Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Daily Mail leading with 'Battle of Britain' begins, assume they mean that the Supreme Court case today is akin to a squadron of Messerschmitt 109's off the coast of England. Pathetic rag.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Quite an interesting chat with a customer of ours this morning based in Madrid. He has a house outside Alicante and the majority of his neighbours are English ex pats.

One of the main issues they have is their residency rights, their pensions and health care. There are scaremonger rumours going around that as they are uk citizens with their pension being paid directly into bank accounts in Spain. They have ben told that this is tantamount to money laundering and will be subject to European laws, not the agreements currently in place.

He was suggesting that Spain could offer a type of resident visa, but the EU are not happy with that suggestion.

If we are supposed to be playing hard ball, with a hard brexit, it will be interesting what the people who actually live and work in the EU will have to do to remain? Certainly it will affect me as I look after six of our companies in Sweden, Ireland, France, Poland, Luxembourg and Belgium and having to get a visa every time I want to travel will be a pain....perhaps an ESTA type of form would be the answer.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You be racist if you want, leave me out of it.

Why are those countries screwed? Mainly because of laziness, possibly caused by a warmer climate than most of the EU. The French as a nation call the Spanish lazy, northern Italy is the powerhouse of the Italian economy, the south, the HOT bit, is not, for Portugal read Spain, and Greece? Just look at their unrealistic expectations about length of holidays, second jobs while not turning up at the first, and ridiculously low pension ages. Blame political Europe for its many faults by all means, but don't try to use pro EU racism for the ills of a few basket case countries, cos you is plainly talking utter tripe.

Sorry but it is you talking tripe. Yes the southern states have a different outlook than the northern. But they should not have been able to enter monetary union. They fudged the books, everyone knew it at the time, but no, it was overlooked as it didn't fit the ideological zeal of the bureaucrats overseeing the 'project'. That has been an utter disaster and it was all avoidable. And that fault sits squarely at the foot of the EU.

As for racism? Just suppose that leavers were speaking like that about eastern Europeans or Pakistanis? We've heard a lot of comments from remainers about how stupid people from Yorkshire are. Now we hear that the Greeks, Italians, Portuguese and Spanish are just lazy.

For a pro European, you really don't much like them do you?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You really are trying the racism card today.

Strawberry picking exists, someone somewhere will do it. The farmer can pay higher wages and see the crop rot in the warehouse as the supermarkets will not pay the higher prices needed to allow higher wages. Alternatively, supermarkets can increase their prices to the retail customer, OK by me but not by many. At the same time you may then see far higher imports of strawberries from abroad as their prices become more competitive compared to our home grown stuff. Or.......you can offer work to those that actually want it at lower levels than those needed to motivate our own unskilled labour force, crops get picked and consumers get a low price end product. Nothing right wing in any of the above, just simple economics, but that doesn't suit your agenda does it?
That post was nothing to do with racism. It's a fact that many immigrants have been underpaid and work in very bad conditions. The simple fact that they will do it does not justify it. Everyone, no matter what creed, colour or race, should be paid a fair wage. I don't know why that would be controversial?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Got to admire Renzi.Does a Cameron,admits he was wrong,and resigns.Some democrats actually believe a majority vote in a referendum is binding.Wish some of their 'comrades' here would do the same!
On another note,if the Wiggies uphold the Government's right to govern,can that malicious crew causing all the legal kerfuffle be sued to recover the costs?
On yet another note,if the attached image of Wakefield Opera House is a bang-average theatre,perhaps Baldeagle could provide a photo of Crawley's equivalent?:lolol: woh.jpg

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Sorry but it is you talking tripe. Yes the southern states have a different outlook than the northern. But they should not have been able to enter monetary union. They fudged the books, everyone knew it at the time, but no, it was overlooked as it didn't fit the ideological zeal of the bureaucrats overseeing the 'project'. That has been an utter disaster and it was all avoidable. And that fault sits squarely at the foot of the EU.

As for racism? Just suppose that leavers were speaking like that about eastern Europeans or Pakistanis? We've heard a lot of comments from remainers about how stupid people from Yorkshire are. Now we hear that the Greeks, Italians, Portuguese and Spanish are just lazy.

