Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive pies in English football

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I havent see anyone post that they cant remember what their pie tasted like. If some people say they have not noticed a change and a fair few, which i would take as more than some, saying that they are not as good. I would say is "a general consensus"

Well here's 4 and me effectively saying "i haven't noticed any change".. just in this small sample.
PS: I wish they bought back the chicken and ham pie too.

Personally don't think there's been much difference in the quality. Still good pies, still better than pies I've had at other places .

the pies we've had remain a good quality.

I buy one every now and then so to be honest I havent seen a drop in quality.

I didn't notice any particular drop in quality over the first four years.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
6-7000 (according to Paul Barber) which would sound about right given the increase in ground capacity from the official club piece I linked to above...

"The pies may be the most expensive in the division, but they are also the best. Local supplier Piglet’s Pantries have won awards for the quality of their products, and fans are voting with their stomachs. The club sells 6-7,000 pies per match, a much higher proportion of fans are buying them than at other clubs in the division, who are serving cheaper options, of indeterminate taste, age, source and flavour."

Source: http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/cost-watching-albion-revealed-bbc-price-football-study/

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
AROUND. I simply cannot believe that they sold 10,000 at games like Millwall, Wigan et al last season when there were probably around 16k in the whole ground. .

Agreed. Either that data is out of date, perhaps its a peak in which case Naylor means "up to 10,000" per match . Anyway agreed i'm sceptical its up to date figures.

As crowds have declined in last two seasons (14/15 and this season) then obviously i'd expect pie sales to have dropped off as well. But unless Piglets / Sodexo/ the club want to share up to date figures then its all speculation.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
6-7000 (according to Paul Barber) which would sound about right given the increase in ground capacity from the official club piece I linked to above...

"The pies may be the most expensive in the division, but they are also the best. Local supplier Piglet’s Pantries have won awards for the quality of their products, and fans are voting with their stomachs. The club sells 6-7,000 pies per match, a much higher proportion of fans are buying them than at other clubs in the division, who are serving cheaper options, of indeterminate taste, age, source and flavour."

Source: http://brightonandhoveindependent.co.uk/cost-watching-albion-revealed-bbc-price-football-study/

Yep. Agreed. The 10K figure quoted by the Argus looked either out of date, or not an average

Jan 30, 2008

to be honest they would say that , either way they are expensive, good marketing pitch eh
regards
DR

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Would I rather pay £4-10 for a Piglets pie, or £3-50 for a Pukka......I'd probably stick with what we've got.

Bring back the chicken and ham and the balti and we'll be back on track again imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The growth of Piglets thanks to the Albion and its fans is a great local business story. Even the clubs detractors would admit that. Are they all "blind" ?
As for being convinced that the recipe /quality has changed despite vehement public denials by Piglets then fair enough. Be great if you could share some alternative links, evidence, or data that shows otherwise.

The pies have clearly changed. I remember buying a set of pies when the deal was first announced and posting the photos on here. You buy one today, cut it in half, and stage the same photos and you'll certainly see a change.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The pies have clearly changed. I remember buying a set of pies when the deal was first announced and posting the photos on here. You buy one today, cut it in half, and stage the same photos and you'll certainly see a change.
This. No question that they started off unusually packed full of quite chunky meat and that now they are not.

I can vividly remember being quite taken aback by the sheer quality of the filling in the very early days. To be fair, it didn't last long and standards were slipping by the end of the year, so I'm not surprised by some people saying they haven't noticed change in last few seasons.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Do it! (that's enthusiasm, not anger or challenging or anything like that)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
This. No question that they started off unusually packed full of quite chunky meat and that now they are not.

I can vividly remember being quite taken aback by the sheer quality of the filling in the very early days. To be fair, it didn't last long and standards were slipping by the end of the year, so I'm not surprised by some people saying they haven't noticed change in last few seasons.

I am with you on this but because of Chailyjem and The Large One, oops sorry, The Albion Roar I am doubting myself.

Can you link to your photos Herr Tubthumper?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am with you on this but because of Chailyjem and The Large One, oops sorry, The Albion Roar I am doubting myself.

Can you link to your photos Herr Tubthumper?

I posted them on here. I'll search and see if I can find them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Piglets have just read this thread and responded on Twitter. Headlines are >>
1) recipe/size hasn't changed since Aug 11. They still make the pies in the same tins.
2) The Chicken/Ham pie might be returning
3) They don't set the prices . The club does.
4) Happy to discuss further or in person at the Amex . On Tuesday for example.

[tweet]655042552966619136[/tweet]

[tweet]655042960623579137[/tweet]

[tweet]655043074104672256[/tweet]

[tweet]655043370541305856[/tweet]

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I certainly echo that.

I had one and, at the time, I actually questioned whether it was a C&O pasty. I may have had a cider or two first and didn't think any more of it until I read someone, on twitter I think, saying that they had been given a Cornish pasty when they'd asked for C&O.

This struck me because I had previously commented on how the Amex 'pie roulette' was quite a dangerous game for veggies as if you were given the wrong pie, it would be something you didn't want to, or couldn't eat. Moving to C&O pasties should have removed that element of danger since it was the only pasty shaped product being sold. Or so I thought.

If what I had genuinely was a C&O pasty then I'm with you - it was quite unlike any I've had before and not in a good way!

Same experience here.

C&O is my favourite type of pie. Couldn't wait to try the amazing creation that Piglet's would surely be producing.

It was foul, tasteless, distinctly non-cheesy, but definitely not a cornish pasty.
I think you were probably ok.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The 'emergency firm' that took over were good, but lost out to Sodexo when it came up for tender. I can't remember the name of the emergency firm, but their service was quick and good.

The 'emergency firm' was the best level of catering we've ever had at the Amex IMHO. Obviously quality catering comes at a price - which is why we never saw them again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here