Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The moon ...

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Inspired me. Ended up being one of the most difficult photos I've ever taken.

Screaming baby with me
Too big for my lens (24mm) needed a fish eye
Had to make it from 6 shots!

Almost worth it in the end!

View attachment 62670

Well done succeeded where I failed. Would be interestings in what settings you used?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Well done succeeded where I failed. Would be interestings in what settings you used?

Something like ISO250 f9 30sec with a tripod. Took 6 images to get the full photo, overlaid and blended in Photoshop.

Used a canon 7d with 24-70mm 2.8L @ 24mm manual focus.

I used to have a 15mm 180 fish eye, that would have been perfect.

I was surprised how "wide" the image needed to be. Even tried my 18-135 on 18mm and could still bearly get the whole ring in one shot.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
Something like ISO250 f9 30sec with a tripod. Took 6 images to get the full photo, overlaid and blended in Photoshop.

I once saw 198 fish eyes in September - they were Mackerel, Gurnard and Black Bream.
Shame we came in to Ferring beach before the 100'th.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ooh that ring's big. Decided just to go for the moon:

Moon.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thanks for the photos. Snowing heavily in Cambridge; so not much to see here :nono:

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks for the heads up on this. I was just off to bed north of Horsham in the countryside so no light pollution so went outside to look. Wow, looked like a massive hole in the sky. Was getting cloudy and 'ring' was too large for my little camera but I've uploaded one to give an idea. I'm sure there'll be better photos of it but this is what I saw. Never seen anything like it. Now for some cocoa, it is bl**dy freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing outside.
DSCF2250.JPG

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011

I was surprised how "wide" the image needed to be. Even tried my 18-135 on 18mm and could still bearly get the whole ring in one shot.

Many thanks, just shows I was way off.

Mrs P told me to go and look and I therefore braved the elements in my dressing gown and was duly impressed. A big:bowdown: to those of you who took such fab photos of this phenomenon - any astronomers able to enlighten as to the correct term for this?

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Many thanks, just shows I was way off.

Settings are always dictated by the subject, lighting conditions and settings available to you.

Always start with the most "important" setting to get the desired photo. In this case I wanted to use a high (narrow) aperture, F9, to ensure as much of the image is in focus (low aperture reduces depth of field, which is desirable in close ups/portraits, high aperture the opposite) also a narrow aperture causes the "staring" around lights which looks cool too!

I then wanted the best quality photo as possible so chose a low ISO, ideally the lowest the camera goes (100ISO). High ISO increases sensor sensitivity but loses quality.

This left me with shutter speed to get enough light to expose the image. The needed to be around 45sec but my camera only goes to 30sec and I don't have a camera release. Also didn't want to faf with blub mode. This meant I had to compromise and increase my ISO slightly to 250 and use 30secs.

As I was using 30sec shutter speed I had to use a tripod.

I used 24mm to give the widest zoom.

I used autofocus at the start to focus the foreground then switched to manual focus so that when moving the camera to new positions the focus didn't change. Also the auto focus would have not worked on the black sky.

I hope that helps!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thank!

Was real tough, the ring was far bigger than it seamed to the naked eye.

Wish I still had my fish eye!

Stunning shot. Is that from the Toll Bridge in Shoreham-by-Sea?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Also the auto focus would have not worked on the black sky.
What do you mean? You wouldn't have focused on the sky, you'd have focused on your subject.

sebtucknott

Aug 22, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Stunning shot. Is that from the Toll Bridge in Shoreham-by-Sea?

Yes it was. Was the closest area with less street lights and a more interesting foreground.

What do you mean? You wouldn't have focused on the sky, you'd have focused on your subject.

As I had to take 6 shots to make up the overall shot there were a few photos that only had the sky and a small part of the ring. The would have made it difficult to get an auto focus. I also prefer to switch to manual focus when stitching shots so that the focus remains constant for each photo.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Yes it was. Was the closest area with less street lights and a more interesting foreground.

As I had to take 6 shots to make up the overall shot there were a few photos that only had the sky and a small part of the ring. The would have made it difficult to get an auto focus. I also prefer to switch to manual focus when stitching shots so that the focus remains constant for each photo.

Unfortunately I did not look up and notice the moon last night when I was out! I have an 8mm fish-eye as well!

Was the moon hazy to the eye, like in your photo? Just wondering if you could have got more detail from it. Auto-focus doesn't normally work on the moon. You need to manual focus using the LCD on your camera zoomed in 10x. This one I took back in October, ISO200, FL 200mm, SS1/200 & F11.
Moon-08102014-websize.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here