Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What a fxxkin up Syria is......

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Totally agree, bombing and shelling civilian populated areas in the vain hope you wipe out some opposition fighters is disgusting. Seriously will there be anything left in Syria when the conflict finally stops. A religiously tolerant and diverse society, well-educated people with a long history and culture will be starting from scratch, with so much bitterness and hatred amongst the various factions, sects and religions, you can't imagine how they can ever live in peace again. it's easy to blame the west, but if Assad at the beginning had showed a modicum of acceptance that reform was coming, instead of setting snipers to shoot peaceful protesters, this all could have been different.

Not sure about the "long history and culture " bit.

What we are dealing with with both Syria and Iraq is unrealistic borders drawn on maps after WW1, the same problem as in many other parts of the world by the then colonial powers. abetted by a USA which was still young and naieve in political terms.

Hence the Kurds which were and are a genuine ethnic group were not given their own state, one which would have straddled Turkey, Syria Iraq and Western Iran. The French wanted to keep their colonial influence in Syria and Lebanon, the Brits theirs in Jordan and Iraq. We even "parachuted" King Feisal into Iraq when he was Jordanian but there wasn't room for him there with the Hashemites. The Iraqis despised him and assassinated his son and successor in 1958.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Not sure how you came to that conclusion? Also there are plenty of people in Dorset who fall into the category you mentioned so not sure of the relevance of that apart from me living there.
I come to that conclusion because you seem very keen that we accept refugees yet you know full well there will be a tiny amount if indeed ANY that end up where you live.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I come to that conclusion because you seem very keen that we accept refugees yet you know full well there will be a tiny amount if indeed ANY that end up where you live.

I didn't say I was keen to accept refugees. I said the onus shouldn't be on the neighbouring country to deal with the problem and that the international community should find a solution

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Because he has an oil deal with them, and he's always against anything the US are doing.

Poor excuse when we understand that the Iraq war was based on lies, and there are serious quesions about Libya.

Because he supports a regime that is slaughtering their own citizens!

FSA Terrorists Sing Praise Song for Osama bin Laden & Celebrate 9/11

https://youtu.be/5VqaxqMPIXE

And what about annexing Crimea?

Russians live there.

It appears we see things very differently :)

Indeed we do :)

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Really seems to be a hiding for nothing for all involved. I do have humanity and realise why many thousands of people have fled, I just wish that most would claim asylum in the FIRST safe country they arrive in.

Putin seems to be an absolute arse, Assad should be charged with war crimes, strangely the Americans seem to come out with the least criticism right now although they have admitted some mistakes.

Horrible for the innocents caught up in this, very sad all round.

Feeling safe is an emotional response and often subjective. For example would a kurd refugee regard Turkey as a safe haven ?
Unless there is a resolution and people feel safe to return, who would want to spend years/decades living in a refugee camp, especially when this is within a country that can barely afford to support it's own people let alone millions of incomers.
Which leads me on to the really depressing bit. The other half of the nearest safe country is the old adage, charity begins at home and we should look after our own first.

http://www.rescue-uk.org/ is a good place to donate money to support Syrian refugee camps. Some times small acts of kindness can make all the difference.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
[MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]

If the Western media is truly concerned about the children affected by war, where was the outrage in July, when Harakat al-Nour al-Zenki, a U.S.-backed terrorist group, beheaded a 12-year-old Palestinian boy named Abdullah Issa?

Zenki-beheaders-with-Ambulance-boy-photographer-001.jpg

Mahmoud Raslan (in blue; bottom left) taking a selfie with two of the men who tortured Abdullah Issa. Photo: Mahmoud Raslan (in blue; bottom left) taking a selfie with two of the men who tortured Abdullah Issa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUyJV6YaSWY

Journalist Eva Bartlett: "I'm Back From Syria. The Media Is Lying To You!"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Why [MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I didn't say I was keen to accept refugees. I said the onus shouldn't be on the neighbouring country to deal with the problem and that the international community should find a solution
Yes the solution is to keep every Syrian in Syria and for the syrian army and allied forces to eradicate Isis although in Syria like many in the Middle East you have to many groups who don't want to live together...These parts of the world are best left alone and Russia and the USA should pull out and leave them to it end of.

Stop trying to play god with countries far different from ourselves:glare:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Poor excuse when we understand that the Iraq war was based on lies
It's not a poor excuse at all, it's the real reason. Russia wasn't against a war with Iraq because it doubted the accuracy of the reports regarding WMDs, it was against conflict with Iraq because Russia had good economic deals with the middle east.

and there are serious quesions about Libya.
I'm not sure what that has to do with Putin.

FSA Terrorists Sing Praise Song for Osama bin Laden & Celebrate 9/11
So? That doesn't mean killing civilians is right.

