Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As David Davis once said

A democracy that cannot change its mind ceases to be a democracy

Exactly, I agree with him.
If when we have followed through on the democratic result to Leave and we have left, those that seek re-admission to the EU win the chance to hold a democratic referendum to rejoin ,I cant see a fair objection to another referendum unlike those non democrats that objected to the 2016 one happening in the first place.
Democracy must happen if a majority voted for it.
I don’t fancy your chances much tbh knowing that rejoining will mean no rebates or optouts, members of Schengen, adopting the Euro, fully signed up to ever closer union and a commitment to a Euro army and federal EU harmony, not to mention increasing loss of sovereign powers away from Westminster but that is a separate argument for the future.
Considering millions of remainers voted to remain in the belief the EU was screwed but we could change it by staying in, that will be a kick in the teeth enormous sell to them and the majority that voted Leave in the first place.
Now where do you stand? Abide by the democratic vote and Leave knowing we can democratically change our mind and rejoin in the future after we have left or ignore the democratic vote all together, destroy in an instant the relationship between parliament and the people and send democratic accountability into chaos with repercussions that don’t bear thinking about.?
Doesnt take a rocket scientist does it to figure out the correct answer.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
May has disastrously pitted herself against the EU with her rhetoric. Almost declared war. I expect OUR government to keep us informed, not the EU who May , with her aggressive posturing has stumbled into conflict with.

:laugh:
"Amost declared war" ?
Perhaps you could share what she has said, written or even done that led you to your conclusion she "Almost declared war"
Would hate to think it was just rubbish you had invented to fill up the gaps in your clown head.

I await your comprehensive list of almost declaring war

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll think you'll find merely working in a specific sector gives you a huge insight into all the issues re Brexit and an explicit understanding of the current state of the negotiations and the contingency planning of the government. We are truly blessed to have such a breadth of 'expert' knowledge on NSC.

Huge, no. But I’m comfortable that the work I do gives me an above average insight into a number of the main the issues involved. If it didn’t...I wouldn’t be doing my job properly. But none of this is secret. You too can read up on, for example, the mutual recognition process, unified patents or access to the numerous databases and research we currently participate in. Take access to disease databases for example, these are obviously governed by rules and laws which you’d need to agree to as you’d expect. Unfortunately these are EU rules and laws which some don’t want to be governed by. Do you see the conundrum? I doubt many know about this so I do have some insight....would you agree?

And I can probably make an educated guess as to the state of negotiations....they don’t seem to be going well.

So, if you want to have a sensible discussion I’m game. If you want to make posts like the one I have replied to I’ll pass.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
just caught up with a programme over breakfast from last night on BBC iplayer.
My Country a work in progress.
Adaption of a National Theatre play about Brexit, its very well done, no bias just an observation so should appeal to everyone.

Had to snigger when they were sitting around the dinner table......sounded like a NSC discussion

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Huge, no. But I’m comfortable that the work I do gives me an above average insight into a number of the main the issues involved. If it didn’t...I wouldn’t be doing my job properly. But none of this is secret. You too can read up on, for example, the mutual recognition process, unified patents or access to the numerous databases and research we currently participate in. Take access to disease databases for example, these are obviously governed by rules and laws which you’d need to agree to as you’d expect. Unfortunately these are EU rules and laws which some don’t want to be governed by. Do you see the conundrum? I doubt many know about this so I do have some insight....would you agree?

And I can probably make an educated guess as to the state of negotiations....they don’t seem to be going well.

So, if you want to have a sensible discussion I’m game. If you want to make posts like the one I have replied to I’ll pass.

Not something I know a great deal about really.
Can you explain how the bilateral agreements the EMA has with non EU regulators such as in USA, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Israel, Russia, India and China on international harmonisation of standards restricts access these countries have to disease databases. Is it just written into the agreements they have that they are not allowed access to these databases?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can you explain how the bilateral agreements the EMA has with non EU regulators such as in USA, Switzerland, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Israel, Russia, India and China on international harmonisation of standards restricts access these countries have to disease databases. Is it just written into the agreements they have that they are not allowed access to these databases?

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking but if you ask a specific question I’ll try. And just to clarify I’m not claiming I know everything. My area is reasesrch and development.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I’m not quite sure what you’re asking but if you ask a specific question I’ll try. And just to clarify I’m not claiming I know everything.

Ok, ill try and simplify, all these non EU countries have various bilateral agreements with the EMA but are they still restricted via these agreements to access to disease databases

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Exactly, I agree with him.
If when we have followed through on the democratic result to Leave and we have left, those that seek re-admission to the EU win the chance to hold a democratic referendum to rejoin ,I cant see a fair objection to another referendum unlike those non democrats that objected to the 2016 one happening in the first place.
Democracy must happen if a majority voted for it.
I don’t fancy your chances much tbh knowing that rejoining will mean no rebates or optouts, members of Schengen, adopting the Euro, fully signed up to ever closer union and a commitment to a Euro army and federal EU harmony, not to mention increasing loss of sovereign powers away from Westminster but that is a separate argument for the future.
Considering millions of remainers voted to remain in the belief the EU was screwed but we could change it by staying in, that will be a kick in the teeth enormous sell to them and the majority that voted Leave in the first place.
Now where do you stand? Abide by the democratic vote and Leave knowing we can democratically change our mind and rejoin in the future after we have left or ignore the democratic vote all together, destroy in an instant the relationship between parliament and the people and send democratic accountability into chaos with repercussions that don’t bear thinking about.?
Doesnt take a rocket scientist does it to figure out the correct answer.

I think if you are going to change your mind about something quite drastic, it is best to do it before you take the drastic action.
It is going to leave scars.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think if you are going to change your mind about something quite drastic, it is best to do it before you take the drastic action.
It is going to leave scars.

I already knew you were in the ignore brexit before it happens camp because we are fvcked trying to persuade people to rejoin that shower of crap.
Not sure why you felt the need to comment xx

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I can probably help you with this. All bilateral agreements are obtained by negociation. Each one dealt with by separate teams. Taking time. Which was, I think, part of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]'s point.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ok, ill try and simplify, all these non EU countries have various bilateral agreements with the EMA but are they still restricted via these agreements to access to disease databases

Agreements would be the key word here.
Quite a lot of you have been saying that we should pay nothing, walk away and trade on WTO terms, no deal is better, etc.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here