Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Precisely. As one of the 4.2 million people who have had a gun pointed at our heads for the past year by this bunch of morons in Westminster, I'm pleased that my/our future rights are actually going to be discussed, finally.

I feel for you, I have friends in France who have had a difficult time. What's more, its sad that our kids and grandkids will be denied these freedoms in the future

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Not a good 24 hours for " Taking back control". So in the very first round of talks, the Uk folded over when the free trade talks will happen. Further proof the UK's Brexit team is just not up to it. Now Mark Carney confirms what many of us have been saying all along, that we will all be poorer.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As you know, I was referring to the motley crew of proven liars, backstabbers, expenses thieves and insult-warriors attempting to run the country at the moment. Not to worry, you seem happy with them.

May's little clique blunders on, the world laughs, their disciples fawn.

Yes and I was referring to the motley crew of proven liars, backstabbers, expenses thieves and insult-warriors inside parliament who oppose them.

Happy is putting a bit strong as they have inadvertently weakened our position but they are the only side fully committed to delivering Brexit.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The way the 48% are just ignored is one of the most bizarre things of our time

Just hope there it doesn't up end up in a remain brain drain, its no secret which group provides more of the tax take.

Hard to reconcile the losing sides position in a binary choice. If the result had gone the other way how would the leave sides position been accomadated?

Most remainers accepted the outcome (eventually) and just want to get on with it. The remoaner hardcore obviously have no faith in our ability to prosper outside of the EU (like most countries in the world do) .. they can clutter off asap as far as I'm concerned.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Breaking news: "Brexit still going to make us all poorer" - Bank of England

"Monetary policy cannot prevent the weaker real income growth likely to accompany the transition to new trading arrangements with the EU. But it can influence how this hit to incomes is distributed between job losses and price rises."

"One million people across this country work in financial services. The industry contributes 7% of output and pays taxes that cover almost two thirds of the cost of the NHS. At a time when the UK is running a 5% current account deficit, financial services runs a 1.5% trade surplus with Europe alone. The entire service sector runs a 5% surplus with the world and employs 85% of UK workers.

We could take these realities for granted. And it would be all too easy to give into protectionism. But as we learned in the 1930s, that road leads neither to equity nor prosperity. Raising barriers to trade disproportionately hurts the least well off through higher prices and fewer opportunities."

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
David Davis and EU rule out soft Brexit on day one of negotiations

David Davis and the EU slammed the door on any prospect of a “soft” Brexit as formal negotiations on leaving the EU finally got underway in Brussels.

The Brexit Secretary confirmed Britain would be leaving the customs union and the single market, in a move designed to scupper any parliamentary plots to water down the terms of the UK’s withdrawal from Europe.

His counterpart, Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, also confirmed that Britain would leave the single market and the customs union.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/19/david-davis-eu-rule-soft-brexit-day-one-negotiations/

:thumbsup:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why wasn't Theresa May there yesterday after spending an entire election campaign saying it was either her or Jeremy Corbyn at the talks ? The only person left alone and naked was David Davis as he has already realised he hasn't got a weapon to use whilst the EU have a whole arsenal of them

because Davis is the Minister for Brexit. dont really know where the impression ever came from that May would be flying over to Brussels to take part in negotiations herself. just like the the EU presidents deputise to Barnier, then the leaders sign off at the end.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
because Davis is the Minister for Brexit. dont really know where the impression ever came from that May would be flying over to Brussels to take part in negotiations herself. just like the the EU presidents deputise to Barnier, then the leaders sign off at the end.

I know that as well, but she did say:

"But if you don’t vote at this election and if you don’t vote for me at this election you risk sleepwalking into the very real danger that Jeremy Corbyn will find himself in the hot seat, in the negotiating chair on your behalf."

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Hard to reconcile the losing sides position in a binary choice. If the result had gone the other way how would the leave sides position been accomadated?

Most remainers accepted the outcome (eventually) and just want to get on with it. The remoaner hardcore obviously have no faith in our ability to prosper outside of the EU (like most countries in the world do) .. they can clutter off asap as far as I'm concerned.

I am pretty sure if the result had been a 52% remain result, we would be pushing, as Germany and France are, for reforms of the EU to address the concerns of the 48% that wanted to leave.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am pretty sure if the result had been a 52% remain result, we would be pushing, as Germany and France are, for reforms of the EU to address the concerns of the 48% that wanted to leave.

We have been pushing for reforms for years. See how little we got in Cameron's negotiations with the threat we might leave. To think we would be in a stronger position to get what we wanted after we had voted to stay tieing ourselves to the EU for the foreseeable future is fanciful.

More likely the Brexiteers would have been told to pipe down and accept the result (sound familiar?) and it's now time to stop resisting the ever closer union project and get with the program.

D

Deleted member 22389

[tweet]876840847119192064[/tweet]

Have we got similar in the public (or private) domain??

Yes they are well prepared, but who wouldn't be when they can afford to employ hundreds of people in suits to write lots of bullshit, using the £269M+ we pay them every week. Let's just get a good deal for everyone and put this crap to bed.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Next time James O'Brien at LBC goes off on one of his "name one EU law you didn't like" ranting monologues, could somebody say pssssst Tampon Tax. Or indeed any VAT rate applied in this country.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
We have been pushing for reforms for years. See how little we got in Cameron's negotiations with the threat we might leave. To think we would be in a stronger position to get what we wanted after we had voted to stay tieing ourselves to the EU for the foreseeable future is fanciful.

More likely the Brexiteers would have been told to pipe down and accept the result (sound familiar?) and it's now time to stop resisting the ever closer union project and get with the program.

... to make us poorer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Most previous attempts at improving the situation have been asking the EU for a special deal for Britain, quite rightly, they had come to the end of special dispensations for the UK. What we should have been doing and could be doing now, is pushing for changes that everyone can sign up to.

D

Deleted member 22389

Next time James O'Brien at LBC goes off on one of his "name one EU law you didn't like" ranting monologues, could somebody say pssssst Tampon Tax. Or indeed any VAT rate applied in this country.

That bloke does my head in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here