Russians live there.
So what? British people live in many countries, that doesn't me we can take them over with an army. Not that Putin admitted to doing so, he claims his soldiers were rebels, and nothing to do with him.

Indeed we do :)
I'm calling the cops.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So? That doesn't mean killing civilians is right.

So what? British people live in many countries, that doesn't me we can take them over with an army. Not that Putin admitted to doing so, he claims his soldiers were rebels, and nothing to do with him.

I'm calling the cops.

Deliberately killing civilians is wrong but airstriking ISIS, Al Nusra and the other 70 odd groups with a wide ranging spectrum of extremist to so called moderate ones, and accidently killing civilians, is not deliberatey killing them. The US and UK have been openly killing innocent civilians for the last 15 years. Drone strikes in Afghanistan often kill the wrong people.

Northern Ireland, Falklands ??? :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
She works for RT - not a good start. She refers to Israel as 'so called Israel'. Righto, this is going to be an unbiased report then.

It is still good to hear both sides. As we know Assad was accused of using chemical weapons and it turned out to be extremists groups who were using them. Obama was considering bombing Assad directly because of that, and Cameron was even more enthusiastic to. It was a dangerous lie because people today still believe it was Assad even though it was proved to be false.

When one of the rebel groups Harakat al-Nour al-Zenki, who the US is supporting, beheaded a 12-year-old Palestinian boy named Abdullah Issa in July you know the rebel groups are not who they claim to be.

The opposition have always made the impossoble demand of "Assad must go" but a rational person would have to agree that whilst there is ISIS, Al Nusra and the wide spectrum of groups there is no way anyone would hand over the military or government to anyone.

This has been going on for over 5 years, and in all that time the opposition hasn't even drawn out a proposed new constitution for Syria. We don't know if it will be secular or Shariah. If Assad is going to go the constitution has to be discussed first, and he has got to make sure that the people who support him are protected.

I wouldn't step down before a new constitution was drawn up.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We were talking about Putin though. His political opponents accidentally get murdered. Remember the distraught parent of a crew member of the Kursk, who was injected during a press conference to stop her complaining. I can't believe any right minded person would defend Putin.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We were talking about Putin though. His political opponents accidentally get murdered. Remember the distraught parent of a crew member of the Kursk, who was injected during a press conference to stop her complaining. I can't believe any right minded person would defend Putin.

There is no real evidence that Putin directly instructs the murder of political opponents. We could also throw suspicion over the circumstances on Dr David Kelly’s “suicide” and even stretch it to Robin Cook “accidently falling down a hill”.

How was Putin going to give answers about the Kursk to an emotional woman? Putin didn't sink it on purpose and sedation could be considered the correct decision to calm her down.

"The BBC's Russian affairs analyst Stephen Dalziel says it is common practice in Russia to sedate hysterical people without their consent." ....... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/894597.stm

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes the solution is to keep every Syrian in Syria and for the syrian army and allied forces to eradicate Isis although in Syria like many in the Middle East you have to many groups who don't want to live together...These parts of the world are best left alone and Russia and the USA should pull out and leave them to it end of.

Stop trying to play god with countries far different from ourselves:glare:

but then " the west " gains nothing.......this way our pilots get action , our arms dealers/manufacturers clean up no doubt with a nice kick back to govts. and at the end of it you have a former great country on it's knees , oh yeh and loads of oil......massive civil contracts to re build....guess who'll be first in the queue...???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There is no real evidence that Putin directly instructs the murder of political opponents.
Well of course there isn't, anyone with evidence would have an accident.

How was Putin going to give answers about the Kursk to an emotional woman? Putin didn't sink it on purpose and sedation could be considered the correct decision to calm her down.
Are you taking the piss?

It could be considered that murdering all opposition provides the most stable government for the good of the people. Considered by fascists.

Of course he didn't sink it, but they delayed allowing rescue teams to give the crew a chance of survival. She wasn't hurting anyone or threatening to do so. She wasn't a danger to herself or anyone else, she just wanted answers as to why the authorities weren't doing anything. The notion that it's the correct decision to drug a parent to stop them raising concerns about their child is laughable.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Football fans around the world can do there bit by saying they would support a ban by not going to the World Cup in Russia if they carry on killing innocent civilians in Syria do we really care. Sport could be a better weapon than bombs and bullets.
The world is getting more dangerous.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its not that many years ago that the USA was invited to assist a South Asian government, and committed unbelievable atrocities on the civilian population. Civil wars are generally the worst sort of wars, and civilians always suffer the most. Its a horrible situation. Again. Hopefullly, they can come up with a plan to move the civilians out of Aleppo, and let the protaganists do what they want to each other. The 'rebels', who are mixed in with some people who are also fighting us in the west are using the people as much as the Syrian govt is using them.
As for Putin, I think we would be a less safe world with a weak Russian president. That country needs a hard man as its leader.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here