Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Katie Hopkins in Lewes

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Some people have a messed up view of 'freedom of speech', Katie Hopkins peddles hate and should not have a platform to do so. Well done the good people of Lewes.

Hate? Saying something that YOU do not agree with is hate?

You are a blind fool Sir.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Some people have a messed up view of 'freedom of speech', Katie Hopkins peddles hate and should not have a platform to do so. Well done the good people of Lewes.
And you appear to be one of those who only grant that freedom to people you don't disagree with. Personally I have zero time for Hopkins and her vile spewings, but I have even less time for those that want to prevent her from airing her views. The way to deal with her kind is to show them up for what they are, not make them martyrs for free speech - all that does is give her the moral high ground

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

The only person messed up is you. Sorry fella. You might call it hate others don't. Yes you are denying freedom of speech. .

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hopkins speaks: small (if any coverage) of it in media. Perhaps a lack of attendance is picked up on and used to frame her as a bit if a tragic figure

Hopkins is prevented: definite coverage in media, Hopkins seen as relevant as she is causing a reaction.

If I didn't like Hopkins and wanted to see her fail I know which of the above I would prefer. I'm not suggesting it happened here but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the prevented from speaking stories aren't really that true (either the protesters are paid for or the person declines to talk and makes out they've been prevented).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i assume this is for comedy or are people genuinely comparing her to fascists? she's a Mail columnist who speaks her mind and shares her opinion with a large minority of the population, whether you like it or not. hate speech? its about as hateful as an Al Murray routine. this agenda of silencing anyone is undemocratic and we should be very wary of the leftist that drive this.

I'm not sure Al Murray would find comparing refugees to cockroaches particularly funny.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...rants-cockroaches-feral-humans_n_7877124.html

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

....and you’re a major part of the problem with those views .

Tragic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
When someone is banned from speaking it usually makes me curious enough to want to watch/listen to it, at which point I realise it generally wasn't that bad. Worrying times.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So some of you don't think she indulges in hate speech:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/katie-hopkins-when-is-enough-enough-10186490.html

“Make no mistake, these migrants are like cockroaches. They might look a bit “Bob Geldof’s Ethiopia circa 1984”, but they are built to survive a nuclear bomb. They are survivors”

“What we need are gunships sending these boats back to their own country”"

“Some of our towns are festering sores, plagued by swarms of migrants and asylum seekers, shelling out benefits like Monopoly money”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
She's an attention-seeking, hateful ballsack. Now she's just got more attention. Well done eh.

That's probably why she chose somewhere like Lewes. [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] seems to think it was crusties who stopped her, but from photos I've seen, it looks a lot like students to me.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
One of the drawbacks of social media is that her often vile and always attention seeking views are shared and spread like wildfire, often by those who most disagree with them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Godwin's Law in thirteen posts. Impressive.

I think she's a hateful woman but she, as well as everyone else, should be afforded the opportunity to speak her mind.

I'm one of those liberal lefty snowflake types but it does irk me when people on this side of the fence think it's better to shut people up instead of engaging them in debate.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When someone is banned from speaking it usually makes me curious enough to want to watch/listen to it, at which point I realise it generally wasn't that bad. Worrying times.

Spot on. Banning people from speaking is completely counter-productive. The proof of that is the BNP who always managed to play the little victim against the big liberal establishment until Nick Griffin appeared on Question Time and showed himself and his party up for what it truly is/was. That performance destroyed his credibility.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall had it spot on "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". This is one of the crucial tests of whether we do live in a free society.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
How was she prevented from speaking, sounds like she bottled it to me, she needs to mtfu and not be such a lightweight and bail at the first sign that someone might not like what she says.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Godwin's Law in thirteen posts. Impressive.

I think she's a hateful woman but she, as well as everyone else, should be afforded the opportunity to speak her mind.

I'm one of those liberal lefty snowflake types but it does irk me when people on this side of the fence think it's better to shut people up instead of engaging them in debate.

In fairness, it's one of those rare examples where a comparison to Hitler is, to some extent, relevant.

I agree about people sharing their opinion, entirely, but this isn't about debate IMO, this is someone spouting hateful untruths. Hopkins obviously has very strong view on immigration for which she is handsomely rewarded by the Mail (© Stewart Lee) and she is, of course, perfectly entitled to share those views within the confines of decency and the law. Clearly she has not been convicted of hate speech so some would use that fact to defend her but I think she oversteps the mark.

For what it's worth, if we're going to vehemently defend one's freedom to speak, then surely we must also offer that same robust to defence of freedom to protest against said speaker.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
i assume this is for comedy or are people genuinely comparing her to fascists? she's a Mail columnist who speaks her mind and shares her opinion with a large minority of the population, whether you like it or not. hate speech? its about as hateful as an Al Murray routine. this agenda of silencing anyone is undemocratic and we should be very wary of the leftist that drive this.

Are you seriously trying to deny that she frequently makes fascistic statements, and compare her to Al Murray? Wow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here