Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] First Ashes Test - England v Australia - Cardiff

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
GET IN !!!!

From 43/3 before lunch on day 1 to winning by 169 runs in 4 days :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

W10.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That is a crushing victory and a huge marker for the rest of the series.

Magnificent.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant effort from England, Australia looked an old and creaking side in this match. Roll on Lord's and the 2nd Test.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just need 2 months of rain now :lolol:

Oh, and [MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] - make sure you start the match thread on Thursday :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I managed to avoid any information about what was happening until watching the highlights on all 4 days. Absolutely brilliant, and with Channel 5's coverage, getting rid of Sky Sports doesn't seem to be a problem.

Now, let's back this up

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is a crushing victory and a huge marker for the rest of the series.

Magnificent.

Indeed. A far better result than I anticipated. The Aussie shock bowlers were poor and I feel we really can win this series now.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A word of caution. We've been up in our past two series and drew them both. And a draw here means Australia retain the Ashes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Anything over 250 should be enough.

Did we win then?

I know it's England but I couldn't believe the nervousness about whether or not we'd wrap that one up, on here and with the general public. I managed to lay the Aussies at a ridiculously low price on betfair last night - they were never going to win.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
As a very part time cricket 'fan' I've resisted asking this question so as not to annoy 8ace, but (with advance apologies) here goes nothing:

It's the England & Wales cricket board, the county game features Welsh teams and Welsh players can play for England, but I still can't get my head around the fact that a team called 'England' as opposed to 'England & Wales' plays test matches in The Principality and Welsh cricket fans come out in numbers to support it, or were the crowds for this first Ashes test mostly supporters from England, who'd travelled down? Do Welsh cricket fans really get excited about an Ashes victory for the national side?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
As a very part time cricket 'fan' I've resisted asking this question so as not to annoy 8ace, but (with advance apologies) here goes nothing:

It's the England & Wales cricket board, the county game features Welsh teams and Welsh players can play for England, but I still can't get my head around the fact that a team called 'England' as opposed to 'England & Wales' plays test matches in The Principality and Welsh cricket fans come out in numbers to support it, or were the crowds for this first Ashes test mostly supporters from England, who'd travelled down? Do Welsh cricket fans really get excited about an Ashes victory for the national side?

Yes. Same way that Welsh rugby fans support the British lions.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

90% of those spectating will have been English Cricket Fans who have travelled over the Border.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Yes. Same way that Welsh rugby fans support the British lions.

But the lions crest incorporates the Welsh fleur de lis and the team is called 'British'. The England cricket shirt and crest makes no nod to Wales in any way so how can the lions be a valid comparison?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Just got back from Cardiff and I can say with complete conviction that it was a amazingly sh*tty experience

if you're an Australian! :banana:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But the lions crest incorporates the Welsh fleur de lis and the team is called 'British'. The England cricket shirt and crest makes no nod to Wales in any way so how can the lions be a valid comparison?

I'm sorry my answer to your question wasn't good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here