Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robbie Savage

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Could Ward stop the cross come in? Would Greer kept his feet and/or blocked the shot? Would TK saved it?

We will never know but the questions are allowed to be asked.

Pointless but by all means ask away.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That's a valid point, but people would have questioned the bench if it failed to feature Orlandi. I just think Garcia got it wrong. First game in nine days, five days rest before Wigan. Make the odd change but why change so much? Too many players not match fit and he made his third sub too late. It's certainly backfired on him now.

Win the game and you have a probable lucrative sellout against Sunderland and then who knows?

Lua Lua looked like he had picked up a knock or was suffering from cramp, i suspect that OG had planned to use Lua Lua for the whole game in a bid to improve his match fitness, in the same way as he game playing time to Ulloa and Buckley. Lua Lua looked a threat and provided an outlet so maybe he thought it would serve us better to let him play the 90 minutes if he could (i don't think the substitution was tactical)

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I actually like Robbie Savage, but he does talk absolute bumwad almost all the time. Hs opinions are either regurgitated from what someone else has said, or they're gross oversimplifications.

But he makes me smile regardless.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Lua Lua looked like he had picked up a knock or was suffering from cramp, i suspect that OG had planned to use Lua Lua for the whole game in a bid to improve his match fitness, in the same way as he game playing time to Ulloa and Buckley. Lua Lua looked a threat and provided an outlet so maybe he thought it would serve us better to let him play the 90 minutes if he could (i don't think the substitution was tactical)

Lua lua was:

A) knackered
B) generally poor
C) failing to provide adequate cover for Chicksen
D) constantly losing the ball

If Orlandi or Ward were on the bench we could have shored up the left, but they were given the night off after nine days rest. I just don't get it.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Oh, and whilst the bench had no cover for the left apart from Rodrigues, we had Lopez, March and Bruno to cover the right.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Whenever I hear his whiny voice or his name mentioned, I just think of this to cheer myself up. 'Never fails:-

:clap:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I like Robbie Savage, and I agree with the general point he is trying to make, but in our case it wasn't a significantly weaker team and of the seven changes, one was enforced and hree were made for the better anyway.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
7 changes is a lot but then one was enforced and lua lua and buckley for D-rod and March is in no way weakening the team. JFC for Orlandi I can understand...Orlandi seems to get rested every few games to avid injury. So if you're going to rest him its a straight choice between JFC and Agustien. JFC is a fair enough choice. The only changes that on paper significantly weakened the side were Chicksen, Dunk and Brez. Brez had sod all to do so it made no difference, Dunk played as well as you could expect Greer to so that change made no difference. That leaves just Chicksen as weakening the team.

Like a few others have said the biggest problem was how we approached the second half. We sat too deep and set our stall out to defend and try and get them on the counter. For me that's where the regret lies, inviting a premier league team to attack us for 45 minutes rather than going for the jugular and trying to kill the game off. We've made it much harder for ourselves now and that's why I can't help but feel disappointed.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As an outsider looking in Savage is right, personally I think Oscar got it wrong. However, we were 5 minutes off having our cake and eating it and there was some good experience for young players. I'm not going to lambast the manager for it though, he made a judgement call that with a bit of luck could have come off.

boik

This - I too am from the generation where the FA Cup was THE competition and the only game that was shown live on TV.

To suggest that 3 points in the Championship is more important than a fifth round cup win shows how the FA Cup has been devalued.

I think proper long term, getting to the 6th round isn't important. Long term what is important is bringing through you players who can play for the Albion and then be sold on for good money. We can't keep buying people in on big money and making losses, plus, if we do bring though local lads it will keep the fans connected to their club. Everyone loves to see local lads make good.

We have to plan for life after Tony.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Perhaps Savage would have more credit to my mind if when he talks about the FA Cup being devalued.. He could bang on about the senseless scheduling of the replay next monday

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Glad that most people disagree with him, I was just getting ready for a rant but no need now. It was not a weak team.

No, it wasn't a "weak team" but it wasn't our strongest team either. Robbie is right, and I don't normally say that! We did miss an opportunity by not playing our strongest team.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I like Robbie Savage, and I agree with the general point he is trying to make, but in our case it wasn't a significantly weaker team and of the seven changes, one was enforced and hree were made for the better anyway.

I think that is a key point. A lot in the media jumped upon "7 changes" conveniently ignoring that some were improving the team, and one was enforced.

Look deeper and say that Dunk, Chicksen and Brez are clearly not our 1st choices in those positions. That was where the point is made.

Don't get me wrong, I like all three players, but I don't believe anyone would argue they are better players than Kuszczak, Greer and Ward.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think that is a key point. A lot in the media jumped upon "7 changes" conveniently ignoring that some were improving the team, and one was enforced.

Look deeper and say that Dunk, Chicksen and Brez are clearly not our 1st choices in those positions. That was where the point is made.

Don't get me wrong, I like all three players, but I don't believe anyone would argue they are better players than Kuszczak, Greer and Ward.

Good point...and i don't think anyone could argue that PB was at fault for the goal...that dunk didn't have a good game,,,maybe Ward would have made a difference...which means really only one position you could have said was effected...down from the 7 which is the headline....perhaps they should concentrate there criticism on next mondays reply..2 days after a league game and semi's being played at wembley...the final being played on the same day as premier league matches ..etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here