Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vulcan and Shoreham Air Show

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Saw the Vulcan at the Swansea Airshow last month and we were told that was the last ever appearance of it!!!!

Must say the noise it made caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end. A great piece of British engineering.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm going to be genuinely upset when it flies away from Shoreham for the last time, I remember watching a Vulcan for the first time at the Woodford Air Shows in the 1960's....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Saw the Vulcan at the Swansea Airshow last month and we were told that was the last ever appearance of it!!!!

Must say the noise it made caused the hair on the back of my neck to stand on end. A great piece of British engineering.

What is becoming apparent is that the 'last time ever' is very specific to the venue. This Vulcan will be appearing at other shows after Shoreham at least up until the back end of September.

What seems not to be in doubt is that this is the last season of flying for this plane. Technical support from Rolls Royce and other entirely necessary partners is being withdrawn meaning that the Vulcan can no longer meet the rules and regulations required to continue flying. Pressure should be applied to RR and others to release the specifications and technical data to other bodies willing to support this piece of British aviation history, or we just end up with another Concorde, the best the world has ever built but consigned to the memories. Just shameful.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I think that might be the plane that dropped atom bombs on his head on Christmas Island. Hope he doesn't see it flying over, he'll probably grab the sun glasses and white handkerchief. (Suggested adequate protection by the MOD back in the day - of course the scientists and generals were on another island lol)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Vulcan is at Bournemouth on Sunday at 16:36 so before or after that.

Typhoon is at Bournemouth on Sat 16:51 and Sun 16:45.

Sounds like they both could be on later in the afternoon to keep the crowds from leaving as somebody else said.

5.00pm has always been the key time @ Shoreham

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Typhoon and Vulcan are show stoppers, any airshow in UK will try get them later on as said in previous posts....who is going to stay to watch the nice tiger moth biplanes

southport airshow last year, Vulcan closed the show

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
What is becoming apparent is that the 'last time ever' is very specific to the venue. This Vulcan will be appearing at other shows after Shoreham at least up until the back end of September.

What seems not to be in doubt is that this is the last season of flying for this plane. Technical support from Rolls Royce and other entirely necessary partners is being withdrawn meaning that the Vulcan can no longer meet the rules and regulations required to continue flying. Pressure should be applied to RR and others to release the specifications and technical data to other bodies willing to support this piece of British aviation history, or we just end up with another Concorde, the best the world has ever built but consigned to the memories. Just shameful.

I was told that the whole frame has reached the end of its 'life' and is judged to be unsafe unless a complete rebuild is done rendering it not an original specimen so not justifying completing? Anything in that?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I was told that the whole frame has reached the end of its 'life' and is judged to be unsafe unless a complete rebuild is done rendering it not an original specimen so not justifying completing? Anything in that?
No.

[MENTION=7631]wellquickwoody[/MENTION]'s explanation is the correct one.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yep, Saturdays commentary said 'Money not the issue' it's <somekind of> mandatory tech support from BAe, RR and Marshall Ae.

See - http://www.vulcantothesky.org/history/post-flight/end-of-flight-2.html

It's pretty vague or i'm a bit of a thicky.. Can someone explain how can WW2 planes keep going but not this one ? :dunce:

I would imagine it is economies of scale, for example there are now dozens of airworthy Spitfires (and more on their way) so making new bits & pieces for them is not a problem.

Likewise there are lots of flying WWII Warbirds that use Rolls Royce Merlin Engines e.g. Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs etc. so engine servicing & rebuilds will be in high demand.

For a one-off like XH558 the expense of remanufacturing would be astronomical. Still going to be a very sad day when it finally taxis to a halt.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
image.jpg

Mr Spock is coming to Shoreham?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Yep, Saturdays commentary said 'Money not the issue' it's <somekind of> mandatory tech support from BAe, RR and Marshall Ae.

See - http://www.vulcantothesky.org/history/post-flight/end-of-flight-2.html

It's pretty vague or i'm a bit of a thicky.. Can someone explain how can WW2 planes keep going but not this one ? :dunce:

Rolls Royce, Marshalls and BAe are the Design Authorities for the platform ( Vulcan)
RR the power Plants
Marshalls Airframe
BAE the rest.

The DA's have all decided that it is now to risky to keep flying, no end of money will keep her airborne.
All Aircraft military and civil have a DA to authorise and out of the ordinary Modifications or repairs and also to say if the aircraft is fit to fly.( or not)
During my 20 on Tristars in the RAF, Marshalls were the DA for the aircraft ( under licence from Lockheed ) and they were a complete pain.

I can understand from an engineering point of view why 558 is being put to bed, but I would like to see her carry on but its nigh on impossible now.

Fairford last month

P7198879.JPG
P7198840.JPG

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I would imagine it is economies of scale, for example there are now dozens of airworthy Spitfires (and more on their way) so making new bits & pieces for them is not a problem.

Likewise there are lots of flying WWII Warbirds that use Rolls Royce Merlin Engines e.g. Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs etc. so engine servicing & rebuilds will be in high demand.

For a one-off like XH558 the expense of remanufacturing would be astronomical. Still going to be a very sad day when it finally taxis to a halt.

Basically correct, The lancaster and Sptfires etc are a lot simpler aircraft to maintain.
They are also on the military register (RAF) and so fly under different rules (MAA military compared to CAA civil) XH558 is actually G-VLCN on the civil register.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill

Rolls Royce, Marshalls and BAe are the Design Authorities for the platform ( Vulcan)
RR the power Plants
Marshalls Airframe
BAE the rest.

The DA's have all decided that it is now to risky to keep flying, no end of money will keep her airborne.
All Aircraft military and civil have a DA to authorise and out of the ordinary Modifications or repairs and also to say if the aircraft is fit to fly.( or not)
During my 20 on Tristars in the RAF, Marshalls were the DA for the aircraft ( under licence from Lockheed ) and they were a complete pain.

I can understand from an engineering point of view why 558 is being put to bed, but I would like to see her carry on but its nigh on impossible now.

Fairford last month

View attachment 67863
View attachment 67864

Gotcha, cheers.

As a side note, i thought they were going to fly the Vulcan a bit faster during shows to slightly extend the life - Didn't seem to on Saturday did they ?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
So combining with the local residents noise alert, on Sunday we can guess

Typhoon around 2pm
Vulcan a bit before 4pm?

If anyone hears of actual times can they post on here?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was watching Airbourne last week from Seaford Head. Heard the roar of the Vulcan but could not see it. Within 5 seconds it lifted from under the cliff edge and turned on its side just metres in front of us. Magical moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here