Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Akpom - No Applause For Away Fans

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would let him go he's taking a space on the bench which we should be using for one of our own players who deserve it.
I would rather have one of our youth squad players on the bench who benefit from the experience of a big game.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I would let him go he's taking a space on the bench which we should be using for one of our own players who deserve it.
I would rather have one of our youth squad players on the bench who benefit from the experience of a big game.
Surely won't happen until after we are crowned Champions.

If that is at Norwich, then it'll depend on whether Bristol City are safe as to whether Hughton will feel he needs to respect the integrity of the league or not.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll see Towell + a couple of U23s at Villa if it is all wrapped up by then.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Damn, threads like this make you realise how much of a **** some of our fans really are. There is so much hatred for this kid shown in this thread with towards a player who hasn't actually done that much wrong. From what I can tell it's mostly hinged on the fact he had a poor performance against Blackburn.

Let's look at this from a neutral perspective: He's a 21 year-old who's had to move from his home, friends and family into an environment where everyone has known each other for at least two years - many in the squad have been together for 3-5 years and are good friends. It's not easy to arrive at a new place of work and immediately fit in, especially when there is such a tight bond between the group already.

He's assumably living in a hotel or being put up in a flat by the club which is difficult in itself - I know that when I move into a new place it takes me a few months to settle in and feel comfortable. Not only that he's joined a squad which is top of the league and expected to win every match - the amount of pressure to perform must be enormous. When Akpom came on against Ipswich I saw a player who was hungry to score a goal, wanted to be on the ball and wanted to make a name for himself to appease the fans. Despite his effort he was still written off by many people of NSC after his TEN MINUTE cameo. A few games later he starts against Blackburn and has a poor game, getting audibly booed by the fans as he trudges off the pitch. Why the **** would he want to play for a club where the fans boo you after about 180 minutes of football?

It's clearly been a downward spiral where poor support has lead to poor performances which has lead to poor support. The fact he was turned on so quickly hits me either as people being jealous this 21-year-old is getting paid your yearly salary in one week to sit on a bench, or huge expectations from knowing he plays for Arsenal and wanting to see a wonder kid rip teams apart each week. For those slating him, stop thinking with your emotions for one second and actually consider why it's come to the point Akpom feels so distant from this club he doesn't even look happy with a win that basically secured us promotion.

Great post. It hasn't gone well for him so far but he doesn't deserve the level of vitriol aimed at him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Actually starting to feel a tiny wee bit sorry for the lad. He's a complete outsider in a tightly-knit band of brothers on an absolute high, while he suddenly has to come to terms, at the age of 21, with a serious crossroads in his career. He'll be far more acutely aware than than anyone that he seriously blew his big chance v Blackburn. Which would have been hard enough to deal with. For it to be widely broadcast that he was actually booed off will just have compounded his misery. Pretty sure the money won't feel like much of a consolation to him at the moment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Damn, threads like this make you realise how much of a **** some of our fans really are. There is so much hatred for this kid shown in this thread with towards a player who hasn't actually done that much wrong. From what I can tell it's mostly hinged on the fact he had a poor performance against Blackburn.

Let's look at this from a neutral perspective: He's a 21 year-old who's had to move from his home, friends and family into an environment where everyone has known each other for at least two years - many in the squad have been together for 3-5 years and are good friends. It's not easy to arrive at a new place of work and immediately fit in, especially when there is such a tight bond between the group already.

He's assumably living in a hotel or being put up in a flat by the club which is difficult in itself - I know that when I move into a new place it takes me a few months to settle in and feel comfortable. Not only that he's joined a squad which is top of the league and expected to win every match - the amount of pressure to perform must be enormous. When Akpom came on against Ipswich I saw a player who was hungry to score a goal, wanted to be on the ball and wanted to make a name for himself to appease the fans. Despite his effort he was still written off by many people of NSC after his TEN MINUTE cameo. A few games later he starts against Blackburn and has a poor game, getting audibly booed by the fans as he trudges off the pitch. Why the **** would he want to play for a club where the fans boo you after about 180 minutes of football?

