Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Did I? Nice one. Sorry I didnae spot you, would've said ello

Were you pacing 22? I was unofficially, far less competently pacing 21:30

No worries, I think you came past on lap two down by the train. I would've said hello, but I was blowing a bit, even by then! I was pacing 22 – and the splits are actually pretty accurate, particularly surprising given that the first half a km was ahead of the 21min pacer! I think I've more sedate pacing job on Sunday at Preston Park aread of jumping on the 80 minute train at Bright10 the next day.

I'll be doing the Bright10 if one of the numerous people I know pull up with any sort of injury, otherwise I won't be involved.

My laps of The Level at lunch were something close to catastrophic. I was only able to run an average of 4:10ish per KM, but it wasn't even the full KM! The laps of the level starting at the grooves for the cycle lane at each end closes to St Peters Church is 730 metres. I'm disappointed with the lack of pace but I was feeling very heavy legged from the morning cycle commute onwards really. Movement is a struggle today after saturday's double hard run session and into that wind! Last night's 10 miles probably did me no favours, starring both Snakey Hill and that part of Old Shoreham Road from the viaduct up to Bhasvic.

Oof, yeah, those two hills would probably do it. That's probably why I do my long runs AFTER speed sessions, otherwise, it's just never gonna go to plan for me!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Oof, yeah, those two hills would probably do it. That's probably why I do my long runs AFTER speed sessions, otherwise, it's just never gonna go to plan for me!

In a way though, I think I'll gain a lot out of smashing the pace session on already knackered legs. Tomorrow is a 20 minute cross trainer/exercise bike session and then wednesday is just a pleasant 45 minute steady jog before thursday's hill session.

Saturday is meant to be 3 x 10mins hard with a 3 minute break so it looks like being a slow parkrun time for me!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Got the parkrun pacing bang on this week and got the infamous Lucy a sub-22 time. Knocky well back but [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] took the NSC Hove Park honours, I think. Followed it up yesterday with a pre-Beachy Head 14.3-mile jaunt up hills and over the SDW.

Talking of races who's at Bright10 on Sunday?

I’m in for Sunday, looking forward to it and hopefully conditions are good for a fast time. Would love to go sub 65 but I think I’ll be in and around 66 based on recent form.

10 miles is probably my favourite distance so tempted to give the new Bognor Regis 10 miler a go 3 weeks later

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I’m in for Sunday, looking forward to it and hopefully conditions are good for a fast time. Would love to go sub 65 but I think I’ll be in and around 66 based on recent form.

10 miles is probably my favourite distance so tempted to give the new Bognor Regis 10 miler a go 3 weeks later

Good luck bud. I'm running Sunday.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I had come to the conclusion that it might be a bit tight to do Bright10 and then get to The Amex in time. That’s why I’ve booked the Great South Run the following Sunday instead. But hearing how many people on here are doing it has got me interested again. I take it there are still places? Can you pay on the day?

As for Parkrun, it was a 21:42 for me at Preston Park on Saturday. I’ve done Worthing, Hove Prom, Hove Park and Preston Park in the last four weeks and met my aim of putting a sub-22 time on the board at each of them so I’m tempted to get back to Worthing this week for an overall PB attempt. I’m hoping my new plan of two long midweek runs rather than three mid-distances ones might make me feel a bit fresher by the time Saturday comes.

Looks like I'll be the only NSC runner at your Bevendean Challenge on 21st October, along with that EDF bloke who can't dance. No problem there. I've had 3 weeks good build up so far and the hill running will be be beneficial to my sub 21 Parkrun attempt in early November and also great cardio work for my long awaited Annapurna trek.

A tip for smashing pbs is to not mix attempts around longer races, set a date you train towards, be psyched up with adrenaline flowing on the day, boast on here first and hope for ideal weather. Simple, 4 weeks and sub 21 here I come!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I had come to the conclusion that it might be a bit tight to do Bright10 and then get to The Amex in time. That’s why I’ve booked the Great South Run the following Sunday instead. But hearing how many people on here are doing it has got me interested again. I take it there are still places? Can you pay on the day?

9am start so I am hoping to get to Swan for a pre game beer for midday, with a 1.30pm kick off. A bit tight but should be ok. It will make me run faster and sadly rush off straight after once I have collected my bag with a change of clothes and jump on a bus to Falmer. I have a tooth abscess at the moment, antibiotics day 5 today so am hoping the pain will go and I will be ok to run. Got root canal treatment the day after. More scared of that than planning for 3 marathons in 6 weeks! Eeeeeekkkkkkk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

As for Parkrun, it was a 21:42 for me at Preston Park on Saturday. I’ve done Worthing, Hove Prom, Hove Park and Preston Park in the last four weeks and met my aim of putting a sub-22 time on the board at each of them so I’m tempted to get back to Worthing this week for an overall PB attempt. I’m hoping my new plan of two long midweek runs rather than three mid-distances ones might make me feel a bit fresher by the time Saturday comes.

Not sure you can pay on the day, but I know of a few people who've had refunds, so I know that places are still available.

