Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia - "...financial things...that maybe I'm not fully aware of..."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Then your recollection is very wrong, of the current 17 squad 10 were signed prior to Burke and really Ulloa was lined up before his arrival. So I make that 6 of the current 17 are Burke additions.

Yes OK, fair enough then.

What I should have said is that any signing since Jan 2012, good or bad, was the responsibility of David Burke. If people are going to highlight his poor signings, then they have to take into account the good ones as well, which include Bridge, Upson, Ward, Bruno, Orlandi, Ince, Lingard etc. (Not March as per my earlier post, he was Nov 2011). Burke did seal the deal on Ulloa, you have to give him that.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
We should ask questions of whoever runs / owns the club. That's hardly radical or disrespectful.

We should listen to their answers though. That concept seems both radical and respectful.

When the club says something that doesn't fit in with someones perception or even agenda, in general people seems to ignor the answer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We should ask questions of whoever runs / owns the club. That's hardly radical or disrespectful.
But surely, at some point, you have to reach that stage of looking at Tony's body of Albion work when you say his intentions are honourable.
It certainly doesn't bear scrutiny from a bunch of fat middle aged men who can't even make their month pay cheque last a full 31 days.

To be honest, even if it turns out Tony is the king-pin between the South American drugs cartels and Asia's triads.
Responsible for the whole world's drug production.
Wanted on all 7 continents, and is using The Albion as his money laundering front.
His eventual arrest, and the subsequent closure of the Albion would still result in me saying:-

'well we had a good run at it, his heart was in the right place, and it's nice to leave on top'.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given we've lost two very good managers in quick succession and funding appears partly to blame it's hardly bedwetting to question a statement by our new manager that as first reading appears to suggest there could be a problem funding.
There is a problem with funding. The problem is, clubs with parachute payments can spend more than us. Everyone knows and understands that. So in the context that we're operating with financial limits, there's no problem. The statement from Sami doesn't change anything there, and doesn't mean he hasn't joined being fully aware of the limitations.

Even more so given what Archer did to us so many years go - and no, I'm not suggesting Bloom will do the same but it's prudent to question everything put out by the club.
What? The fact that Archer robbed our club is totally irrelevant to how we're no being run.

It can be. It depends what the questions are, and the meaning behind them.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There seem to be some extreme reactions to people being a little impatient, and some lack of understanding of human nature.

People are hungry for news about the club, about signings, etc. If you can't deal with that, is NSC the best place for you? You're relaxed about things because there's so much time until the season starts, fine, enjoy the summer break, no need to get your panties in a bunch because others are a little impatient for news.

If you get burnt by a faulty old oven, you replace the oven and get a nice one, aren't you still going to be alert to the risk of burning yourself again, even though this new oven has give you no cause for concern over it being faulty? To mention Archer when referring to asking questions of Bloom doesn't mean you are comparing them. It is about having been burned before and gone through that, and just not being entirely comfortable, regardless of the advances of technology, or that the faulty oven was an anomaly. It's not a reflection of Bloom or his stewardship, but of the long term effects of going through such a trauma. Like the person who struggles to trust their current love interest because their last one cheated. OK, you have moved on and gotten over it enough to not let it affect your relationship with the club/Bloom, but not everyone can move on that easily.

Am I concerned? No, of course not, but I'm not going to get worked up because other people aren't as relaxed as me about signings.

There seem to be some extreme reactions to people being a little impatient, and some lack of understanding of human nature.

People are hungry for news about the club, about signings, etc. If you can't deal with that, is NSC the best place for you? You're relaxed about things because there's so much time until the season starts, fine, enjoy the summer break, no need to get your panties in a bunch because others are a little impatient for news.

If you get burnt by a faulty old oven, you replace the oven and get a nice one, aren't you still going to be alert to the risk of burning yourself again, even though this new oven has give you no cause for concern over it being faulty? To mention Archer when referring to asking questions of Bloom doesn't mean you are comparing them. It is about having been burned before and gone through that, and just not being entirely comfortable, regardless of the advances of technology, or that the faulty oven was an anomaly. It's not a reflection of Bloom or his stewardship, but of the long term effects of going through such a trauma. Like the person who struggles to trust their current love interest because their last one cheated. OK, you have moved on and gotten over it enough to not let it affect your relationship with the club/Bloom, but not everyone can move on that easily.

