Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What was the first game you can't remember?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can only really remember snippets of games I went to as s kid, but as an adult there is one that stands out massively- West Brom away on New Year’s Day in the early 90s.

We’d done the usual pub crawl for New Years Eve, me and my mate had made a big deal of binning our lighters as we were giving up smoking for New Year and we’d crashed round a mate’s gaff and got about 2 hours kip. Then back off to get an early train northwards.

On the train from Euston we met some Spurs fans and it wasn’t long before we were pinching their cigarettes and buying a train can from the buffet. On arrival in Smethwick we found an open pub, in which we were the only customers bar an alcoholic Sikh and what may well have been a brass.

I remember huge bags of local pork scratchings and I’m told we had at least 8 pints before we left. I know we got in the ground because one of our number immediately sat on the terraces and began puking uncontrollably. The OB and stewards left him to his fate as presumably it would have been too messy to eject him and everyone gave him a wide berth. I didn’t vom but to this day I cannot tell you the score nor remember a single minute of action, nor even what precise year it was. I vaguely remember leaving the ground at some point, drinking even more onthe train home and somehow awakening in my own bed on 2 Jan after what I was told was a very long sleep indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Excellent - now we're getting somewhere :lolol:
I'm pretty sure the score was 2-2. And Binney, I think, did score.
Any suggestions for a game which works with those factors?
Otherwise I'm back to square one.

I have done my homework :smile: and according to my big book of Albion knowledge.

Season 1974/75
28 August 74- v Reading, league cup 1st round replay.
21 December 74- v Plymouth, division 3

Both games finished 2-2, and Binney scored in both matches.

Hope this jogs your memory.

Edit - see post #21
March 10th 76 - score also 2-2 and Binney also scored.

Last edited:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I genuinely can't remember my first game, or what the score was. It was a Saturday for sure, and it was sometime between January 1966 (when I moved to Lancing) and the end of that season. Think it was Feb or March time. I have looked up the fixtures around that time to get a rough guess, but I still couldn't tell you.

I was sure my first home game was 1962/63 but now that I have looked it was more likely 1963/64. We lost but I cannot find any records of matches that season.I think it was March or possibly April.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I have done my homework :smile: and according to my big book of Albion knowledge.

Season 1974/75
28 August 74- v Reading, league cup 1st round replay.
21 December 74- v Plymouth, division 3

Both games finished 2-2, and Binney scored in both matches.

Edit - see post #21
March 10th 76 - score also 2-2 and Binney also scored.

Cheers! Plymouth game might have been it ��

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
The first home game after we played Leeds Utd in the FA Cup 3rd Round at the Goldstone Ground in 1989. I’ve no idea who we played or what the score was, but I kept coming back.

I can remember the Leeds game because I turned up and wasn’t able to get in as it was an all-ticket sell out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here