Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iñigo Calderón Appreciation Evening

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Dreadful timing, I had this date arranged for the inaugural "An audience with BensGrandad" evening - I've even booked the venue (Haywards Heath spoons) :mad:

Is this going to happen for every poster? Did it happen for Yorkie who gave longer service?
I just think it sets a precedent and becomes expected. This is not a knock or slight on BG but is relevant to all posters. Ok for those that like to be in the forefront of this kind of adulation but count me out. If it upsets some so be it but it is my opinion.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Should also add- in response to the complete missing of the point by BG here- that Calderon is that rare (unique??) example of a current footballer who's actually appeared on the Roar, unpaid and in his own time obviously, so why on earth shouldn't the Roar guys celebrate him?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
At every club there are just the occasional players that come along who just endear themselves to fans

It could be footballing ability

It could be their endeavor

it could be their conduct in the media

It could be their work with local charities or children

For whatever reason Calderon seems to fit the criteria at Brighton. Like BG I am not a fan of benefit matches or special evenings such as this because the players are well remunerated for their services.

However it seems in this instance that many people do want to show their appreciation to Calderon and if that is the case then it has to be a good thing. The player gets an evening that he will probably never forget and the fans who love him get the same in return.

So to BG - Your opinion is a very valid opinion because you can't heap such praise on everyone ; however, by the same token, you should allow the people who want to heap such praise on Calderon their moment to give something back something special to a player who has obviously given them a lot of pleasure over the years.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Does 'every player' truly give 100% for the Albion cause, however sporadically they are playing?

Does 'every player' give up hours of their time on a very regular basis, to assist with the club's community programmes?

Does every player go knocking on the charity's door asking what they can help with next, rather than just fulfilling contractual obligations?

Is 'every player' a qualified teacher / sports psychologist who in their own time, delivers lectures to community groups and back-to-work schemes?

Does 'every player' get involved with the National Citizenship Scheme for young people?

Does 'every player' pay very regular visits to the Chestnut Tree House children's hospice?

Does 'every player' run a sponsored triathlon in their summer break to raise money for charity?

Because, if they do, then yes, they truly DO deserve such 'adulation'.

This absolutely batters the nail on the head.

I have no idea how [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] can look at the above list and conclude that Calde is not deserving of such an evening.

I've had a meal with Calde ... as a representative of NSC at the shirt sponsors' event, shortly after he arrived at the Club. My main recollection is that Sebastien Carole spent much of the meal trying to wind up Calde on the grounds that he would only eat food that was smothered in olive oil and garlic. Carole's message was that, if he's going to fit in to English life, he's going to have to learn to eat meat pies.

I'm glad to see that he obviously paid no attention to the Frenchman, and the scran at this do is going to be Basque themed. Anyway ... what do the French know about cuisine?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
.NooBHA
Like BG I am not a fan of benefit matches or special evenings such as this because the players are well remunerated for their services.

However it seems in this instance that many people do want to show their appreciation to Calderon and if that is the c
So to BG - Your opinion is a very valid opinion because you can't heap such praise on everyone ; however, by the same token, you should allow the people who want to heap such praise on Calderon their moment to give something back something special to a player who has obviously given them a lot of pleasure over the years.

I accept what you are saying and if people wish to attend that is their choice and by all means go but as stated not my choice. but as in everything each to their own.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Equally relevant, how embarrassed is Ben?

I don't know whether to envisage a little schoolboy muttering that it must be another Ben's Grandad, or a grown man with head in hands........:shrug:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
.NooBHA

I accept what you are saying and if people wish to attend that is their choice and by all means go but as stated not my choice. but as in everything each to their own.

Fair enough BG, at least you are not labouring the point by repeating it ad nauseum.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You should have held it on a flotilla the middle of the marina...

...Calde could have walked to the venue.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Is this going to happen for every poster? Did it happen for Yorkie who gave longer service?
I just think it sets a precedent and becomes expected. This is not a knock or slight on BG but is relevant to all posters. Ok for those that like to be in the forefront of this kind of adulation but count me out. If it upsets some so be it but it is my opinion.

What's your point?
Are you one of BG's sons:moo:
Just my opinion:)

Oh and you should post more:p

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Does 'every player' truly give 100% for the Albion cause, however sporadically they are playing?

Does 'every player' give up hours of their time on a very regular basis, to assist with the club's community programmes?

Does every player go knocking on the charity's door asking what they can help with next, rather than just fulfilling contractual obligations?

Is 'every player' a qualified teacher / sports psychologist who in their own time, delivers lectures to community groups and back-to-work schemes?

Does 'every player' get involved with the National Citizenship Scheme for young people?

Does 'every player' pay very regular visits to the Chestnut Tree House children's hospice?

Does 'every player' run a sponsored triathlon in their summer break to raise money for charity?

Bloody hell, makes me almost want to buy a ticket.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bloody hell, makes me almost want to buy a ticket.

He's probably your Julian Speroni in terms of status. All of that is true - an absolute Gentlemen and the most important team member we've had in the squad for years - mainly nothing to do with on the pitch (although he's been a great player too).

He also went to the hospital to visit a player who broke his leg in a challenge with him (that was a freak accident) the same night.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
He's probably your Julian Speroni in terms of status. All of that is true - an absolute Gentlemen and the most important team member we've had in the squad for years - mainly nothing to do with on the pitch (although he's been a great player too).

He also went to the hospital to visit a player who broke his leg in a challenge with him (that was a freak accident) the same night.

He was his porter for the night, we're told.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta

alright... but apart from his involvement in community work and charity work and the national citizenship scheme and also his regular hospice visits - what has he ever done for us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here