Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Groß is still the best pound for pound bargain we've ever signed and you're right about Ryan too. Yes, it must be tempting to carry on. And you could argue we've got Murray who is certainly PL class with bags of experience. But I don't see him guiding the way a Rosenior or Sidwell would, he's too isolated on the pitch and can fall out with teammates (particularly Knocky :lol: )

The problem with getting the complete package is who and how? They've got to be affordable, good at football, affordable, able to guide the new players, not a dickhead and affordable.

Which is why one of those criterias would need to go, and clearly 'no dickheads' won't be the one.

This all goes back to Barber-Out and his 'bubbles', 'hyper-inflation', 'cheaper at the end of the window', the obvious one I always forget, when it came to excuses for not paying the going rate.

He genuinely seemed surprised football was expensive.

FWIW (nothing, as usual) I love the moneyball policy, I love the transfer windows, I love saying "whoooooo", most of all I love not being West Ham, palace, Stoke, t'other Albion, and the no imagination crew we get on here.

But if anything is going to bite the club on the bum, I do think it'll be it's chase for value, future worth over Premier League Ready talent.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
money is the reason.

Watford pay up to £100k a week in wages, West Ham £140k, Palace £170k, Bmuff £75k and Leicester £100k. WC star Lerma cost £25m, as did Madison.

Brighton reportedly pay £50k maximum and we don't spend £25m on a player.

Players and agents will always chase the money.

TB is trying to build the club in a different way, but almost inevitably we're outplayed in many PL matches.
I get that but for every two Locadia’s that don’t work out you’ve got a decent player in the side.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Often ? Many Clubs ? Do we ?
How many are first team regulars in the Prem ?
Sessegnon ? Alexander Arnold ? , Rashford ?
So you can do some of your own research...

Mason Holgate
Joe Gomez
Ben Chilwell
Josh Sims
Tom Davies
Wilfried Ndidi
Areola Lookman
Gabriel Jesus
Rashford
Dom Solankie
Fred Woodman

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So you can do some of your own research...

Mason Holgate
Joe Gomez
Ben Chilwell
Josh Sims
Tom Davies
Wilfried Ndidi
Areola Lookman
Gabriel Jesus
Rashford
Dom Solankie
Fred Woodman

Sadly i now have. And its a random list of young players who are nearly all 20+

Sorry i'd love it and England would love it if "we often saw decent 18 or 19 year olds appearing on the scene with many clubs,"
But in the Prem , its not often and we don't. So calling Hughton out on it is fair but then nearly every other manager is the same.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Often ? Many Clubs ? Do we ?
How many are first team regulars in the Prem ?
Sessegnon ? Alexander Arnold ? , Rashford ?

Sorry i'd love it and England would love it if "we often saw decent 18 or 19 year olds appearing on the scene with many clubs,"
But in the Prem , its not often and we don't. So calling Hughton out on it is fair but then nearly every other manager is the same.

I must admit, it was great to see Morgan Gibbs-White coming on for Wolves with 30 minutes to play on Saturday - I thought he was excellent against Spurs and really impacted the game. Just looked up his stats - it was his 25th (TWENTY-FIVE!) league appearance for Wolves over the last 3 seasons.

He is one year and 23 days YOUNGER than Max Sanders, to put it in perspective.

Max Sanders' one involvement with the first team, of course, came at Old Trafford last season in the FA Cup, when he remained an unused sub (despite Albion only using two subs during the game).

I also can't help thinking about that meaningless last league game of Hughton's first season, at Middlesbrough, when he had James Tilley on the bench and brought him on for................literally seconds, without touching the ball.

I love Hughton, and what he has done for this club, but on the evidence of almost 4 years in charge, our youngsters' best chance of making a Premier League appearance under Mr Cautious is through multiple injuries and/or suspensions.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I must admit, it was great to see Morgan Gibbs-White coming on for Wolves with 30 minutes to play on Saturday - I thought he was excellent against Spurs and really impacted the game. Just looked up his stats - it was his 25th (TWENTY-FIVE!) league appearance for Wolves over the last 3 seasons.

He is one year and 23 days YOUNGER than Max Sanders, to put it in perspective.

