Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Antony Knockaert

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Every thread with a random rumour about a player leaving you're on there pretty much saying they are gone. So yes, that pretty much translates to every player if people offer money for them.

You mention two years ago earlier in the thread but we're a different club now. We have a stable management team and a very impressive scouting staff who had great results last season. We've also got a significantly stronger team than we had this time last year so, while I would have liked us to have made more signings by now and sorted a few contracts, I'm not going into panic mode and assume we're heading for a relegation (even though we lost a friendly tonight).

We are going to have to agree to differ on this. On this thread I said we'd sell AK if the money was right not that I expected us to sell.

I was/am hoping for a season to rival last season and maybe we will sign the players we need, right now I am not filled with confidence that we will go into the season with all our best players. We have made some decent looking development squad signings and of course re signed Murray and Sidwell.

Time will tell but I'll carry on being a bit concerned if that's OK :smile:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We are going to have to agree to differ on this. On this thread I said we'd sell AK if the money was right not that I expected us to sell.

I was/am hoping for a season to rival last season and maybe we will sign the players we need, right now I am not filled with confidence that we will go into the season with all our best players. We have made some decent looking development squad signings and of course re signed Murray and Sidwell.

Time will tell but I'll carry on being a bit concerned if that's OK :smile:

A bit concerned is fine. Constantly being a doom and gloom merchant is just depressing.

As I've said on other threads, I would have liked us to have signed a couple more players by now and sorted Kayal and Stephens contracts but we've still got a strong squad and have not sold anyone yet so I'll keep having faith in a manager and backroom team that took us from 20th in 2014/15 to 3rd last season.

Jimmy Grimble

It's very easy to exaggerate your own players, but knockaert is without doubt one of (if not the) best in the league. Absolutely integral if we are to maintain a serious promotion race this season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's very easy to exaggerate your own players, but knockaert is without doubt one of (if not the) best in the league. Absolutely integral if we are to maintain a serious promotion race this season.

Excellent player and I hope he stays. However I disagree with the certainty of your last sentence. This time last year we had barely heard of him and we also did not know of the contributions to be made by March, Goldson, Stephens, Kayal, Stockdale, Hemed, Murphy and Bruno. If Knockeart or anyone else leaves then the odds (given Hughton's record) are we will find an exciting replacement.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I realise 90% of NSC are comfortable with this brinksmanship and have complete faith in the club. I have seen too many seasons where we got it wrong to believe that it's just going to fall into place. I would, of course, love to be wrong.

Remember it was only two seasons ago that the club fecked it up completely....

Brinkmanship? I don't see it as that. Suppose the club have decided not to sell AK, Kayal, Dunk or Stephens - well, in that case we just turn down any incoming bids. If and when a bid of psunami proportions comes in and forces our hand, well, that's football these days; there's not much you can do about it. It's not brinkmanship to try to hold on to your best players.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If he says fit and stays at the club I think we'll go up.

If he's sold then . . .

bury-your-head-in-the-sand.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Brinkmanship? I don't see it as that. Suppose the club have decided not to sell AK, Kayal, Dunk or Stephens - well, in that case we just turn down any incoming bids. If and when a bid of psunami proportions comes in and forces our hand, well, that's football these days; there's not much you can do about it. It's not brinkmanship to try to hold on to your best players.

If you are right, that is very fair comment

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] is getting some unfair stick here. I started one (1!) thread outlining my concerns re the summer following the latest PO failure. In summary I suspected contracts would go unsigned, and players might seek to 'create' a move following on from the disappointment of the Wednesday/Boro saga. I also surmised we'd see a lack of quality 'in's' and Murray aside, I'm not too sure we're as prepared as we need to be to compete (again) at the business end of a parachute payment filled division.

My original fears are still there and we're now sitting at the end of July.

The out rumours, although just that, concern me most - it turns players heads, effects key relationships and subconsciously erodes team spirit.

Hmmmm I still feel two will go, with more in Jan if we're in mid-table. Again, we shall see...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Excellent player and I hope he stays. However I disagree with the certainty of your last sentence. This time last year we had barely heard of him and we also did not know of the contributions to be made by March, Goldson, Stephens, Kayal, Stockdale, Hemed, Murphy and Bruno. If Knockeart or anyone else leaves then the odds (given Hughton's record) are we will find an exciting replacement.

I remember quite a few peeps being seriously underwhelmed when Mr K was signed ..as he wasn't that multi million pound striker ..we've all moved on and see how important he is..just as quite a few others are.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I remember quite a few peeps being seriously underwhelmed when Mr K was signed ..as he wasn't that multi million pound striker ..we've all moved on and see how important he is..just as quite a few others are.

not me
and if we found him we can always find another
although I hope we can keep him and Stephens

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah, they won the premier league and we lost in the semi finals of the championship!

Yes, I had noticed that, actually. They, however, have lost Kante and look like losing Mahrez; we haven't lost any of our essential midfielders. Ergo, our squad retention is going better than theirs. Simples.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
He wants to prove himself in the Premier League after not being given the chance with Leicester.
I don't believe for a second he'd go to a poor Ligue 1 side.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
He absolutely loves it here, can't see him leaving unless for an astronomical fee as he's on a long contract. Tolouse can't afford him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here