Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not if May expects to increase the Tory majority to over 30.

But why take the gamble ? Why not just prevent the accused MPs from re-standing just in case ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
But why take the gamble ? Why not just prevent the accused MPs from re-standing just in case ?

Maybe she thinks it is likely that at least 16 will be charged etc. but doesn't want to suspend them for PR reasons, i.e. it would be obvious that this is part of the reason for calling the election.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Latest Poll from Ipsis Mori (England & Wales) / Panelbase (Scotland) Prediction

Conservative 469
Labour 102
SNP 44
Lib Dem 13
Plaid 3
Green 1
UKIP 0
Northern Ireland 18

Conservative Majority 289

I have absolutely no doubt that the Tories will win by a landslide, but I'd be staggered if it's by nearly 300 seats. The Tories got nowhere near that in 1983 ... and that was in the post-Falklands glow, with an SDP/Lib alliance splitting the vote and against Foot.

If were putting a bet on, I'd go for 160 - 170 majority

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its the second time posted... im not sure its any more true now. if there are prosecutions due, and there certainly were a number of investigations, then they would still be continuing. why havent we heard more on this from Electoral Commission and CPS? as i understood it, the CPS werent taking any further because a) lack of evidence and b) evidence there was pointed to central party infringments not local. and the central party had already copped a fine, or the process for that is ongoing. I recall the Electoral Commision complaining that the fines weren't sufficient to deter infringement, though they may have been referring to previous cases involving Labour.

thats not to say there wont be prosecutions, just that this would be a factor behind the stated reasons of creating a clear mandate to pursue brexit, and less stated factor of rescinding current manifesto commitments, which itself is important to prevent Lords blocking anything not in the current one.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have absolutely no doubt that the Tories will win by a landslide, but I'd be staggered if it's by nearly 300 seats. The Tories got nowhere near that in 1983 ... and that was in the post-Falklands glow, with an SDP/Lib alliance splitting the vote and against Foot.

If were putting a bet on, I'd go for 160 - 170 majority

The SNP were inconsequential in 1983, who have taken 40 seats off of Labour and 20 from the Conservatives, giving a net swing to the Conservatives of 40 in Scotland. Based on that alone, the result might be:
Tories 375
Labour 170
Others 105

But turning to England and Wales now, other than a hard core left, 80% of the nation won't ever vote that way, and millions of working class people in the north, midlands and Wales are strong Brexiteers. Both factors might decimate Labour in the marginal constituencies there.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The blessed Caroline. Best constituency MP Brighton Pavilion has ever had, in my experience. Although remembering non-events like Derek Spencer, perhaps that's not saying very much.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Predicted 44 seats for SNP, a population about the same as Yorkshire, gets to wield those votes on English issues.

Currently Yorkshire has 54 seats, so, on your population basis Scotland is currently under-represented in the UK parliament.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Actually I think you are arrogant (if not stupid) if you think tory voters don't care about other people.

Of course it's a little more nuanced than I am making out - If I can be slightly less binary, I don't believe that people are motivated to vote Tory by the betterment of the greater good, they are motivated to vote tory by an apparent opportunity to improve their own situation. That's the selfish bit. Then there's those who DO believe that the Tories are there for the greater good and that even the least well off benefit under their leadership, perhaps instead of stupid I can describe them as misguided. I certainly don't think they are correct.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Of course it's a little more nuanced than I am making out
Fair enough.
I don't believe that people are motivated to vote Tory by the betterment of the greater good, they are motivated to vote tory by an apparent opportunity to improve their own situation. That's the selfish bit. Then there's those who DO believe that the Tories are there for the greater good and that even the least well off benefit under their leadership
Ok, so you start by saying people aren't motivated to vote Tory for the greater good, and then you say that's actually why some do vote Tory.

Of course some vote purely for selfish reasons, and that applies to voters of all parties.

perhaps instead of stupid I can describe them as misguided. I certainly don't think they are correct.
And likewise I don't think people voting Labour for the greater good are correct either, because more often than not I think Labour damage our economy leading to everyone being worse off in the long run.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Amazing.... considering the most vocal lot on here are traditionally left of centre by some margin,.... they actually appear to be in the minority..... 16%.... odd considering they always post as if their view is in the majority,..... ie HT, DIP and Czechmate......

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Amazing.... considering the most vocal lot on here are traditionally left of centre by some margin,.... they actually appear to be in the minority..... 16%.... odd considering they always post as if their view is in the majority,..... ie HT, DIP and Czechmate......

You're not making much sense here. Have another go at whatever it is you're trying to say.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Of course it's a little more nuanced than I am making out - If I can be slightly less binary, I don't believe that people are motivated to vote Tory by the betterment of the greater good, they are motivated to vote tory by an apparent opportunity to improve their own situation. That's the selfish bit. Then there's those who DO believe that the Tories are there for the greater good and that even the least well off benefit under their leadership, perhaps instead of stupid I can describe them as misguided. I certainly don't think they are correct.
My late mother voted Tory since about 1964 when she did not know who to vote for and my father said Tory.

For every national and local election after that she voted Tory. She never really listened to the competing policies, and one year she was genuinely shocked that it was a Labour government that had introduced free bus passes, free TV licences and the winter fuel allowance for pensioners... She carried on voting Tory though.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You're not making much sense here. Have another go at whatever it is you're trying to say.
Naaah,... I would find it difficult to write a whole post in words of less than two syllables.... you will just have to ask someone to explain it to you.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
My late mother voted Tory since about 1964 when she did not know who to vote for and my father said Tory.

For every national and local election after that she voted Tory. She never really listened to the competing policies, and one year she was genuinely shocked that it was a Labour government that had introduced free bus passes, free TV licences and the winter fuel allowance for pensioners... She carried on voting Tory though.

Good, she was a bright woman. It baffles me when people say it's free. Free to the consumer for sure. Free though?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

........ and swathes of Labour heartland voters have voted Labour simply because they always have, their father and his father before that always have, everyone at the local working mans club did too...... why is that voting tradition any different? You are what your traditions lead you to be, whether that be your voting choices, or in fact where you go on holiday, which paper you buy,.. what beer you drink, whethyer you live on a farm, or a tower block.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You said you wanted foreign nationals working in our country to be silent.

I don't remember reading anywhere that people were kept silent in concentration camps. They were deprived of many thing, but as far as I know speech was not one of them. All in all I find your suggestion that I want foreign nationals put into concentration camps, as well as being totally unfounded, is rather silly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Naaah,... I would find it difficult to write a whole post in words of less than two syllables.... you will just have to ask someone to explain it to you.

You seemed to contradict yourself, that's all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here