Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Joshua v Parker

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Parker is a nice guy.Maybe too nice.In boxing it helps if you can hate your opponent and want to put him in hospital.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't think he was just a beast.He had great movement,hand speed and accuracy.
The shame of it is that we never saw the best of him because before he could peak he met
Robin Givens and from there on in it was downhill all the way.

I didn't say he was. Otherwise every "beast" would be a boxing WC. All WC's have a great array of skills to get to that level. But he didn't have the classic boxing skill of say Ali, Holmes or Lewis. Tyson was unorthodox and brutal, added to the skill.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I didn't say he was. Otherwise every "beast" would be a boxing WC. All WC's have a great array of skills to get to that level. But he didn't have the classic boxing skill of say Ali, Holmes or Lewis. Tyson was unorthodox and brutal, added to the skill.

Yes for sure he wasn't a boxer but a puncher.Probably his size would have meant trying to be a boxer wouldn't have worked as he was short by heavyweight standards.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Taken at the gym in Catskill where Tyson learned his trade.This was 2002.
I spent a few months there with friends and met Kevin Rooney at the gym.
It was great to visit the gym I'd seen so many times on tv and speak to people who went
to school with him and knew him etc including those friends of mine.Some interesting stories.
First went to Catskill in 1989 which was just after Tyson moved but I saw him once there.
By a freak of coincidence I met a british boxer at the gym who was in town that day
who was a big Tyson fan and went on to work for him a little as a photographer.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How can the judges differ so much on their scores? Just watched Ryan Burnett retain his title and 2 judge went 120 -108 in his favour but 1 went 116-112 to him. We worry about different opinions on players on here.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Why is everyone getting so excited about this?

It's a sham. A con and if you know anything about fighting then it's a no-contest.

So, all those mugs who've paid £150 or whatever for their tickets - you're fools.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
How can the judges differ so much on their scores? Just watched Ryan Burnett retain his title and 2 judge went 120 -108 in his favour but 1 went 116-112 to him. We worry about different opinions on players on here.

Please can you judge the Joshua fight tonight and post your scoring? I mean this very affectionately as I find some of your posts baffling but very enjoyable and would like to see if we are at least on the same page in boxing

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Price rocks Povetkin. Would be nice to see the drugs cheat lose.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Taken at the gym in Catskill where Tyson learned his trade.This was 2002.
I spent a few months there with friends and met Kevin Rooney at the gym.
It was great to visit the gym I'd seen so many times on tv and speak to people who went
to school with him and knew him etc including those friends of mine.Some interesting stories.
First went to Catskill in 1989 which was just after Tyson moved but I saw him once there.
By a freak of coincidence I met a british boxer at the gym who was in town that day
who was a big Tyson fan and went on to work for him a little as a photographer.

I used to buy imported Ring magazine in that era. I remember how Cus D'Amato saved him (temporarily as things later panned out).

A great time to love boxing for me. Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Curry, Honeyghan, McGuigan, W.Benitez, etc.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
I used to buy imported Ring magazine in that era. I remember how Cus D'Amato saved him (temporarily as things later panned out).

A great time to love boxing for me. Leonard, Hearns, Duran, Curry, Honeyghan, McGuigan, W.Benitez, etc.

Had Cus not died so early in Tyson's career then I think things may have been different. Cus as I'm sure you know was like a father to Tyson and they lived together in a big house in Catskill with other young boxers.
Yes that was a great time for boxing.Leonard,Hearns and Duran in particular all at the same time.Wow.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Had Cus not died so early in Tyson's career then I think things may have been different. Cus as I'm sure you know was like a father to Tyson and they lived together in a big house in Catskill with other young boxers.
Yes that was a great time for boxing.Leonard,Hearns and Duran in particular all at the same time.Wow.

Used to get up in the middle of the night to listen on BBC radio to the lot, then watch ITV show those mega fights soon after.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Used to get up in the middle of the night to listen on BBC radio to the lot, then watch ITV show those mega fights soon after.

Damn it we forgot Hagler !!!

Yes those big fights live on ITV before Sky took over.If I remember correctly ITV didn't have a build up like Sky with the fights beforehand.They just went straight to the time the big fight was scheduled and maybe caught just the end of the previous fight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here