Am I concerned? No, of course not, but I'm not going to get worked up because other people aren't as relaxed as me about signings.

How's the new oven?

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I never had you down as a bedwetter, Looney, but you are beckoning one. Your anti-Bloom agenda is tiresome.

You must be Barbers No1 shill on here and leader of the lickers. Ive made about 4 barber refences in the last year.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
You must be Barbers No1 shill on here and leader of the lickers. Ive made about 4 barber refences in the last year.

Well you've been on about him the last few days, that's why I've noticed it. You were never part of the old DK clique, so why the issue with the current regime?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Without referencing any particular posts, can I just say that I'm beginning to regret having started this particular thread :nono:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Without referencing any particular posts, can I just say that I'm beginning to regret having started this particular thread :nono:

I've just started a business selling adult nappies over the internet. This thread is great for my business judging by some of the reactions, keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

& [MENTION=24827]Justice[/MENTION]

I'll ask this question again of you guys.

What has to happen for you to not feel the need 'to ask questions' of the club'?

Our history alone is littered with boards and owners who should have been challenged more.
Looking around the leagues there's so many questions to be asked of the likes of Leeds, WBA, Cardiff, Man Utd, Villa, Blackburn and on and on and on.

I know more about the finances and structure of the Albion than I do Royal Mail (I'm a share holder).
I understand the employees and their position.
I can see the investment, I know where it's come from and how it's being repaid.

I just don't see what else I, a fat middle aged postman, can hope to gain from 'questioning the club'.
Let alone how I would do that without it sounding disrespectful and ungrateful.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
& @Justice

I'll ask this question again of you guys.

What has to happen for you to not feel the need 'to ask questions' of the club'?

Our history alone is littered with boards and owners who should have been challenged more.
Looking around the leagues there's so many questions to be asked of the likes of Leeds, WBA, Cardiff, Man Utd, Villa, Blackburn and on and on and on.

I know more about the finances and structure of the Albion than I do Royal Mail (I'm a share holder).
I understand the employees and their position.
I can see the investment, I know where it's come from and how it's being repaid.

I just don't see what else I, a fat middle aged postman, can hope to gain from 'questioning the club'.
Let alone how I would do that without it sounding disrespectful and ungrateful.

I think you're mis-interpreting what I mean ( I obviously can't speak for the other two ).

I believe the club should always be questioned, I certainly don't believe there's anything dodgy going on, but by constantly questioning why certain decisions have been made keeps the club on their toes. It doesn't mean I'm critical of Bloom et al.

Tony Bloom and Paul Barber don't seem to mind being questioned - Paul in particular answers questions directly via email and video interviews. Tony always seems happy to attend fans forums - I'm sure if he objected to being questioned he wouldn't bother.

To answer your question directly - never.

I'm an IT Business Consultant, ( when in work ) I'm paid to ask CEOs and board executives difficult questions - I guess I just can't stop :cool:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think you're mis-interpreting what I mean ( I obviously can't speak for the other two ).

I'm an IT Business Consultant, ( when in work ) I'm paid to ask CEOs and board executives difficult questions - I guess I just can't stop :cool:

And where would we be if no-one had asked the questions back in the Bellotti/Archer/Stanley era, it doesn't always mean bad things when questions are asked

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cheers Westdene.

And where would we be if no-one had asked the questions back in the Bellotti/Archer/Stanley era, it doesn't always mean bad things when questions are asked

I don't remember Archer et al gaining credibility by building a £100+m stadium, £15+m training complex and spending more on the team than the previous 100 years combined.

But hey if you think they should be held up for questioning and scrutiny who am I to argue.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Cheers Westdene.

I don't remember Archer et al gaining credibility by building a £100+m stadium, £15+m training complex and spending more on the team than the previous 100 years combined.

But hey if you think they should be held up for questioning and scrutiny who am I to argue.
Wonderful stuff, but it doesn't stop them making mistakes. Money & being a fan doesn't make someone perfect.. Look at Hull. The fans won their fight to be called City rather than Tigers.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Cheers Westdene.

And I don't remember pointing that answer towards TB. Asking questions keeps people on their toes and sorts out the bad eggs aka Archer/Stanley who were eventually found out. IMO Bloom has nothing to answer but questions never hurt

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here