Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stephens

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
When was the last time we won 3 points when Stephens wasn’t playing?

Answers on a postcard.

The Dale Stephens myth according to some. Make your own minds up, it's not pretty reading.

Games without Dale Stephens:-

2 Promotion Campaigns (15/16, 16/17)

Played 13
Won 1
Drawn 4
Lost 8
Win 7%

Premier League (17/18, 18>)

Played 4
Won 0
Drawn 0
Lost 4
Win 0%

Last win coming back in 2016 at Hillsborough and before that you don't even want to know.

Edit: I actually forgot to include the playoff games, so that's another loss and a draw then. Updated.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No way Stephens would have allowed any of that to happen

Of course all hypothetical, but I strongly believe he would, because he sits so well.

Both Bissouma and Propper were out of position and did not track the run anything like well enough.

If you pause the point when Lamela shoots, look for the nearest midfield player.
Stephens is integral to our team shape.

Edit - sorry misread your post [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Never mentioned anything about lack of respect just in my opinion that I don’t think he’s that great as those who love him think he is . Time will now tell

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Let’s see. [emoji2].

Would have thought the second goal immediately disproved that, as the cover was non-existent.

Incidentally who’s the better player you’re referring to?

Think kayal is the better player let’s see over the next few games .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course all hypothetical, but I strongly believe he would, because he sits so well.

Both Bissouma and Propper were out of position and did not track the run anything like well enough.

If you pause the point when Lamela shoots, look for the nearest midfield player.
Stephens is integral to our team shape.

Not sure how Bissouma found himself marking Lamela but not following his run into the box was criminal.

Kayal looked more effective in that no.10 role than Bissouma had all game. Kayal always does a great job for us, consummate professional.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not sure how Bissouma found himself marking Lamela but not following his run into the box was criminal.

Kayal looked more effective in that no.10 role than Bissouma had all game. Kayal always does a great job for us, consummate professional.

Quite.

In fact based on yesterday’s performance Kayal played better than Propper and Bissouma.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ami I missing something here? The comparisons between Kayal and Stephens seem pointless as they play different positions, as was the case yesterday.

I agree but Kayal replaced Stephens so I can see why. It was funny yesterday as I felt neither midfield was particularly effective, the game seemed to happen very much down the flanks for both sides.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Losing Stephens completely disrupted our formation and it doesnt matter how you dress it up he was missed as other players had to play in other positions to accommodate Kayal as he is not a straight replacement for Stephens in his position.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The problem is we have no one who can do the Stephen's role as well as him. We needed to sign a defensive midfielder and an attacking one. Bissouma is a box to box player whose strength(?) is attacking.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think kayal is the better player let’s see over the next few games .

I diagree with the binary choice of Stephens v Kayal.

Stephens is essentially a defensive midfielder, but also adding bite, power, height to our team (combative, so we don't get bullied) and handy at set piece defending.

Kayal plays more forward, is more creative, but can muck in with the CM battle.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Stephens epitomizes everything that is wrong with this team at the moment. Constantly passing the ball backwards and giving it away. I'm looking forward to Kayal getting some game time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But didn’t Kayal come on and play Groß’ role and Pröpper and Bissouma sat deeper?

Thought they flexed it initially with Bissouma and Kayal rotating.

Kayal certainly pressed higher/highest in the second half out of the three, but the whole team did.

I wouldn’t say Kayal is a Gross replacement, any more than he is a Stephens replacement.

If he does come in as anticipated, he’ll have to be very disciplined in terms of his role and the team shape.

Edit - perhaps Gross will be fit...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Stephens epitomizes everything that is wrong with this team at the moment. Constantly passing the ball backwards and giving it away. I'm looking forward to Kayal getting some game time.
A bit of an exaggeration to claim that Stephens "epitomises everything that's wrong with the team at the moment". There really isn't that much wrong anyway. IMHO.

But even our Dale's greatest fanboys can hardly deny that, whatever his acclaimed pivotal role and legendary positional sense, he all too often misplaces the simplest of short passes, and squanders [admittedly rare] shooting opportunities by being comically unable to keep the football down. This would surely debar him from a move to a bigger club.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
We lose when Stephens is out. He plays no more backwards than Propper does. See his play for the penalty award against Man Utd to see what he can do for everyone slagging him off.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I just witnessed some absolute moron outside the ground cheering the news they Stephens isn’t playing. I despair at some of our fanbase.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here