Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Best was shocking

View attachment 64590

What a load of old nonsense. Disgrace ?? Never been so angry??

I didn't boo but I can understand why people did, what I couldn't get my head around were the few people that clearly stood up and clapped best off, some did it in an ironic way, but some gave him a genuine clap.

Thankyou Mr super xxxxxxx fan but I think most people that went last night were not newbies and plastics, and they deserve respect for going.

Very much THIS.

Although admittedly I did walk out at half time so missed my opportunity to Boo Best.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Best can't be arsed. That is CONTEMPTIBLE and he deserved all that he got and more. In the same way that CMS, while sadly not good enough at this level (took me years to acknowledge that, I hate it but it's true) deserves credit and applause for at least giving his all. The least we can expect from every player, regardless of ability, is 100% commitment. It is an incredible privelege to earn your living doing what you love in any walk of life and quite a lot of preening, overpaid, dickhead footballers don't seem to realise that. The most worrying aspect of all this is that Hughton took him on having worked with him before. This reeks of 'jobs for the boys' and is the exact opposite of what we need in a manager. Some will say that it's too early to judge Hughton and he needs a chance to throw out the dead wood and recruit his own squad. There is an element of truth in that, but the mere fact of taking on a 'forward' with such an appalling scoring record, seemingly because he had employed him before, raises suspicions. Hughton doesn't appear to have much more motivational ability or tactical awareness than Hyypia, sadly. An incredibly disappointing season - and we're not safe yet......

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I know he's lazy but that was a disgrace then cheering CMS , coz he's scored plenty for his 3m fee.

You are entitled to your view but given everybody's strength of feeling I'm baffled why your post is so popular. Maybe all that wasted venom on Crystal Palace should be more evenly distributed. I'm guessing Best is being paid a shedload more than Murray was asking for.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Rubbish, I think you will find the 12k who turned up last night are the opposite while the majority of the ones who sat at home watching the champions league are the newbies and plastics.

indeed -

the fans are the ONLY people that PAY to get into the ground, everybody else is paid to be be there

the only options they have to communicate to the powers that be that all is not rosie are :

a) stay away - tis a drug for most fans and will always go regardless of the dross on display
2) not renew season tickets - not a very instant feedback vehicle
iii) co-ordinated silence - impossible for one man to start
d) wave white hankies - like the spanish types - who has a hankie nowadays ?
5) boo / hiss / geer - and it can be timed foe an instant, person, action

I booed, i shouted for LB to be given the red card after stamping on DS,

i'll be there on the 25th, i'll boo LB if he plays, but i'll also cheers when he scores on the first of the season v Bristol after CH pays £2m for him the summer

we have no control, we can just cheer, stay away, be silent or boo

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I doubt if Best cared much about the ovation he received. When I saw the line up I was amazed that the loan players were being given another chance in front of our own, who could at least be expected to give a s**t about their performance & the result.
Best is up there with the worst players I have witnessed turn out for us, with an unbelievably bad attitude.
I hope Hughton got the message loud & clear too; I can't believe I'm saying this so soon about his management, but I am really worried.
TB needs to make some big decisions now, and is CH the man to trust at the helm? I hope so, but really not sure.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The team deserve to be booed off every match at the moment. An absolute shambles, boring football, lazy players.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
d) wave white hankies - like the spanish types - who has a hankie nowadays ?

Dear Mr Barber,

I think I have spotted a marketing opportunity for the OneClub One Ambition Nike Superstore - Seagulls branded hankies to wave in disgruntlement, Spanish-style. The level of frustration at the Amex these days among the, er, 25,000 regulars and the slim prospect of much improvement next season means that there will surely continue to be a demand.

Yrs

Not Andy

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
What a load of old nonsense. Disgrace ?? Never been so angry??

I didn't boo but I can understand why people did, what I couldn't get my head around were the few people that clearly stood up and clapped best off, some did it in an ironic way, but some gave him a genuine clap.

Thankyou Mr super xxxxxxx fan but I think most people that went last night were not newbies and plastics, and they deserve respect for going.

BUT HE DIDN'T PLAY THAT BADLY!!! Forgive me for thinking that booing a player in counter productive. I was disgusted, I still am. I'm less angry if I'm honest and what I wrote last night was in the heat of the moment. I just think there's a way treat your players and individual victimisation isn't it in my opinion.

For example, I had no real issue with booing at the end of the match because almost everyone has had a shocker for weeks (Best included), but all of our strikers are horrid. Did anyone boo O'Grady for scoring no goals in open play in the League ALL SEASON? No.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I din't boo but understand why people may have wanted to. But I reckon that lots just booed because other people were booing (the boo took a while to build up). Plus Best has actually looked better (yes I know these things are relative) over the past 2 games. I reckon everyone just wants this season to be done and dusted.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I didn't boo, but wasn't surprised when it happened at all.

More telling for me about how LB is perceived was that on several occasions, it seemed embarrassingly obvious that his team mates didn't actually WANT to pass to him. I know they are all 'professionals' but it happened too frequently to be a coincidence

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I was at the game and I didnt boo him. However, I completely understand the actions of the people that did. I think unfortunately due to his reportedly large wage, lack of goals, and constant moaning at his team mates and our current horrible decline he has become the hate figure for the fans venting their frustration at a really turgid season. Expectations on and off the pitch have been very high since we arrived at the amex and have generally been fulfilled. This season has been littered with terrible decisions on and off the pitch and best is the culmination of all of that. I just cant wait for this season to be over.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I was at the game and I didnt boo him. However, I completely understand the actions of the people that did. I think unfortunately due to his reportedly large wage, lack of goals, and constant moaning at his team mates and our current horrible decline he has become the hate figure for the fans venting their frustration at a really turgid season. Expectations on and off the pitch have been very high since we arrived at the amex and have generally been fulfilled. This season has been littered with terrible decisions on and off the pitch and best is the culmination of all of that. I just cant wait for this season to be over.

Great post

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
CH said he thought it wasn't personal.

We weren't booing the team, Chris; understand that at least.

#lazylump

But there were players yesterday playing worse and trying less than him...I would've understood him being booed off against Norwich as he looked PROPERLY lazy and disinterested then but he put himself about yesterday, tried and was certainly better than Macca when he came on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lets not forget our genius fans booed Glenn Murray when he played for us before (Brentford away), so we do have form.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I hate booing, especially towards managers. But last night I didn't care. I was screaming at him early on for having the movement of a wooden plank. In fact, my nickname for him is now Jewson.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. He comes across as a horrible spoilt brat so I can understand why people would boo him.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
A scan of google images reveals him to be quite the Gangstaar (prick).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

This sums it up for me too.

I didn't boo him - I don't think I've ever booed an Albion player, but I can understand those that did.

He's a waste of space and money. The lack of ability is one thing, the lack of effort another.

Why we persuaded COG to stay in January is beyond me.

Best will be gone soon, and very quickly forgotten, but more worryingly is the fact that it was CH who bought him in to the club. With Best's goal scoring record, he really should have known better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here