Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inappropriate use of the word 'that'.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
And another thing---my do ex players talk about the 'goals' when describing a shot or a save.
Hoddle does this all the time. Shirley it is a shot on goal not fecking goals :moo:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Am I alone in finding ex-footballers who use the word 'that' instead of 'the', incredibly annoying? For example, the bloke on sky at the moment just referred to the middle of the pitch as 'that middle area of the pitch'. Pedantically, 'that' in this case would indicate that there was more than one middle area of the pitch. Clearly a nonsense. 'That' is versatile, it is also used to describe different teams, i.e. 'that Liverpool team' (are there any others called Liverpool?), the ball, 'Messi hit that ball so skillfully' (which other ball would be involved?) and a red card event such as 'the ref was quick to draw that red card from his pocket'.

It is a small thing but it drives me insane.

This.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
And another thing---my do ex players talk about the 'goals' when describing a shot or a save.
Hoddle does this all the time. Shirley it is a shot on goal not fecking goals :moo:

Oh, no, that sounds maddening and I haven't ever noticed it before. :wrong:

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
One thing that grinds my gears with quite a few footballers is answering a question with "Yeah, no". Harry Kane is dreadful for it and I hate to say so is our Bobby.

Yeah its a very cliche type thing for a footballer (or most athletes really) to say, the thing is they are, for the most part teenagers or in their early 20's, so they are not going to be the most eloquent of people haha and not only that they are probably nervous being on TV or paranoid about saying the wrong thing and being hammered in the press or on social media. Chances are they media trained into saying or giving neutral answers which why most English players sound like robots when they give interviews. I love the more outspoken athletes who really dont give a sh!t and are not so P.C and boring to listen to.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Idiots, that's what they is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Somethink
Nothink

Or even 'sumpthink'

And don't start me on 'bought' (as in 'the ref should of (sic) bought the play back')

The trouble with this country is that people spout drivel and it goes unchecked.

Except on NSC, of course :lolol:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Am I alone in finding ex-footballers who use the word 'that' instead of 'the', incredibly annoying? For example, the bloke on sky at the moment just referred to the middle of the pitch as 'that middle area of the pitch'. Pedantically, 'that' in this case would indicate that there was more than one middle area of the pitch. Clearly a nonsense. 'That' is versatile, it is also used to describe different teams, i.e. 'that Liverpool team' (are there any others called Liverpool?), the ball, 'Messi hit that ball so skillfully' (which other ball would be involved?) and a red card event such as 'the ref was quick to draw that red card from his pocket'.

It is a small thing but it drives me insane.

Given the general level of English articulated by footballers, I think this is not even in the top 10 of irksomeness

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
My current gripe (after ranting about Talksport on the other thread :lolol:) is fans and pundits complete misunderstanding of how time works.

The game is 0-0, but the pundit says, "It really should be 3-0!".

WHAT? How does that work? If they had scored the first chance then the whole sequence of events would have completely changed with the 2 other chances never happening.

Seriously, watch Back to the Future.

Albion my Albion

Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
My current gripe (after ranting about Talksport on the other thread :lolol:) is fans and pundits complete misunderstanding of how time works.

The game is 0-0, but the pundit says, "It really should be 3-0!".

WHAT? How does that work? If they had scored the first chance then the whole sequence of events would have completely changed with the 2 other chances never happening.

Seriously, watch Back to the Future.

back-to-the-future-8-details-and-plot-holes-that-will-make-you-rethink-doc-and-marty-s-wh-1410906.jpg

THAT!!

If a striker suddenly appears from the future behind the last defender and in front of the keeper after the ball is kicked is that striker offside?

It also might explain the reason for Michael J. Fox's tick?

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Do professional sports-(wo)men get media interview training / coaching?
A few years back I picked up Aussie cricketers had begun the answer to a journo's question with "Listen" - I thought it sounded quite demeaning and belittling ....

That's all folks ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here