Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Hey lefties - what do you think of this?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I need to watch it to get the context but it will be difficult to brush off. IF she said it in the way you have said then she needs to be booted and deselected. There can be no party politics in something like this.

However, given her history, i seriously doubt that it was meant as stated?

Her exact words in the preamble to telling the joke:

"I've long been accused of being a humourless feminist and I'll give you two examples I've protested about because they were offensive and hurtful. So this was a Guy's Hospital rag magazine back in the day. And people like Andrew [Neil] say these things are alright..."

She tells the joke and Andrew Neil is understandably very upset with the accusations.

[tweet]926251333073752066[/tweet]

I don't think contextually, she's guilty of what the OP accuses her of but she's shown extremely bad judgement in repeating them. And I say that as a pro-Israeli right-winger.

larus

Her exact words in the preamble to telling the joke:

"I've long been accused of being a humourless feminist and I'll give you two examples I've protested about because they were offensive and hurtful. So this was a Gut's Hospital rag magazine back in the day. And people like Andrew [Neil say these things are alright..."

She tells the joke and Andrew Neil is understandably very upset with the accusations.

[tweet]926251333073752066[/tweet]

I don't think contextually, she's guilty of what the OP accuses her of but she's shown extremely bad judgement in repeating them. And I say that as a pro-Israeli right-winger.

OK, hands up. Yes, I was being a little selective and omitting the context. She did say it as an example of bad taste jokes, but she did accuse Andrew Neil that he would not be offended by such jokes.

But, to say it on national TV shows a huge lack of judgement and the accusation against Andrew Neil are totally unjustified. Imagine how Labour would be attacking the Tories if the roles were revered.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Surely as you've repeated it, you're as culpable - just saying like guv.
Indeed, I've reported myself and will be disappointed if I don't receive a lengthy ban.
What was worse IMO is that she accused Andrew Neil of saying that he would find it acceptable.
Well that depends on whether she had any reason too. She did criticise the joke when it was in a hospital magazine and she was criticised for doing so - was Andrew Neil one of the ones that criticised her, or has he criticised others for complaining about similar jokes in the past? If not, then why would she assume he thinks it's ok?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In my experience of dealing with people on the left and people on the right, one of them has a lot more form for sticking up for abhorrent words and actions of others on "their" side of the political spectrum. And it's not normally "lefties" who do it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As jokes go its pretty lame, I dont have a problem with jokes and dont think offended is a good enough reason for censorship, I'll see if I can rustle up some dank and edgy jewish jokes....

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
She has also added a twitter post, not only repeating that 'joke' in full, but also adding the 2nd example she would have gone on to tell that is in similar taste about a Pakistani.......WTF is wrong with this woman?!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Indeed, I've reported myself and will be disappointed if I don't receive a lengthy ban.
Well that depends on whether she had any reason too. She did criticise the joke when it was in a hospital magazine and she was criticised for doing so - was Andrew Neil one of the ones that criticised her, or has he criticised others for complaining about similar jokes in the past? If not, then why would she assume he thinks it's ok?

Ah, you tinker.

I'm more curious to know what is self-evident about Corbyn's support for Zionism (according to Thornberry) when he flatly refuses to meet with any Jewish groups, speak to any Jewish newspapers and refuses to attend any of the Balfour Declaration commemorations this week. He did take time out to meet the hardline Islamist MEND group though in the same week. I rather suspect that he is not a Zionist and Thornberry is telling porkies.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Hospital magazine?Is the NHS anti-semitic,as well as Labour?:lolol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
In my experience of dealing with people on the left and people on the right, one of them has a lot more form for sticking up for abhorrent words and actions of others on "their" side of the political spectrum. And it's not normally "lefties" who do it.

Then you're deliberately blind to what goes on, just my opinion. I think all parties are a bit myopic in this regard. The SNP for example, are appallingly bad at reining in the excesses of the CyberNats online.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
It's a daft joke anyway, because the mini wasn't introduced until 1959 - 14 years after the end of the war.

It might be a bit daft to share it........

....... but on the other hand, and I'm saying this slightly tongue in cheek, if someone didn't on occasion do things like this, would we lose sight of what bad taste is?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Bizarre thing to say given dimwits on social media will edit it to look like a joke. Andrew Neil must be furious. That was a scandalously poor thing to accuse him of. It proves this week is live I suppose.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Why does everyone these days have to be labeled a 'leftie' or (presumably, but I don't see/hear it so often) a 'rightie'?

:shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why is this addressed at "lefties"? This is exactly why people approach to politics these days is so juvenile.

Trump says something awful and his defenders justify it with "But LOOK what Hillary said...", Dianne Abbott says something stupid and the reaction is "But LOOK what Gove said...". There's no admittance that those on your side should ever look at themselves, its always justified by someone else doing something worse.

Don't we have better standards? People on both sides of the fence should be held accountable for doing stupid/bad things.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here