It's clearly been a downward spiral where poor support has lead to poor performances which has lead to poor support. The fact he was turned on so quickly hits me either as people being jealous this 21-year-old is getting paid your yearly salary in one week to sit on a bench, or huge expectations from knowing he plays for Arsenal and wanting to see a wonder kid rip teams apart each week. For those slating him, stop thinking with your emotions for one second and actually consider why it's come to the point Akpom feels so distant from this club he doesn't even look happy with a win that basically secured us promotion.

As good a post as that is, afraid the morons won't take it on board!!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I suppose we should be thankful that people have Akpom to moan about. Distracts them from slagging off Skalak, Bong, Hemed or whoever else they feel they have to criticise for no valid reason.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I see it more as an issue with Akpom with being too young (and naive) to appreciate opportunities
and being unaware that life is very, very fickle. That's life and that's people.

One day he'll reflect and realise that driving expensive cars and earning high wages does not last
if you take them for granted.

I would never boo a player.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I don't get the "difficult to fit in" comments.
Tomori seems to have fitted in rather well.

It's all about attitude and as much as I would never boo any of our players, I do want players that actually give a shit. I don't think Akpom falls into that category.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Slate me if I'm wrong, but I would put a bet on him having nothing to do with us winning the title, just my opinion.
I doubt anyone will take that bet, I expect we all feel the same.

Club we loaned him from should be paying us compensation, he's doing no one any favours and takes the place on the bench instead of another player who gives a s**t.
So are you wanting to have a go at Hughton? Presumably not, and it's Hughton who chooses to put him on the bench, so I'll support him (at the ground) if he's picked.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Remember the youngster we had from Man City a few years back, huge talent and man of the match at his debut, but something was wrong with his attitude in the dressing room.When you move to a new club or job, you have to fit in with the clubs ways and not your ideal way. Young Akpom probably still has a place in London which is and hour and a half a away, has social media, can access almost anything he wants and would be well supported by the clubs welfare. To think that he has been cast adrift is probably incorrect.

It maybe our expectation of him and his expectation of where he is coming from, but just look at those who clearly are fighting for a place, Pocognoli, Hunnemier, Hemed, Skalak, Murphy, Norwood, Sidwell and Rosenior. He would do well to look at their experience and approach, is that not what a loan is in part about?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
After warming up virtually on his own - at the end of the game whole squad comes over plus Bong and Rosenior - and all applaud away fans - apart from one

Akpom just walked around with his hands in his pockets
Too cool for school, but he may well still score the goal that wins us the league.

Best of luck to him.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
All this thread proves is that no matter how great and glorifying a moment can be, there'll always be someone looking out for the negatives.

Indeed.
No surprise that in this highly sensitive, easily offended, precious little world we all now live in, football fans are offended by not being clapped by players. I don't expect to be clapped by any player. I don't deserve it. It would be hypercritical. I spend most games tearing players to pieces for the slightest mistake. Why should they then clap me? It makes no sense.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Why does Hughton even both with him? Surely he can manage a bad attitude ?!

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
We'll be in the premier league whilst he is still stealing a living on loan at another championship club (god knows how he is still in this league let alone still at Arsenal).
I'd have rathered us call Halford back on loan and stick him u front now and again. Solves the wing back and striker problem in one! :rave: :D

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I doubt anyone will take that bet, I expect we all feel the same.

So are you wanting to have a go at Hughton? Presumably not, and it's Hughton who chooses to put him on the bench, so I'll support him (at the ground) if he's picked.

Not having a go at CH, maybe he was duped and given a false impression.
I myself have interviewed and employed people who seem to have the qualities required tonly to find out later that they were not suitable, hence a probationary period.
Maybe Apkom should view this as such, Arsenal could be looking to off load him, hence the loan.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not having a go at CH, maybe he was duped and given a false impression.
I myself have interviewed and employed people who seem to have the qualities required tonly to find out later that they were not suitable, hence a probationary period.
Maybe Apkom should view this as such, Arsenal could be looking to off load him, hence the loan.
Right, so we'll support him if picked then?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
When you consider the actual amount of minutes we've seen of him and the fact that people are having to watch him during bloody WARM UPS to justify their hatred, this whole situation becomes even more insane.

Leave the guy alone and enjoy watching Brighton PISS this league.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here