Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Labour has turned into a party of the middle classes

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Well if you insist.

First up I agree that the people who should be helped / targetted by our politicians are firstly and foremost those born here. Secondly I agree with the common rebuttals of the cricket test. Both based on my own experiences of living abroad as much as anything.

When I lived in Aus and also East Asia I still felt British and I would have still if I'd permanently emigrated. I'd have considered any children born there as "belonging" to the country of their birth. However, their choice of cricket team / football team would be entirely a matter for them. I'd still have my England football, rugby and cricket tops and that would be who I'd cheer for. I'd imagine that would influence a small child every bit as much as their school mates.

An ex colleague of mine is Indian but lived for a while in Toronto and now in Melbourne. On his FB photos he's recently been seen wearing a Maple Leafs hockey shirt, and both a India and Australia one day cricket kit (both during the World Cup). A little like being a Chelsea fan but occasionally popping down to your local club and its message board eh?
I agree with some of the highlighted parts of your post
, however you hadnt emigrated for good had you, if i emigrated id make it my business to fully embrace the country i had moved to , that isnt the case with a large proportion of immigrants to this country, as for the kids , i would influence them as to their allegiances, letting them know their heritage but reminding them that first and foremost they were aussie/kiwi/canadian etc,as for your last point , its nothing like occasionally popping down to your local club and message board , are you seriously trying to equate the question of nationality with support for a local football club ? for the record i dont just 'occasionally pop down either, ive had a season ticket for myself and two kids for three years and the eldest one has switched his allegiance to brighton fully, all in all your post doesnt really say a lot .

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
good start is
no trident
no 100billion rail link to save 20 minutes to brum
and of coarse free compost bins
The local council here is imposing a £30 annual fee from June 1st to take away garden waste in the brown wheelie bins on a fortnightly basis between March and November. Only 1 in 7 households has opted to pay the "Grass Tax". Most of us thought the brown wheelie bins would come in handy as a compost bin but that isn't the case , the council wants the bins back from non payers so it can charge a £25 replacement fee to residents in the recycling scheme who have their brown bins nicked or set on fire.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
There was a top down reorganisation of the nhs that did anything except look at care and safety.

Education changes were not focussed on standards for all. It was ideology driven

Benefits changes were scattergun and I'll thought through, thought on the basis that all benefits claimants are scroungers

Tax has gone from progressive to regressive ( greater reliance on vat) and giving a tax cut at the top end hoping that trickle down would work. No plans to tackle non doms or corporate tax avoidance

In a nutshell

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The local council here is imposing a £30 annual fee from June 1st to take away garden waste in the brown wheelie bins on a fortnightly basis between March and November. Only 1 in 7 households has opted to pay the "Grass Tax". Most of us thought the brown wheelie bins would come in handy as a compost bin but that isn't the case , the council wants the bins back from non payers so it can charge a £25 replacement fee to residents in the recycling scheme who have their brown bins nicked or set on fire.

I will say one thing about Carmarthenshire council while we lived there we go all waste seperated and the were giving free compost bins away, Eastbourne are also very good for recycleing
do your local council give any reasons for this

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I love the way that Andy Burnham is being painted as a rampant loony leftie. Yes he has union backing but he's no Derek Hatton or Ken livingstone

For me, when I come to vote for leader, we will need a similar marriage to that seen with John Prescott and tony Blair in my view. And lets not forget that Blair's first term was actually quite radical (minimum wage etc)

For me it needs to be someone who;

Supports workers of whatever 'class' they are
Understands that many people go into business, not with the aim to fleece employees, and so support them and other entrepreneurs
Understand that the principle of education and integrated health and care which is free at point of use, and which has safety and care at the centre, should be the key aim NOT who supplies it...potentially taking the nhs out of political controls by having a cross party board for it
Invest in all activities that promote people's aspirations and opportunities
Accept and understand that benefits can and should help the 'real' poor and be prepared to tackle the (albeit heavily overstated) game players
Fair tax for all, including closing avoidance schemes and tackling evasion
Not assume anybody having concerns about immigration is a racist. Yes some are racists but deal with them separately

I'm not saying labour wasn't doing most of these. Hut we need to ensure that people are clear how amd why it will get done

Tony Blair did some good things? Shhh. Don't say it out loud. Nobody would believe you.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Of course that little difference of opinion in Iraq may have somewhat dented his reputation

Plus the fact that going in with Bush, the USA banks etc made lots of money from the war........surprise surprise one of them J P Morgan pay him 2m a year.....hand in hand, good Labour values eh.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
How did the us banks make money from the war? I'm not being obtuse, most banks lose money in time of conflict

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Opinions are like etc etc - the point is to look at the data!!!

Labour INCREASED its support among the middle classes compared to its last general election victory

Please define 'Middle Class' ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here