Looks like I'll be the only NSC runner at your Bevendean Challenge on 21st October, along with that EDF bloke who can't dance. No problem there. I've had 3 weeks good build up so far and the hill running will be be beneficial to my sub 21 Parkrun attempt in early November and also great cardio work for my long awaited Annapurna trek.

A tip for smashing pbs is to not mix attempts around longer races, set a date you train towards, be psyched up with adrenaline flowing on the day, boast on here first and hope for ideal weather. Simple, 4 weeks and sub 21 here I come!

I'm up for the 21st at Bev.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm tempted to race Bevendean this week (14th) to set the standard, and forgo the session I've got planned. I think that 19/20 minutes on a tough course will have the same if not better impact, right?!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
So here's a question from a novice (albeit the oldest novice on the block) on marathon preparation. Advice please - based on your experiences - on that final long run before the marathon:

a) when to do it?

b) how far?

c) what pace?

Really interested to hear what you think/did and how it turned out. My previous experience in two marathons was a 20 mile 'race' (the old, dreadful Worthing 20) run 3 weeks before marathon and at 'fast' (2.50) pace. Not a great success but got me round the marathons chronically undertrained and slow (4.20 ish). Now looking for 4 hours but not confident of delivery.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So here's a question from a novice (albeit the oldest novice on the block) on marathon preparation. Advice please - based on your experiences - on that final long run before the marathon:

a) when to do it?

b) how far?

c) what pace?

Really interested to hear what you think/did and how it turned out. My previous experience in two marathons was a 20 mile 'race' (the old, dreadful Worthing 20) run 3 weeks before marathon and at 'fast' (2.50) pace. Not a great success but got me round the marathons chronically undertrained and slow (4.20 ish). Now looking for 4 hours but not confident of delivery.

20 miles, 3 weeks before 9:45-10 pace fails every time for me. Could throw in some marathon pace miles 8:45-9 every now and again and for the last mile or two.

For me the secret is holding back.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

a) when to do it?

b) how far?

c) what pace?

When I DO/DID stick to a proper marathon training plan:

a) Two or three weeks before the big day. My long run is normally on a Sunday as are the races, so it fits in nicely.
b) First one was three hours (can't remember the distance because it was pre-Garmin), others tend to be between 22-24. Bizarrely, Isle of Wight was probably my best marathon from a technical point of view (kept the pace down, ran all the way to 24 miles), but the last long run for that was a shocker and I had to abandon it at Hove Lagoon, suffering from dehydration!
c) :shrug: Probably about 8:30/9s, which is always my intended race pace.

I've had a mixed success with it – the target is nearly always sub-4 (achieved once), but there are a few 4:08s in there and a 4:15. The less said about the 4:37 at London this year the better!

Good luck GNT!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Last long run 3 weeks before big day and do about 22 Miles
Then just go down to 13 Miles and gradually decrease and just taper down to a little 4 miler a couple of days before Marathon

I ran my runs at about 9.30 ish but found when I done both London and Brighton Marathons I was running quicker and done them in 3.38 and 3.50 respectively and Brighton was bloody hot this year
You legs will have muscles memory so don’t worry and just go with what you feel comfortable with

I’m 59 and it’s worked for me both times
I even done 5 marathons in 5 days at the end of May and done the last day in a time of 4.19

It’s a fact your fitter a month after a marathon than when you actually ran it.

Good luck and believe in yourself and your training
A lot of it is being mentally strong as well [emoji106][emoji106]

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
About 22 (hilly) miles for me on Sunday as a last run before Beachy Head. Not ideal being less than 2 weeks before the race, but just need to try and get some miles into my legs as training has been less than ideal! Not too worried as just looking on Beachy as a nice day out.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Think I'm going to try and follow something like the FIRST plan for Brighton Marathon, as I can only really manage three runs a week, both on a practical and physical basis (I've found I can't run consecutive days without getting injured) - but I can cross-train quite happily with visits to the pool, and getting on the exercise bike.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

a) when to do it?

b) how far?

c) what pace?

Go more for time on your feet, not distance and aim for about 75% of your target marathon time (ie if aiming for 4 hours, do 3), 3 weeks out from the event (drop to 2 hours 2 weeks before and maybe 60-90 mins the week before).

For the longest run, I would do something like running a minute a mile or so slower than your planned marathon pace for the bulk of it, but with a section of say 45-60 mins at planned marathon pace after say 90 mins, then slow down again to finish.

Not sure when your marathon is but build some speed endurance runs into your training too (not every week though). Typical long run, but with a decent chunk at ‘easy’ pace and a further chunk at a faster pace (depends on the length of the run but things like 60 easy, 60 at HM/M pace and 15 min cool down for a 2.15 run for example)

The Worthing 20 (Boring Goring 20) was indeed awful but a good pacing exercise/practice [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Think I'm going to try and follow something like the FIRST plan for Brighton Marathon, as I can only really manage three runs a week, both on a practical and physical basis (I've found I can't run consecutive days without getting injured) - but I can cross-train quite happily with visits to the pool, and getting on the exercise bike.

Fits in nicely with your current training and work and family commitments. Similar to the plan I'll adopt except my speed session will be Parkrun and the 3 runs will be over a complex 8 days to create an extra 14% rest and recovery period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here