70. Once I get a few miles under my belt it will be park run time so will probably be a more regular contributor on this thread.

Actually can’t believe I started to pound the pavement at 7am this morning but that was mainly due to the fact I had to be in for a painter and decorator visit at 8am!!! I suspect that maybe a 1 off as I need my beauty sleep at my age!

Congratulations on your efforts thus far, especially if without the support of a running club. I can empathise with the need to invest in running gear, just make sure shorts have sufficient pocket capacity and don't assume all sizes are the same. New balance comes up very big in tops for example. Will be good to see some PB ladder expansion

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Congratulations on your efforts thus far, especially if without the support of a running club. I can empathise with the need to invest in running gear, just make sure shorts have sufficient pocket capacity and don't assume all sizes are the same. New balance comes up very big in tops for example. Will be good to see some PB ladder expansion

Don't really understand the technicalities of the gear yet so just jumped on some bargains. I think they were a mix of Asics, Karrimor and Trespass and I guess the proof will be in the wearing!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don't really understand the technicalities of the gear yet so just jumped on some bargains. I think they were a mix of Asics, Karrimor and Trespass and I guess the proof will be in the wearing!

Awaits the sore nipple test on the next cold morning - then you’ll know which tops are the good ones!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

That's how we all started though, don't be worried about that! For me it was a trip to Sports Direct and then after a good few runs you get a better idea what you want/need and through trial and error you find your balance. I liked Asics from the start because they had plenty of yellow items! And now I'm in their pocket.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Bloody hell its windy out there tonight. 9k - Half like running through treacle, the other half like roller skating. Hope it’s not going to be like that on the big day!

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Only wear Hokas these days. Have a couple of pairs of Cliftons on the go for road running and a pair of challenger ATRs for mixed trail/road sessions. They have massively reduced my injury-proneness, and I tend to start a new pair once I’ve done about 300km in an old pair and rotate and then retire the old pair after around 600 km.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Personally I love the Cliftons. I’ve had all sorts of shin problems in the past from long training sessions and they’ve gone since shifting to the Hokas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Moyleman just emailed to say final decision on Sunday's run going ahead will be made at the last minute. Snow not their main worry but visibility on the Downs. So up at 6 on Sunday for breakfast to head off to Lewes. Feel very sorry for all volunteers. They'll freeze their men and ladies gonads off. Have added 30" to an hour to ETA to take any pressure off, keep safe, spend time thanking the volunteers and for the extra gear in running pack.

Anyone driving to Old Trafford stick sleeping bags in your car and flasks of hot drinks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here