Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you miss FM radio? Poll to follow

Would you miss FM radio if we lost it for good?

• Yes

Votes: 45 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Radio Reverb is on DAB thanks to a trial run by the Home Office and Department for Culture, Media and Sport. Previously, DAB was prohibitively expensive - there is no way Reverb could afford to go with it - until this low-cost trial.

It appears to be a success, and is being rolled across the country. It might hasten FM's demise, but as has been pointed out, DAB coverage isn't that of FM yet, especially in the car.

When that happens, I'm guessing FM will be re-assigned (rather than switched off).

Still cannot get audio for Radio Reverb on Radio Player app, up here in the norf!
Can get Mi Soul, which is Brighton based!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You should be able to.

http://www.radioplayer.co.uk/discover/a-z/p-s

It's also available on Tune In.

Screenshot_20170113-002058.png

Screenshot_20170113-002228.png

Cheers, have tried both options, but still no audio I'm afraid.
I have tried other stations and no issues there.
Must be an area thing? :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I may be drunk but I have a DAB radio in my kitchen and in my car and I can pick up BBC radio Sussex match coverage with no problem at all, it's internet radio that you can't pick it up for the reasons you state?
Nope, me Bush Digital radio says it on it's little screen thingy... " Content Unavailable " ... I know the difference between t'internet PC and DAB

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Nope, me Bush Digital radio says it on it's little screen thingy... " Content Unavailable " ... I know the difference between t'internet PC and DAB

Sometimes a large Auto Retune can help - i.e. - press 'Autotune' and hold for five seconds, rather than just pressing it quickly once.

Sometimes.

Doesn't bother me. FM reception in the car has become more patchy over the past year or so - possibly due to rubbish radio or signal being reduced? Curious that, however bad the reception is, Radio 3 and Classic FM always seem fine!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the problem for DAB is it solves a problem no body had, apparently isnt very good for car travel and bloody expensive radios.

i note that the cost of the radios is now >30 for some, so thats going to allow higher uptake. we have one and its nice to pick up a wider range of radio, but thats a bit of a gimmick in the internet connected house. you can probably buy a dongle and stream internet radio for less than DAB if you already have TV in the room? and what about battery operated radio for the shed/allotment etc? all for something no one ever asked for.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
52% can change your continent but 51% can not change your radio? What a crazy world.

And considerably less than both can change your Government.

But that's so called democracy for you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes definitely, in fact I've just bought an FM to compliment the numerous DAB I own

DAB sounds rubbish. It's now an old technology.

I often listen to the commentary live at the football. Can't do that with DAB because of the delay it's useless.

The future isn't DAB it's radio over the internet at much better quality than DAB can offer...

... As long as they shorten the delay.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I have a DAB radio and it really isn't all its cut out to be. I certainly don't get crystal clear reception as advertised and of course you can't get matchday coverage on DAB due to BBC contractual reasons. Oh and plus my car radio will be fecked too.

Rubbish! I listen to match day coverage on my DAB radio.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just bought another pocket FM off eBay.

Sad I know but I like to listen to commentary in one ear whilst watching the game live.

Odd it is the "modern" FM receivers in mobiles are rubbish compared to what was available a decade ago.

And as discussed DAB and internet are unusable due to the delay.

This isn't a cheap hobby :) The really good old analogue pocket radios aren't cheap. Particularity the Sony ones. Tracked down by radio geeks for their AM capabilities.

At the Newcastle game I was flicking between radio Sussex and 5 live with an "old" Sony pocket radio that is tiny. Not much bigger than a matchbox.

They don't make them anymore, but I managed to track one down.

My mobile can't do that.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Since moving back this way it is brilliant to listen to Radio Sussex commentary on away games. Why should I have to buy a digital radio just for that? All other radio listening I do either on line or through telly satellite.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
New car has DAB. I have a stand alone DAB that hooks up to the radio of my van. Mainly because I'm a 5Live listener though. DAB disappears between Falmer and Lewes. They turned of analoge TV so guess FM will go when the mobile phone companies want it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here