Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club shop in the centre of Brighton

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In an age of out of town shopping they need to allow shoppers at the Amex to drive right up to the store. I was there with the Wife who hated the long walk to the shop in the cold damp Brighton air. Let us park outside and watch the turnover increase.
And with the store in town. Surely now we should have a shop open full time. Bet Mums would be going in and buying stuff for Xmas and Birthdays.

They've had a Christmas stall in Churchill Square this Christmas. Miss the Queen's Road shop though.

Don't like going to the Amex just for the shop. Nasty walk to and from car park when it is wet and windy. Should have kept Bridge CP open for shoppers who want to be in and out quickly.

could let people park outside the shop tbh!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
A shop in town at least provides a presence for the club in the city proper- with the stadium being located out of town they don't have this connection. Other than the odd bit of travel chaos, if you're not following football you might not know the club exists as there is little evidence in town.

It would increase sales of merch as not many people are going to travel up to Falmer to visit the shop, although a combined visit on a matchday is easy enough.

There must be a cheaper option than renting a Churchill Sq unit.

It could also help ticket sales as that side of things always seemed quite popular in the Queens Rd store. A suggestion made on here a few years ago was an automated ticket machine located in Brighton Station- they're quite common on the continent where even some ATMs can issue tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. In an age of out of town shopping they need to allow shoppers at the Amex to drive right up to the store. I was there with the Wife who hated the long walk to the shop in the cold damp Brighton air. Let us park outside and watch the turnover increase.
And with the store in town. Surely now we should have a shop open full time. Bet Mums would be going in and buying stuff for Xmas and Birthdays.

Quite right. There is acres of space unused in front of the shop during the week. They could mark out a dozen or so shopping only spaces.

You used to be able to. I think it depends what other events are on and how many pedestrians are milling around. Having said that I've not found the 200 yard walk a problem.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sunderland had a city centre shop which has been closed down. They now rent a section of the Debenhams store in the shopping centre, maybe thats the way to go.

Came to suggest just that. A small concession section in Debenhams would be ideal. Just that fact that you can't buy ANY merchandise at all in or around town is pretty mind-boggling when you think about it.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
If it were viable we'd be doing it.

The fact the club shut the shop down for making a loss tells you all you need to know.

I'd bet if you saw the numbers you'd find that the store at the stadium not only makes significantly more money than the Queens Road shops ever did, but probably has higher overall revenues (ignoring the fact that it's significantly cheaper to run).

I think we're all getting a little carried away here. Are any of us now NOT buying replica shirts, casual wear, mugs, hats and scarves?

It's easy to buy online and there's a big physical store if you need to go in and see and touch the items you want.

The market for impulse purchases of stocking filler tat is being hoovered up by the pop-up in Churchill Square. Precisely the right approach in my opinion.

You can't whinge the club should be making MORE losses just for the sake of being seen. What if Bloom told you that by shutting down the Queens Road store we were able to afford Knockaert's wages?

There are occasions where something that isn't financially viable can be sustained at a loss for the sake of brand visibility and awareness however we're not yet at a stage where we can justify this. Premier League next season maybe. But now? Why throw good money after bad?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Unfortunately whether you have a massively majority shareholder or not the board are resposnible to all the shareholders to protect their interests. A shop in a City centre location when we have one at the stadium and the internet would be a huge waste of money, on top of the £26m we've already lost and the significant debts / loans we have.

I'm guessing in these numbers but you've got to be looking at rent of around £120k, staffing of at least £100k, say £80k on utilities and other overheads, so lets say an annual bill of around £300k, which I think is way to low, at a net margin of 10% you'd have to sell £3m just to break even then you've got theft and redundant stock to add in.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Unfortunately whether you have a massively majority shareholder or not the board are resposnible to all the shareholders to protect their interests. A shop in a City centre location when we have one at the stadium and the internet would be a huge waste of money, on top of the £26m we've already lost and the significant debts / loans we have.

I'm guessing in these numbers but you've got to be looking at rent of around £120k, staffing of at least £100k, say £80k on utilities and other overheads, so lets say an annual bill of around £300k, which I think is way to low, at a net margin of 10% you'd have to sell £3m just to break even then you've got theft and redundant stock to add in.
Net margin everything apart from Official kits would be nearer 150% margin I would imagine.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Would make a loss.

Tony loses money on the football team, can't expect him to fund a shop as well.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If it were viable we'd be doing it.

The fact the club shut the shop down for making a loss tells you all you need to know.

I'd bet if you saw the numbers you'd find that the store at the stadium not only makes significantly more money than the Queens Road shops ever did, but probably has higher overall revenues (ignoring the fact that it's significantly cheaper to run).

I think we're all getting a little carried away here. Are any of us now NOT buying replica shirts, casual wear, mugs, hats and scarves?

It's easy to buy online and there's a big physical store if you need to go in and see and touch the items you want.

The market for impulse purchases of stocking filler tat is being hoovered up by the pop-up in Churchill Square. Precisely the right approach in my opinion.

You can't whinge the club should be making MORE losses just for the sake of being seen. What if Bloom told you that by shutting down the Queens Road store we were able to afford Knockaert's wages?

There are occasions where something that isn't financially viable can be sustained at a loss for the sake of brand visibility and awareness however we're not yet at a stage where we can justify this. Premier League next season maybe. But now? Why throw good money after bad?

I'd go along with most of that. We don't need a presence in the town because I be surprised if anyone in the town isn't already away of the club and where they are. We are also selling out every game at the moment so it's not like we have a large number of tickets to try and get rid of just to fill the stadium. Ever since the Amex opened, you see far more kids around wearing the blue and white stripes than you did in the preceding 20 odd years. I would suggest that the marketing of the club is doing just fine at the moment and don't see they need to start up a loss making exercise just because a few people struggle with online shopping or can't be arsed to drive to the Amex (where there is free parking!!!).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
On a related issue. How big do people think the untapped JCL market is in Sussex if/when we do make the Premier League...?

I am sure it is enormous. Will take a few years (realistically up to 10+) of sustained Premier League status but the time would/will come when all the schools and kiddy football clubs are full of Albion fans - rather than the current situation where it is normal for a Sussex youngster to "support" another PL team...

How good will that be..?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Are you seriously saying that the "dealbreaker" in using the club shop at the Amex is the walk from the carpark, round the back of the North stand to the shop ?? That must by about a 5 minute stroll tops. Hardly a long walk.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Strolling through the glittering streets of southend tother day and i stumbled across this monstrosity , sorry about the poor quality of photo , my flash is broken , could you put up with another clubs shop in your own city ?

Man-Flashing.png

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Strolling through the glittering streets of southend tother day and i stumbled across this monstrosity , sorry about the poor quality of photo , my flash is broken , could you put up with another clubs shop in your own city ?

Man-Flashing.png

Blimey there's a flasher in that photo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here