Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United (and West Ham) under investigation over transfers

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Has the Premier League ever given a points deduction

Yes- twice

#Twats - 9 Points in 2009/10 (first PL side to enter administration)

1996/97 Middlesbrough
3 points deducted for the unauthorised postponing of a match

Middlesbrough were due to play at Blackburn in December but manager Bryan Robson claimed he was unable to field a competitive team as they had 23 players unavailable because of injury, illness or suspension. Middlesbrough postponed the match - but without the permission of the Premier League. As a result they were fined £50,000 and were docked three points, the loss of points seeing them relegated at the season's end.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1996/97 Middlesbrough
3 points deducted for the unauthorised postponing of a match

Middlesbrough were due to play at Blackburn in December but manager Bryan Robson claimed he was unable to field a competitive team as they had 23 players unavailable because of injury, illness or suspension. Middlesbrough postponed the match - but without the permission of the Premier League. As a result they were fined £50,000 and were docked three points, the loss of points seeing them relegated at the season's end.

Which was particularly hilarious at the time, because if they'd just turned up that day and lost the game, then they'd have stayed up.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Trying to think what links West Ham, Newcastle and dodgy football dealings..

Errrmmm....

Hull-City-v-West-Ham-United-Premier-League.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sadly, i have better things to do.

I am sure 99% of tax evasion goes unpunished for the reasons you state, but the fact HMRC and possibly the fraud squad are on to them will mean in this case no stone is unturned. As for the punishment, we will have to see what the crime is first.

Good response. I also have better things to do too. It's about time the transfer-related dealings of clubs were exposed and I'm particularly glad that it's Ashley, Gold and Sullivan that are currently in the firing line.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Surely, it's more likely to be West Ham haven't had enough tax payers money, and we've got to finance their Messi, and Bale bid in the close season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not just SJP that's been raided. I also saw another tweet saying HMRC turned up at 6.30am

[tweet]857176488935907328[/tweet]

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here