Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Figure of 500 was taken from the metro , no idea if their estimate was close though .

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/21/clash...protesters-as-day-of-rage-turns-ugly-6725531/

With John mcdonnell calling for 1 million to take to the streets on July 1st to force the conservatives out of number 10 the potential for serious disorder must shirley be taken seriously .

Should be ruled an illegal rally if he is inciting them to 'force the Tories from power', isn't that what an election is for? You know, the one that JC lost.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The right to assembly and association is the key feature of contemporary democracy, yet you seem to dismiss it. Does this mean that you don't like democracy? Does this mean that you don't want the people involved in democracy, and set the agenda as to when they decide to involve themselves?

Sorry but I just don't get how a call for the general public to take to the streets to oust the party that gained the most seats in an election and replace them with a party that had the 2nd highest number of seats is Democratic .

Would you prefer that the top 2 parties nominated 100 of their hardest supporters to an East european type field fight where the winner gets to form the government ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Sorry but I just don't get how a call for the general public to take to the streets to oust the party that gained the most seats in an election and replace them with a party that had the 2nd highest number of seats is Democratic .

Would you prefer that the top 2 parties nominated 100 of their hardest supporters to an East european type field fight where the winner gets to form the government ?

Protests and rallies are part of democracy. We've had anti-war marches, countryside rallies, anti-nuclear marches, leave the EU flotillas, anti-austerity protests, I agree with some causes and not others, but its all fine :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
More to the point, has someone shoved a duracell bunny up Jeremy Corbyn's arse? He was pathetic at PMQ's right up to the election, and suddenly he's commanding, dominant, witty and cutting at the ballot box. Was it all a big ambush to get May to call an election?

Labour 6 points ahead in the latest poll, wonder how many people are regretting their vote?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Violent disorder to overthrow a government would very clearly not be acceptable.

Mass public demonstrations to highlight a lack of support for the weak government and its 'leader', to further weaken its position and so force a further election? No problem with the latter.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely you mean the one where the Tories lost their majority and have descended into a coalition of chaos which they can't even get right

I think he means the one where they lost public support to such an extent they have already had to abandon half of the policies they stood on, in order to cling to a semblance of power.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Surely you mean the one where the Tories lost their majority and have descended into a coalition of chaos which they can't even get right

But STILL have more seats than JC.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry but I just don't get how a call for the general public to take to the streets to oust the party that gained the most seats in an election and replace them with a party that had the 2nd highest number of seats is Democratic

If you don't understand that self-expression and voicing your views is democracy at its very simplist level then you probably never will get it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
But no power to put it's policies in to place, in office but NOT in power

Whereas Jezza and McDonnell are rabble rousing as Labour are neither in office or in power. Communist revolution huh?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is Jeremy Corbyn on drugs?

Yesterday I heard him stating that Theresa May has no mandate. Presumably that means that someone with fewer votes and fewer seats has even less of a mandate.

Maybe he was just highlighting that for anyone who may have missed it. Unlucky Jezza. Better luck next time.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Citizen_smith.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The right to assembly and association is the key feature of contemporary democracy, yet you seem to dismiss it. Does this mean that you don't like democracy?

if McDonnell is calling for a protest to force the conservatives out of government, that is not democratic. we had our say earlier in the month, and we can protest, demand change of opinion and direction, but not force change of government. that's revolution, which of course and old Marxist like McDonnell believes is the way forward.

Protests and rallies are part of democracy. We've had anti-war marches, countryside rallies, anti-nuclear marches, leave the EU flotillas, anti-austerity protests, I agree with some causes and not others, but its all fine :)
Protests by certain groups like this are allowed to happen because the police generally support the views.

A March by brexiteers would no doubt be flanked by riot shielded police tapping their batons in chorus whilst looking rather sinister. I remember the countryside alliance March which was made worse by the feds and their smash em up attitude.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Protests by certain groups like this are allowed to happen because the police generally support the views.

A March by brexiteers would no doubt be flanked by riot shielded police tapping their batons in chorus whilst looking rather sinister.

Utter bollocks.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

A March by brexiteers would no doubt be flanked by riot shielded police tapping their batons in chorus whilst looking rather sinister. I remember the countryside alliance March which was made worse by the feds and their smash em up attitude.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

So the police hold the same views as anti government protesters and treat them with respect because of this?

And right wing protesters get treated more harshly by the police as the rozzers are all so left wing and liberal?

Are you completely insane?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here