Good post.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

I just tell it how it is, if you don't like it, I don't care.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Got to admire Renzi.Does a Cameron,admits he was wrong,and resigns.Some democrats actually believe a majority vote in a referendum is binding.Wish some of their 'comrades' here would do the same!
On another note,if the Wiggies uphold the Government's right to govern,can that malicious crew causing all the legal kerfuffle be sued to recover the costs?
On yet another note,if the attached image of Wakefield Opera House is a bang-average theatre,perhaps Baldeagle could provide a photo of Crawley's equivalent?:lolol:View attachment 79920

Crawley does not have an Opera house either.
But this is the theatre.The-Hawth-Theatre-Crawley.png

Crawleys Theatre is an above average modern Theatre, seating can be moved to create a large hall, or re arranged to create theatre in the round. The orchestra pit can be raised to the height of the stage to create a thrust stage, or level with the auditorium to give 3 further rows of seating. The stage is much larger than Wakefields and is capable of receiving touring productions of shows that Wakefield cannot. Crawley has a high fly tower with 50 or so counterweighted bars, Wakefield has half that and some are not counterweighted.
Nice paint job in the ceiling at Wakefield though.

I can assure you, Wakefields is pretty average, below average in terms of production capability and size.
Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Huddersfield all have far better theatres in the area.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But this is the theatre.View attachment 79921

Crawleys Theatre is an above average modern Theatre, seating can be moved to create a large hall, or re arranged to create theatre in the round. The orchestra pit can be raised to the height of the stage to create a thrust stage, or level with the auditorium to give 3 further rows of seating. The stage is much larger than Wakefields and is capable of receiving touring productions of shows that Wakefield cannot. Crawley has a high fly tower with 50 or so counterweighted bars, Wakefield has half that and some are not counterweighted.

I can assure you, Wakefields is pretty average, below average in terms of production capability and size.
Leeds, Bradford, Sheffield, Huddersfield all have far better theatres in the area.
O.T. but that's a lovely theatre.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Daily Mail leading with 'Battle of Britain' begins, assume they mean that the Supreme Court case today is akin to a squadron of Messerschmitt 109's off the coast of England. Pathetic rag.

I went to have a peek at the article to see if your assumption was correct.
Couldn’t find any reference to Messerschmitt 109`s anywhere. :shrug:

Seems a few people are having a fun day out at the court.
Unsure what the painting of Trump as a Nazi has to do with the supreme court case though.

3B0E282400000578-4001028-Abuse_A_large_group_of_pro_EU_protesters_have_gathered_ahead_of_-a-37_1.jpg

3B0E2E8000000578-4001028-The_Government_is_appealing_against_a_ruling_that_the_Prime_Mini-a-38_1.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You be racist if you want, leave me out of it.

Why are those countries screwed? Mainly because of laziness, possibly caused by a warmer climate than most of the EU. The French as a nation call the Spanish lazy, northern Italy is the powerhouse of the Italian economy, the south, the HOT bit, is not, for Portugal read Spain, and Greece? .

Those lazy Greeks, Spanish and Portuguese? Those would be the people who work the longest hours in Europe.

That's the trouble with the whole Brexit debate; no matter how many times people claims their leave vote is not driven by racism (and most people's vote wasn't), there are people like Woody cropping up with their racist stereotypes

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Those lazy Greeks, Spanish and Portuguese? Those would be the people who work the longest hours in Europe.

That's the trouble with the whole Brexit debate; no matter how many times people claims their leave vote is not driven by racism (and most people's vote wasn't), there are people like Woody cropping up with their racist stereotypes

I think you will find he is a committed Remainer ......

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think you will find he is a committed Remainer ......
There have been some unfortunately intolerant attitudes emerging in this debate from remainers. The stereotype should be that the intolerance comes from leavers. But Yorkshire folk are thick and now whole swathes of southern Europe are lazy.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But this is the theatre.View attachment 79921

Must admit it looks cleaner than I expected-shame they got the seating from the Sky Blue stand at Highfield Road!:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
While local prejudices are the subject,somebody in the pub this aft assured me that' southerners need immigration because there are that many perverts the population would decline too much without it'!!!!!:mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here