Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not sure what your point is. The rate of inflation is an average. This is all I said. Further more it's a weighted average, and an estimate.

Why when the inflation figures are posted by the ONS would you think they include estimates, why and how could anyone estimate a current price, estimates surely are to forecast future rates ......

It is an average and one seemingly broadly agreed as relevant to each individual household, that was the point perhaps moreso to [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] on his claim price increases are CURRENTLY massive, when actually the evidence simply doesnt back that claim up.

Jan 30, 2008
I disagree. The last Greek bail-out took funds from ring-fenced sources that were completely outside the scope and jurisdiction of the Eurozone and the result was that UK money was included. There will almost certainly be another bail-out on the horizon for Greece and quite possibly Italy, Portugal and Spain and if so then more UK money will be involved. The Euro is failing and will ultimately collapse and the further we are from that, the better.
it's a bit like being on the Titanic enjoying the ride before it sunk for some on here
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why when the inflation figures are posted by the ONS would you think they include estimates, why and how could anyone estimate a current price, estimates surely are to forecast future rates ......

It is an average and one seemingly broadly agreed as relevant to each individual household, that was the point perhaps moreso to [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION] on his claim price increases are CURRENTLY massive, when actually the evidence simply doesnt back that claim up.

My previous post explains why it's an estimate. Ask yourself what the inflation figure is. It's the increase in the price of goods. They don't, and cannot, average the price of every single item sold in the UK. So, they take a samples. They sample and survey. It's all in my post and in the link.

I don't have an agenda, I'm just pointing out that inflation is an estimate of the increase in prices. It's a pretty good estimate of a typical household built on years of historical data and updated to reflect current household spending trends - craft beer was recently added. But it concentrates on typical household purchases.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Cost prices ARE rising massively whether you like it or not, and given time these will impact upon retail prices. Wake up!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

At least come back with a little bit of optimism to offset my claim that you prefer to wallow in economic pessimism, look we are going around in circles here, my point remains that inflation is currently at 1.6% so it seems silly to tell me that actually there are already massive price increases when actually there just aren't.

Perhaps there will be, but I suspect not whilst you remain fully convinced there will be, so we shall have to wait and see and revisit this sometime in the future.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
My previous post explains why it's an estimate. Ask yourself what the inflation figure is. It's the increase in the price of goods. They don't, and cannot, average the price of every single item sold in the UK. So, they take a samples. They sample and survey. It's all in my post and in the link.

I don't have an agenda, I'm just pointing out that inflation is an estimate of the increase in prices. It's a pretty good estimate of a typical household built on years of historical data and updated to reflect current household spending trends - craft beer was recently added. But it concentrates on typical household purchases.

I have quickly read your link, I have to pop out so will take a further look perhaps later, but at first glance I still cannot see estimates, I see a collating of information and actual average prices then a calculation based on those, but I do not see the word estimate in your link, but if its there I am sure you will tell me, I am off out have a good weekend .....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At least come back with a little bit of optimism to offset my claim that you prefer to wallow in economic pessimism, look we are going around in circles here, my point remains that inflation is currently at 1.6% so it seems silly to tell me that actually there are already massive price increases when actually there just aren't.

Perhaps there will be, but I suspect not whilst you remain fully convinced there will be, so we shall have to wait and see and revisit this sometime in the future.

OK, we agree that we are going round in circles, but only because of your refusal to concede that cost prices ARE rising. I see the factual evidence everyday, I don't dream it, I see the invoices on my desk, please at least concede that the pound losing value increases the cost prices? This will then translate into retail price rises in due course.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
OK, we agree that we are going round in circles, but only because of your refusal to concede that cost prices ARE rising. I see the factual evidence everyday, I don't dream it, I see the invoices on my desk, please at least concede that the pound losing value increases the cost prices? This will then translate into retail price rises in due course.

We really must stop this for a moment, but as you would expect I will at least try to have the last word, what I will concede that prices have risen, I suspect that either through a weaker pound or through greater demand or a bit of both prices may well rise further.

You nor I can possibly know the figure where this goes from preferable to a hindrance, lets revisit this sometime later, god willing ;) !!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Cost prices ARE rising massively whether you like it or not, and given time these will impact upon retail prices. Wake up!

You keep on shouting about this Mr. 15%,but how about some proof.The only thing rising massively in Birmingham isn't cost prices!:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Sounds like the Germans are giving up the pretense it will be an EU/GB negotiation-about time. SK.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Here you go

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_price_index

A consumer price index (CPI) measures changes in the price level of market basket of consumer goods and services purchased by households. The CPI is a statistical estimate constructed using the prices of a sample of representative items whose prices are collected periodically.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Just look at Holiday costings, most tour operators that supply USA product have seen prices rise, I imagine this will move to European destinations

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sounds like the Germans are giving up the pretense it will be an EU/GB negotiation-about time.View attachment 81317

I don't understand what you're saying. Schaeuble says that the Brexit negotiations should try to contain any damage to the UK and the EU and adds that the German government will try to minimise the risk and damage for both parties.

'Both of us' clearly refers to the EU and the UK. What's your point?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
i don't understand what you're saying. Schaeuble says that the brexit negotiations should try to contain any damage to the uk and the eu and adds that the german government will try to minimise the risk and damage for both parties.

'both of us' clearly refers to the eu and the uk. What's your point?

you should have gone to specsavers.then you might have seen he talks about negotiations between us and the german government.Do you need a very large font for future posts,or have you booked an appointment?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here