Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calvert - Lewin goes down for another 'pushing' penalty

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He was pushed off the ball had he not gone down it probably wouldnt have been given but then you have to question our referees for that. It was a foul stopping him playing the ball I dont know why he didnt just go shoulder to shoulder with him instead of the push.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Looks to me like the Jamie Vardy school of winning penalties. Get marginally in front of the opposition defender and throw yourself into their path so they have nowhere to go but into the back of you. Clever play and can be a very hard one to spot at full speed. Not a penalty for me.

I would agree with you had the defender not also added a healthy push as well. Had he gone down like that shoulder to shoulder then I agree but he didnt.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
penalty for me all day long terrible defending. I don't see any second movement or deviation from his path that suggests a dive.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In the link above it looks like a dive but that's because you can't see Lovren's left arm. From the referee's angle and from the main TV camera angle it looked a penalty all day long. A completely unnecessary push by Lovren, but a push nevertheless.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In the link above it looks like a dive but that's because you can't see Lovren's left arm. From the referee's angle and from the main TV camera angle it looked a penalty all day long. A completely unnecessary push by Lovren, but a push nevertheless.

Exactly. Klopp would have been to have directed his anger at his own defenders naivety.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Great ball from Rooney, full back under extreme pressure, push on Calvert - Lewin he goes down, penalty.:shrug:

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
are we seriously saying that the slight arm on the back can send a 6ft tall extremely fit athlete plummiting to the ground? I feel for him if thats the case since walking down the high street or a night out clubbing must be a nightmare, he must spend all his time on the floor. and dont get me started on the there was contact he was entitled to go down crap we hear but then i grew up watching the game in a different period and im not sure all the changes are for the better.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
are we seriously saying that the slight arm on the back can send a 6ft tall extremely fit athlete plummiting to the ground?

Premier League football for some time now, most players can sell contact as well as a WWE wrestler. Lower league football is often more enjoyable as it hasn't gone this way as much.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What amused me most was Big Sam stating that as the player was goal side he had no reason to go down....ye right Sam.....its a soft one and if against us i'd be annoyed if for us..i'd be arguing that it was a penalty 60/40

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Thats not a penalty at all is it. Interestingly when Klopp asked journalists at the press conference if they thought it was a penalty 80-90% put their hands up, were they just doing it to wind Klopp up?

If that was the other way round, the blue was the defender and the red the attacker, and the other one went down, you'd be screaming for a penalty as the blue totally blocks him off

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I didn't think it was a penalty - it was very well 'bought' by the striker. The defender's hand contacted the striker's back but only because he got in front of him and decelerated. Once his back contacted the hand he then threw himself forward onto the turf.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
premier league penalty all over. Players get in the box and are looking for it all the time. In fact , this league all over players are looking for free kicks constantly. You can barely tackle in this league and its pretty tiresome to be honest. Whatever the debate , the big clubs do get more but that's probably as they have the more expensive cheats who can fool refs better.

The hypocrisy of the fans and managers when decisions go against them is cringe worthy.

Its got to a stage that every one is appealing everything , players are trying to cheat at everything and fans are blinkered in only seeing what happens to their team.

Real negative of this greedy league and whilst it happens outside this divison its not the main thing every player and fan is trying to do.

Only way to beat it is buy better cheats and join in.

Very sad state of affairs !!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If that's against us, then it's a dive.

If it's for us, it's a penalty all day long.

As we're independent on this one, bias is removed and it's a bit more split.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, that ****ing cheating.

Calvert-Lewin is a cheat.

This.

Funny how the last 20 years of cheating, has indoctrinated so many fans into turning a blind eye to cheating.

Costly incidents to come later this season against naive Albion players, will get a rather different response on nsc. Then it will be all out attack on the ref and cheating opponent.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Yeah, that ****ing cheating.

Calvert-Lewin is a cheat.

I was not quite sure of his antics all the game against Bruno were designed to get the ball or get a foul? I think I'm inclined to the latter.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Never a penalty in a million years for me but glad it was given. BFS trying not to smirk as he's asked what he thinks and Jurgen getting all uppity with the Sky bloke were excellent stuff. Not so arrogant and first pumpey now are you?

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
In this day and age, that’s a penalty. Mindless and stupid from Lovren to even give the referee a decision to make. He is a major liability for Liverpool, he’s lucky Klopp keeps giving him chance after chance...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here