Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale to West Ham rumour

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Keeper is a very odd position, if I was an young "potential England" keeper (Stockdale isn't) I'd want to play for a club where I'm going to get a lot of action (football action BTW) and can show what I can do albeit behind a leaky defence. Many such keepers may be looking at Albion in that way before next season?

Tom Heaton,, Butland, Pickford have all advanced their careers by choosing to play for teams in the bottom half of the Prem.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I think it would be fairly easy to find a replacement who is as good a shot stopper as Stockdale

I think it would be fairly easy to find a replacement with as good distribution as Stockdale

I think it would be effing difficult to find a replacement who is as good at both

Then you are mental*

*unless you meant we could sign a random midfielder and play them in goal?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Then you are mental*

*unless you meant we could sign a random midfielder and play them in goal?

Maybe "fairly easy" was understating it somewhat. The point I was trying to make was that there are keepers out there as good as Stockdale in terms of shot stopping and distribution, but none who are so good at both aspects

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sadly there is no longer any player loyalty in the game now. Sky has made sure of that. With very few exceptions, players will go play for whichever club offers them the most £££. That's just the bottom line.

Even in the Championship; look at that **** Pritchard. Could have come to us with our great stadium, world class academy and training facilities, in a fantastic area with the Downs, the sea, the city, an exceptional manager, a Chairman who is a lifelong fan and superb, quality team-mates. And he decided to go to Norwich. It's all down to the ££££.

To be fair, I think that is a sweeping generalisation. Yes, some will go for the ££££s and nothing else matters, but not everyone. I don't think Stockdale would go just anywhere. If he was wanted by one of the really big clubs and have the opportunity for, say, European Football, possibly, but not West Ham.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Keeper is a very odd position, if I was an young "potential England" keeper (Stockdale isn't) I'd want to play for a club where I'm going to get a lot of action (football action BTW) and can show what I can do albeit behind a leaky defence. Many such keepers may be looking at Albion in that way before next season?

If there is one area that we are likely to be OK I reckon it will be in defence. What makes you think we will have a leaky one? Quick classy young strikers is where we always fail spectacularly, although we seem to be pretty good at finding wingers these days.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
You can replace a keeper. You can't easily replace a motivational and team-bonding character like Stockdale.

For that reason we should do everything possible to keep him (and Stephens).

It would be madness not to want to start next season with all of the major players who have delivered this season.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If there is one area that we are likely to be OK I reckon it will be in defence. What makes you think we will have a leaky one? Quick classy young strikers is where we always fail spectacularly, although we seem to be pretty good at finding wingers these days.

My point, poorly put, was that young keepers would favour playing for teams that they MAY perceive will struggle. However good our defence is we are going to be facing teams that will create more chances than us and a keeper would have more opportunity to show his attributes than playing for Chelsea, City or Utd, I'd guess?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here