Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Using Phone while driving

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said many times that I accept that he was at fault and should have just ignored it and have told him so but I think the officer having agreed that he rejected the call was being a jobsworth.He could quite easily have said " I know, because I saw you reject the call but this is a warning that doing so is still an offence." It would have achieved the same result as regards my son.,

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The law is against holding electronic devices in the car. If you pick up a phone you are breaking the law. If you don't pick up the device, you are not breaking the law - hence why there are numerous hands-free holders you can buy for phones that mean you can operate them without picking them up. It's not texting that is illegal in itself, it's holding the device.

BUT there is also the offence of careless driving and others where the police determine you are not in full control of the vehicle. In those circumstances you can still be fined and get points even if you have a hands-free device. So, if you text on a hands-free system you may still get a fine and points, but you won't be fined for using a handheld electronic device.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It would appear that it is going to which raises a point are people fully concentrated on the road ahead when using a sat nav which shows road directions and turns.

No, because you're not using a sat-nav to perform an interactive communication function, such as calling, texting, using the internet. It's just telling you which way to go. It's not covered by the mobile phone legislation.

However, if I saw you driving whilst clearly being distracted by fiddling with your sat nav, I'd give you a ticket anyway, either driving without due care & attention, or not being in a position to have proper control of your vehicle.

:wink: :kiss: :thumbsup:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
If I received a text I would pull over and read it then act accordingly having heard the tone to tell me I have a text. As regards the tracking it is easy for them to check if a van is moving if so dont call the driver.quite simple. Check before making the call. I know the onus is on the driver not to answer the phone but he rejected the call because he was driving. As you say dont touch the phone so why give a driver a company phone?

My phone ( Not an Omsung) will not tell me that I have any messages........as soon as the phone is connected to the car bluetooth it blocks the messages, then you can only view them when bluetooth is disconnected or you STUPIDLY click 'Im not driving ' on the phone screen........of course most cars have blue tooth for phone calls as well...if not put the phone where you cant reach it.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I have said many times that I accept that he was at fault and should have just ignored it and have told him so but I think the officer having agreed that he rejected the call was being a jobsworth.He could quite easily have said " I know, because I saw you reject the call but this is a warning that doing so is still an offence." It would have achieved the same result as regards my son.,

How many times do you think they hear the "Oh, I was just rejecting a call", or "I was just turning it off", or "I was just [anything else]", though?

For what it's worth, I had somebody tell me once "Oh, it's OK: I wasn't using the phone. I was just sending an email" :facepalm: :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
It is not illegal as you say but I consider it inconsiderate by the firm to ring somebody and expect an answer, which presumably they do by ringing the person., The simple answer is to make it compulsory for company vehicles to be fitted with hands free and steering wheel controls.in the modern technology based age,.

Jeez. GPS trackers on vehicles aren't actually that accurate, and often update positions and speeds at fixed intervals (say every thirty seconds) rather than constantly. So there's actually no way they could tell if your son was driving or not, not to the nearest few seconds anyway. And what if they thought he'd stopped but was in fact stationary at traffic lights??

I presume that, by your logic, if you'd called him yourself and he got stopped by the police in the same circumstances, you'd be offering to stump up the cash for his fine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The officer in the plain unmarked Audi old him he had rejected the call while he was sat at the traffic lights. It is not the fine which ios the problem it is the 6 points.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
My other half spent an inordinate amount of time changing the clock on her car touch screen whilst driving. I guess this is illegal then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apparently Thames Valley Essex and The Met offer a course for such cases of technically being guilty but not actually using the phone.do Sussex. Police?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you're caught using your phone whilst driving and get caught, I hope the book is thrown at whoever is.
Round here I'm always seeing people on their phones whilst driving, typically there are no police around to catch these cretins.
Without stereotyping, it seems that it's mum's collecting their kids from school, lorry and van drivers. IMO :)

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I know quite a few people who chat with their phone in their lap. Or rather shout.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
The original post was "using phone whilst driving". Answer - turn it off before you set off, put it out of reach and don't turn it on again until you sre safely stopped and off the road. All this guff about swatting flies, turning on radios etc, has nothing whatsoever to do with it

Serious question, am I breaking the law as my car has been adapted to be driven with only 1 hand?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No, because you're not using a sat-nav to perform an interactive communication function, such as calling, texting, using the internet. It's just telling you which way to go. It's not covered by the mobile phone legislation.

However, if I saw you driving whilst clearly being distracted by fiddling with your sat nav, I'd give you a ticket anyway, either driving without due care & attention, or not being in a position to have proper control of your vehicle.

:wink: :kiss: :thumbsup:

How does using a phone in a cradle stuck to a windscreen as a sat nav? If your inputting a destination? Is that under the mobile phone legislation ? Or using a sat nav whilst driving?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Agree. I had the smell of whisky in my car for weeks after this happened to me.

I'm starting to think I'm clearly quite lucky! driving the car with a bottle of brandy in one hand and a fag in the other whilst steering the wheel with my knees, has always come easy to me, I also think this new law is unfair to those of us who have to eat there lunch whilst driving!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
How does using a phone in a cradle stuck to a windscreen as a sat nav? If your inputting a destination? Is that under the mobile phone legislation ? Or using a sat nav whilst driving?

No specific legislation for sat-navs, but as suggested previously, there are other offences that would easily fit the bill if you were seen doing what you describe whilst driving.

Let's be honest- if you're typing in a destination as you drive along, you are going to have your eyes and thoughts off the road in exactly the same way you are whilst texting. Some sat-navs will tell you not to do it, though of course you can override it if you're the passenger, or you just don't care :)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No specific legislation for sat-navs, but as suggested previously, there are other offences that would easily fit the bill if you were seen doing what you describe whilst driving.

Let's be honest- if you're typing in a destination as you drive along, you are going to have your eyes and thoughts off the road in exactly the same way you are whilst texting. Some sat-navs will tell you not to do it, though of course you can override it if you're the passenger, or you just don't care :)

I was thinking is it a lesser offence of using a sat nav while driving rather than using a phone whilst driving although your using the phone as a sat nav :)

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Surely you can do without a phone whilst driving. I’m that old I can remember standing in a box to make a phone call. :D

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here