Max Sanders' one involvement with the first team, of course, came at Old Trafford last season in the FA Cup, when he remained an unused sub (despite Albion only using two subs during the game).

I also can't help thinking about that meaningless last league game of Hughton's first season, at Middlesbrough, when he had James Tilley on the bench and brought him on for................literally seconds, without touching the ball.

I love Hughton, and what he has done for this club, but on the evidence of almost 4 years in charge, our youngsters' best chance of making a Premier League appearance under Mr Cautious is through multiple injuries and/or suspensions.

Or, being better.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

.....and how old were they when they made their first appearances?........ and how many of similar age has CH selected... even in meaningless games.?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
.....and how old were they when they made their first appearances?........ and how many of similar age has CH selected... even in meaningless games.?

As i said before. Hughton has picked hardly any u23s in his squad let alone first team in his 4 years. There are some good reasons for that (competitive squad, their ability, his style as a manager, the investment in the academy coming on stream ). But agreed.

In the Premier League, yes there are examples of teenage English players getting a foothold in the first team. you've named some.
But do we "often see decent 18 or 19 year olds appearing on the scene with many clubs" .
Its rare and we don't. Its a problem for Southgate, the game in general and not something to pin on Hughton.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As i said before. Hughton has picked hardly any u23s in his squad let alone first team in his 4 years. There are some good reasons for that (competitive squad, their ability, his style as a manager, the investment in the academy coming on stream ). But agreed.

In the Premier League, yes there are examples of teenage English players getting a foothold in the first team. you've named some.
But do we "often see decent 18 or 19 year olds appearing on the scene with many clubs" .
Its rare and we don't. Its a problem for Southgate, the game in general and not something to pin on Hughton.

.... and your viewpoint is borne out by the young English players who are now starting to play overseas. Better than being stockpiled in PL squads and rarely played.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I get that but for every two Locadia’s that don’t work out you’ve got a decent player in the side.

But for every 1 Locadia that does work, he'll pay for 10 Locadias that don't.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But for every 1 Locadia that does work, he'll pay for 10 Locadias that don't.

Elvis Manu must be the only attacking player or striker that has cost Hughton ££ that hasn't worked out. (some mixed results with loan players who didn't play admittedly)
Zamora, Hemed, Murphy, Knockeart, Izquierdo, Murray, Hemed etc.
So what are you going on about ?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Elvis Manu must be the only attacking player or striker that has cost Hughton ££ that hasn't worked out. (some mixed results with loan players who didn't play admittedly)

You can't sneak Hemed in twice

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Small beer, esp as Hemed is there twice, and Zamora was a push at best.

The club are looking for THE players that top 6 sides will want to start a bidding war over, which is great, esp as the other option would seem to be the palace way, buying the players the top 6 want to off-load.

If any one of our early to mid twenties aged, £10-15m transfers, actually steps up they're value will go up by almost another zero, which would be brilliant.

As it stands a case can be made that the £8m spent on Ryan and Gross comfortably gained the club a further £100m

I'm sorry if you see my lack of criticism as some kind of criticism. :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Small beer, esp as Hemed is there twice, and Zamora was a push at best.

The club are looking for THE players that top 6 sides will want to start a bidding war over, which is great, esp as the other option would seem to be the palace way, buying the players the top 6 want to off-load.

If any one of our early to mid twenties aged, £10-15m transfers, actually steps up they're value will go up by almost another zero, which would be brilliant.

As it stands a case can be made that the £8m spent on Ryan and Gross comfortably gained the club a further £100m

I'm sorry if you see my lack of criticism as some kind of criticism. :shrug:

Not at all . And often you're just having a laugh. And you have that striker blind spot. But sometimes you're not joking and its hard to tell. :)
Yes - Ryan, Gross, Duffy are all recent signings now worth Multi £mm.I'd add Izquierdo and Propper to that list in terms of players who've increased ££.
Will AJ, Locadia, Bissouma, Bernardo join them - maybe, maybe not. But yep. Too early to say.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's been interesting reading all of this thread but in a roundabout way, the guy making the call did the Club and Chris a favour.

The response on Social Media by the fans not only Brighton but of other clubs too. The fact that he was almost unanimously shot down for his comments just goes to show how well thought of he is for the job he is doing. So I say ''Thank You'' to Ben

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here