Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English Independence

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Because the SNP control the Scottish Assembly while the English Democrats got 0.3% of the vote in England and lost 106 out of 107 deposits in the last General Election.

May 17, 2011
1066 country
Because the SNP control the Scottish Assembly while the English Democrats got 0.3% of the vote in England and lost 106 out of 107 deposits in the last General Election.

Well it does not seem fair that the Jocks get a vote on it & the rest of us don't.

larus

Just wondered why The Jocks get to vote for it & we do not?
Are we really better off together? :shrug:

It will change now. This result will lead to major changes over time in that the legislation which will be controlled by the Scottish Parliament will end up being devolved to Wales, NI and either a new English Parliament or days when only English MP's can vote. I notice how Labour party are squealing over this, but there's no moral stance which you can take to have people (Scottich MP's) voting on things which have no impact to them at all.

Also, we'll end up with differing tax regimes as well, and just central taxation for UK items (Defence, EU, etc). Hopefully, we'll end up with more of a federal system with better local accountability/more engagement in politics. I also would like the voting system change to some form of PR, as the FPTP is outdated and can result in huge majorities for only relative small majorities.

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014

They are very different parties...

May 17, 2011
1066 country
It will change now. This result will lead to major changes over time in that the legislation which will be controlled by the Scottish Parliament will end up being devolved to Wales, NI and either a new English Parliament or days when only English MP's can vote. I notice how Labour party are squealing over this, but there's no moral stance which you can take to have people (Scottich MP's) voting on things which have no impact to them at all.

Also, we'll end up with differing tax regimes as well, and just central taxation for UK items (Defence, EU, etc). Hopefully, we'll end up with more of a federal system with better local accountability/more engagement in politics. I also would like the voting system change to some form of PR, as the FPTP is outdated and can result in huge majorities for only relative small majorities.

Intellegent thinking on NSC! What next? Ulloa scoring two against Man Utd.

larus

Another point is that if there is a separate English parliament with devolved tax raising powers, then this will impact the Barnett formula, as the pot of money which is available for redistribution will be shrunk (as there will be English tax and not UK tax), so the impact of the formula is mitigated to a degree. This is a good outcome for England in the long-run, and we'll see how the Scottish get on with more independence in the longer term with less subsidy from the 'selfish' English.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
If England is to get what Scotland has, then we need our own assembly.

If just removing the non English from Westminster once a week is enough to call it an English parliament, why do the others need an assembly? Why not just remove the non Scot/Welsh/irish once a week so they can vote on their own issues?

The fact is, voters will elect differently for an assembly than for Westminster. The SNP make up 50% of the Scottish assembly but only 10% of Westminsters Scottish members.

Who can predict what the political make up of an English assembly will be, but it's a reasonable guess that it will NOT be the same as the English parliamentary make up.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Wen I used to go to union conferences in the early 1990s, we would have a couple of days of "Full Conference" for discussing/deciding matters pertinent to the whole union and a couple of days of discipline and company specific conferences.
I think we should have a parliament that has, for example Monday/Tuesday doing UK stuff and Wednesday/Thursday doing devolved stuff.
I'd also like to see a devolved region of the South East (excluding London) as I'm fed up with being lumped in with the capital.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Independent from whome?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Problem is people have suggested a lot of levels of government so we could end up with:

Local council
County council
Regional assembly
English assembly
UK Parliament
EU Parliament

In the current climate that would be a lot of politicians unless some do two jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here